Rock the Flock

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Sep. 09, 2017 7:15 am

As many of you know, having retired from building battleships for the US Navy a year ago my wife and I simply tend sheep now. Our farm is kind of unique, it is situated high on a hill and overlooks Mount Washington some 150 miles away. It has quite a view to say the least.

Our church brings in kids from the Belfast Projects every Wednesday and feeds them and a good friend of mine helps out. He is a rocker for a Christian rock band so we started talking about doing an outdoor concert at my farm. That was back in January, but things started getting intense in May. We decided to call it Rock the Flock, had 3 bands lined up, and some speakers. The biggest thing was, we decided any money raised would go to Teen Challenge.

Here in Maine drug overdoses are at an all time high. While I have never got into that thing, I know plenty who have. My best friend died of an overdose, then my ex-brother in law died, and a friend. It is out of control; about 1 person per day here in Maine. Teen Challenge is a faith-based program that has a 87% success rate...state based programs have a lousy 3% success rate. Tee challenge has a sucky name because they will help anyone...regardless of insurance or income. You need help, you are in the program, no questions asked.

In the end we ended up with 350 people at the event, we raised $2509, ended up with a woman accepting Jesus, and doing 10 baptisms. It was a really great night and we intend to do it again.

Thankfully our church crisis team met just this week and got a guy that has been struggling with addiction into a drug rehab program so one more will hopefully be saved from addiction. Again I never got into drugs...never having even tried it, smoked or drank, but my heart goes out to them. They just have something missing and I know what they need, and so does Teen Challenge. If you know someone who needs help, feel free to check out Teen Challenge as they are nation wide. They are also successful.

In any case, it was great for my wife and I to use our farm for something that benefits the community.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Fri. Sep. 22, 2017 12:07 pm

Sounds like you had a great event! I have known about Teen Challenge for about 40 years, they have been around here for at least that long. Fortunately I never needed them. I never tried illegal drugs and don’t intend to at this point in my life. I once took a Vicodin for pain and puked my guts out an hour later so narcotic pain pills are not something I want to ever take again either.

Your location sounds great.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Sep. 22, 2017 12:58 pm

Well done indeed. On the other send of the spectrum 24% of the population is addicted to opioids. Most of that through scripts. Now CVS is limiting stock and in their own way trying to attack the older folk. It really is a national crisis. I think have a solution but no one is going to listen to a rambling old fart.

Lead on MacDuff. (Now is the winter of our discontent. First heard in the FC store when it was -20* outside)
Last edited by coalnewbie on Fri. Sep. 22, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Sep. 22, 2017 1:02 pm

24%? That is ridiculous, where did you get that number?

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Sep. 22, 2017 1:19 pm

Not quite like that but of the 20.5 million Americans 12 or older that had a substance use disorder in 2015, 2 million had a substance use disorder involving prescription pain relievers and 591,000 had a substance use disorder involving heroin. I am looking for where I got the number from originally.

https://www.asam.org/docs/default-source/advocacy/opioid-addiction-disease-facts-figures.pdf

gaw

Post by gaw » Fri. Sep. 22, 2017 1:19 pm

coaledsweat wrote:24%? That is ridiculous, where did you get that number?
2 is just above the W,E keys; 4 is just above the E,R keys; and % is just above R,T keys while simultaneously pressing the “Shift” key. :lol: :lol:

gaw

Post by gaw » Fri. Sep. 22, 2017 1:28 pm

There is addiction and dependence but the difference is mostly what you call it. You have to love medicine, the medical establishment pushed these pain pills years ago now they are lamenting the fact that everyone became a drug addict. They railed against fat and now everyone is type 2 diabetic. If they found that most people died in their sleep they would prescribe no one should ever sleep. I do use modern medicine but I also think we must be informed consumers because the doctor is not always right… but I am drifting from the main topic.

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Sep. 22, 2017 6:33 pm

I have no problems with thread drift as long as Richard S is not. It happens in real conversation and bound to happen here.

Myself, I have never taken illegal drugs either, nor am I a big fan of medication in general (though I do take some for seizures and now my thyroid). However, trust me when I say I have vices. Yes God took some of those vices out of my life when I got saved, but some he chose to let me struggle with, which I still do. Who am I to say a person who struggles with addiction is inferior to me? I cannot, just a sinner now saved by grace, that is who I am and ever will be.

I support Teen Challenge because they change an addicts heart and their success rate is 87%. The typical state funded program: 3%.

If there is an outrage it is that because of separation of church and state statutes do not allow our tax dollars to go to the more productive programs. What a shame. Would you guys like me building ships still if only 3% of my welds passed on a Billion Dollar US Navy Destroyer like I used to build? Unacceptable, yet it is with people's lives that want to change. That is sad.

But while I cannot be held accountable as to what the state government does with tax money given to them, I am responsible for my time and money. That is why I support Teen Challenge. (Which by the way is a crappy name, they serve adults as well).

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Fri. Sep. 22, 2017 8:05 pm

I have heard the 24% number as well and havingmoved from Maine to Tenn. with Maine's epidemic along with NH, Tenn. is now the number one prescription drug abuse state. My wife has a prescription for a scheduled drug, and it is not available many times to pick up. I use Ambian, and I cannot get it for more then 30 day supplies now. My last Dr visit was informative as we discussed the problems and the response from the Feds.

Kevin

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Sep. 27, 2017 11:41 am

After my wifes brush with death this year, she also tried many drugs but still had great difficulty with sleeping and recurring nightmares. Now I rub her feet for 10 minutes every night before bed and this puts her right out and she now sleeps like a baby and no bad dreams. ... and no guys, I do not offer this as a service. I am not sure she still needs it but she says she does -- have I been suckered???? Foot reflexology is a real thing. You know just like religion, praying works just as well. Rock the Flock indeed.

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Sep. 27, 2017 4:31 pm

This is a difficult thing for me to explain because as a Christian I believe in God and not some magical power, but also know stress affects every living thing as I have seen it in sheep, cows, etc. For instance on the dairy farm when we started over-crowding the cows and stressing them, they gave less milk. But I also do not believe us humans have got everything figured out too. Does reflexxology aid in disrupting a poor energy field? I have no idea, but know that God instituted marriage and the bond that develops between husband and wife rubbing out aches is NOT a bad thing. Oh the conversations that happen just being alone.

I say that because my wife rubs my back a lot, and I rub her feet. She likes it, we have been married for 7 years now, and I actually still like her, so we'll probably continue that tradition!! :-)

Good for you CoalNewBie, good for you.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Sep. 28, 2017 12:09 am

The heroin/fentanyl problem is big on The Cape too...
Our town alone had over 100 od with a pop of 21000...
My wife worked in a 'nice' drug/alcohol facility for several years...
Now works for a large primary care practice...
Lots of calls for detox protocols...
They busted people shooting up heroin in the hospital parking lot...

Return to “Pro Sports, Entertainment, Movies & TV”