TCM's Robert Osborne-Dead at 84

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Mar. 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Seems like while We were trying to figure out why Our Coal Board wasn't available,TCM's vaunted Host and Human Encyclopedia of Movies Past,namely Mr. Robert Osborne,filed his last interview and passed away in his sleep on 6Mar2017.

As far as I'm concerned,no one cut through the fog of Old Celluloid better than the Osborne. He did it for 23 years on TCM. I've enjoyed every damned one of them. A consumate Gentleman,he just did it right,every time. My Arch Enemy,Alec Baldwin,gets a rare Free Pass from me regarding his collaboration with The Osborne.... Yes,it was that good !

They're celebrating The Osborne's work this entire weekend on TCM. See it before it's concluded........ I'm a little surprised at just how much I'm going to miss the Old Boy !

Roll The Film,Bob !~ :angel:

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Mar. 19, 2017 7:43 pm

Agreed, I liked him as well. As I mentioned before I don't have cable or satellite service but my mom watches TCM constantly, so I have seen it at her place.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Mar. 20, 2017 1:53 pm

Nice post Bob! When I was a youngen my mom would curl up on the sofa and watch old films, mostly all were black and white...and she would tell me how much better the actors, writers, and plots were. We would share a string of Ritz Crackers or Saltines with peanut butter, mom would have tea and I would pray we had ginger ale.

Fast forward, mom still loves the old movies and so do I, if I'm watching the tube it's either news, sport, or TCM not in that order. The last few yrs I really enjoyed Robert Osborne's interviews and his 2 minute dialog setting up the next movie or the occasional intermission. Mr Osborne brought the 30's, 40's, and 50's into your living room and educated viewers to times not witnessed.

He was the Eternal gentleman as stated and will be missed. R.I.P. Robert Oborne.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Mar. 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Yup, he was good. Had TCM on cable off and on over the years. We love the old movies. Especially the fact that you can hear what the actors are saying because they are not being drowned out by the non-stop music of just about every movie made for the past couple of decades.

He will be missed. RIP.

Paul

Return to “Pro Sports, Entertainment, Movies & TV”