Getting Rid of Satellite TV

northernmainecoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Nut/Stove

Post by northernmainecoal » Sun. Jan. 17, 2016 10:07 am

We're sick of paying $110 a month for TV and finding nothing to watch. I've just started looking at different streaming devices and right now I'm leaning towards a Roku device. What are your opinions on all the different ones available? Apple TV, Amazon, ect...

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 17, 2016 10:10 am

If you have a hefty broadband connection you are more likely to be content with it.

My inconsistent 3 Meg DSL didn't cut it. I sent it back.

northernmainecoal

Post by northernmainecoal » Sun. Jan. 17, 2016 10:14 am

Lightning wrote:If you have a hefty broadband connection you are more likely to be content with it.

My inconsistent 3 Meg DSL didn't cut it. I sent it back.
That's the other thing I need to change, right now we're just using data through the cell service. I plan to cut that way back and get internet here that should be about 5 Mbps download

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 17, 2016 10:17 am

I think your first step will be seeking out broadband service. Don't even consider satellite for that if you can't get good DSL or cable Internet connection. Satellite Internet has capped bandwidth usage and is usually quite expensive.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 17, 2016 10:19 am

There are others that also use HI Def over the air TV channels that are very successful.

I believe member Rob did this, hopefully he can chime in.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 17, 2016 10:24 am

My brother just cancelled his Dish service also. He is happy with the over-the-air content in our area and Netflix/Amazon via a Roku box.

I have two Roku boxes in my house and like the performance and selection of applications compared to what came with our smart TV.

PM me your address and I will see what over the air channels you can pick up with an antenna.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Jan. 17, 2016 10:43 am

Im at a little over 3 MB internet and have no problems with my roku working well. I used netflix when my web was at about .6 MB and it buffered then. I have netflix and over the air channels, thats it. Im on top of the world here and can get a lot of over air channels. Your results may vary.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Jan. 17, 2016 11:03 am

The Mrs bought us the Amazon FireStick for Christmas. I have yet been able to take the time to sit and go through the 1000's of titles but the Mrs. and my son enjoy it. The picture is movie theater quality on our $150.00 bedroom flat screens

northernmainecoal

Post by northernmainecoal » Sun. Jan. 17, 2016 11:05 am

michaelanthony wrote:The Mrs bought us the Amazon FireStick for Christmas. I have yet been able to take the time to sit and go through the 1000's of titles but the Mrs. and my son enjoy it. The picture is movie theater quality on our $150.00 bedroom flat screens
What do you guys use for internet down there?

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Jan. 17, 2016 11:13 am

northernmainecoal wrote:
michaelanthony wrote:The Mrs bought us the Amazon FireStick for Christmas. I have yet been able to take the time to sit and go through the 1000's of titles but the Mrs. and my son enjoy it. The picture is movie theater quality on our $150.00 bedroom flat screens
What do you guys use for internet down there?
We get it through our cable provider...BeeLine based in Skowhegan.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 17, 2016 1:14 pm

I had a Firestick and got frustrated at the WIFI network issues with it. Apparently it is a common problem. I have had no such issues with the Roku boxes and WIFI, but it does seem like the performance is a little better over our wired network. I have a Roku 3 hooked to a 65" TV, and occasionally stream 1080p content...that one is hooked up via Ethernet.

One thing I like about the Roku interface is the search feature. You can search by title, actor, etc, and it searches all available applications. e.g. If you search for "John Candy" it will give you a list of all of the movies on Netlflix, Amazon, Crackle, etc that he acted in.

I have the 50 mbps internet service from Time Warner and it is outstanding for streaming.

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Sun. Jan. 17, 2016 2:19 pm

I currenty have Hughes net satelite for internet but am cancelling it this month and going with Verizon mobile broadband. Verizon wireless is faster than satelite and is going to drop my monthly charges by $75 per month. The only down side from that is I have an Apple air vault with built in wifi. I could access that hard drive through wifi wirelessly. Now it does not even show up as a drive. I have to find out if I can directly hook up through USB port. I also got rid of satellite TV 2 years ago and bought an antenna for over air HD tv. I get 15 channels free of charge. I was using Netflix but they only had their lower rated movies on the standard rate. The movies I wanted to watch were "rentals" at another charge. I dropped them too as I don't watch much TV anyways. Have not tried Amazon.

Randy

northernmainecoal

Post by northernmainecoal » Sun. Jan. 17, 2016 3:05 pm

Photog200 wrote:I currenty have Hughes net satelite for internet but am cancelling it this month and going with Verizon mobile broadband. Verizon wireless is faster than satelite and is going to drop my monthly charges by $75 per month. The only down side from that is I have an Apple air vault with built in wifi. I could access that hard drive through wifi wirelessly. Now it does not even show up as a drive. I have to find out if I can directly hook up through USB port. I also got rid of satellite TV 2 years ago and bought an antenna for over air HD tv. I get 15 channels free of charge. I was using Netflix but they only had their lower rated movies on the standard rate. The movies I wanted to watch were "rentals" at another charge. I dropped them too as I don't watch much TV anyways. Have not tried Amazon.

Randy
My first move has to be to get suitable internet at the house. Right now the only option I know of is a wireless service provider here in town who offer a package designed for streaming content and is $70/month. If we get that and drop the satellite that's a $40 savings per month.

Provided we find a suitable internet source we'll also be looking to significantly reduce the $220/month cell bill by dropping most of the data plan

Time Warner Cable is available in town here but last I checked they don't have service run on this road. We have our cell phones through Verizon, maybe I should check with them and see if they have high speed internet available where the data isn't limited like it is with the cell phone plans??

Is the Verizon mobile broadband your speaking of through the cellphone provider?

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Sun. Jan. 17, 2016 3:20 pm

The plan I have with Verizon includes 18gb of data and phone service. I also went with their mobile device so as to not use the hotspot on the phone. All total, the bill is $175. Per month. You can also bump up to 20gb for $20 more per month. I recenty went to a laptop computer so this works with the wifi. When I had the desktop computer, didn't work with wifi so that is when I went with satelite internet. That would go out every time a storm cam through and was not much faster than DSL.

I don't have cable available here either. It stopped 5 houses up the road and they said it would not be worth it to them to continue up the road for just 5 more houses.

Randy

Edit: I forgot to answer your question, yes, it is through the celular phone provider
Last edited by Photog200 on Sun. Jan. 17, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 17, 2016 3:43 pm

It is worth a call to your local phone company to see what they have available for DSL packages. Depending on how far you are located from the nearest "hub", you may be able to get some decent speeds. My mom and dad have DSL and it works fine with Netflix and Amazon video.

Return to “Pro Sports, Entertainment, Movies & TV”