Choctaw bingo, a song about the north Texas/southern Oklahoma methamphetamine industry

joethemechanic

Post by joethemechanic » Wed. Dec. 02, 2020 10:53 pm

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Dec. 03, 2020 7:34 am

McMurtry is one heck of a good writer, leans left like many Americana folk rockers do. His Dad wrote the movie Lonesome Dove so writing runs in the family. I guess its a matter of opinion, but I think the song is about more than just meth even though he says that at the start of this audio copy. Ray Wylie Hubbard made a little bit slower copy of the song. I dont know how anyone can remember all the lyrics while singing it. Great song though.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Dec. 03, 2020 7:41 am

I regress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by freetown fred on Fri. Dec. 04, 2020 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

joethemechanic

Post by joethemechanic » Thu. Dec. 03, 2020 1:28 pm

One night I stopped to see the kids at the local garage/junkyard/motorcycle hang out/trailer Park. They were having a bonfire way in the back by the old stripping hole burning up a couple of dump truck loads of debris from the house they tore down. They all we're sitting around on stacks of old tires drinking beer smoking cigarettes and tending to the fire.

Someone had a big Bluetooth speaker and I connected to it and I played Choctaw bingo. When he said "north Texas/southern Oklahoma crystal methamphetamine industry " everything stopped and you could almost hear a pin drop. Even the crazy looking junkyard dwelling girls came out of their trailers and motorhomes.

Everybody was like who sings this? They loved it, I played McMurtry songs for hours.

God, I love living in the anthracite region LOL;

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Dec. 04, 2020 7:13 am

Yep, that's wonderful J!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

joethemechanic

Post by joethemechanic » Fri. Dec. 04, 2020 9:23 am

I spent over 50 years living in bucks county in a "nice "suburb of Philadelphia. In those 50 years I saw my town go from 15,000 people to about 100,000 now. Most of them that came are not exactly productive citizens even if half of them or maybe more hide behind nice haircuts and good landscaping. Everybody's running a "get over on the next guy "game.

After living through that and getting out of there while the property values were good, living here on the side of the Hill on a handful of acres surrounded by hillbillies it seems like living in Paradise

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Dec. 04, 2020 9:43 am

Sooo, was it Doylestown--yep, that's gone to hell in a hand basket!! Me---I was raised in Upper Black Eddy--now where I live--not on the side of the hill but the actual hill. Nobody out this way is very thrilled with methadrine, nazi's or *censored* (bein a mentality, not a color). Neither am I. Funny how a bunch of flat landers move out of theiir "bad areas" & try to turn the new into the old---they don't last long!

joethemechanic

Post by joethemechanic » Fri. Dec. 04, 2020 11:24 am

Upper Black Eddy huh. Did you know Nick Pastore that had the big auto salvage yard there? He had three of them one in newportville PA, one in upper Black Eddy, and it was a third one in bucks county but I forget where or I should say I forget the name of the town.

He died roughly 10 years ago, I'm pretty sure he was well into his 90s. I always remember him telling me one time that his first garage/savage yard had a mortgage payment of $28 per month and he had to work hard a lot of months because that $28 was tough to come up with.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Dec. 04, 2020 11:43 am

No on the junk yards. Left Upper Black Eddy in 63--did 2 tours in the Nam & never went back. My Grandfather & Father both farmed so I know about hard work to keep the bills paid.

joethemechanic

Post by joethemechanic » Fri. Dec. 04, 2020 12:01 pm

Yeah he was one lonely cottage road in upper Black Eddy. I think he bought that place sometime in the 1960s, really big yard for Auto salvage I'm thinking between 50 and 100 acres. He was a good guy to deal with, old timer kind of junkyard he'd put you in the general direction of where he thought something would be, and as you got farther and farther back the cars got older and older until you got to the ones with the trees growing through them. One time I was way in the back with his daughter and we were looking at a tree growing through a junk tire and trying to decide if it would be easier to cut the tree down or cut the tire off of the tree.

Return to “Pro Sports, Entertainment, Movies & TV”