The Greatest Defense of All Time

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 8:10 pm

Statistically speaking.... There is a very comprehensive analysis here:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/3/10/77 ... nalysis-on

Here's is the main points, rankings based on raw defensive and offensive statistics for each team. The offensive statistics are being used here to determine how much work the defense needed to do to maintain these stats.
1 1977 Falcons
2 1976 Steelers
3 2000 Ravens
4 1991 Eagles
5 2008 Steelers
6 1973 Rams
7 1985 Bears
Adjusted based on the the teams they played, the Eagles are now number two:
1 1976 Steelers
2 1991 Eagles
3 1985 Bears
4 1977 Falcons
5 2008 Steelers
6 1973 Rams
7 2000 Ravens
Conclusions.....
Next in the raw numbers statistics comes the 1991 Eagles. They have many arguments to support them as the best of the remaining 3 defenses. They were the only defense (post '70s) to have a positive Opponent Offensive Factor. In fact, not only did they play a very balanced schedule in terms of top half and bottom half offenses, but they played 3 games against top 3 scoring offenses and 4 against top 5 offenses (both scoring and yards). Both of these are more than any other defense.

... the fact that the 1991 Eagles offense ranked 26th in yards and 21st in rushing yards, and the 1991 Eagles accomplishments become even more impressive. The only possible knock on them in this analysis is that the year 1991 had the 4th overall average offensive statistics.

....., I would actually give the '91 Eagles the nod, because they had a much less competent offense to complement them, particularly rushing the football, the safest and most tested way to keep your defense fresh, off the field, and limited in their exposure to the extremely capable offenses of professional football. Even though they gave up the most points per game in this analysis, their rush offense was terrible. Given the number of top 5 offenses that they faced, and their lack of a good rushing attack to keep those offenses off the field, the fact that they gave up the most points in this analysis doesn't bother me much.

In fact, after checking, I discovered that their offense had 43 giveaways that season. So, not only did the offense not help in terms of limiting offensive opponents' opportunities, it actually gave the opponent's more offensive opportunities. I was not able to find how many of them lead directly to points, but when you turn the ball over that often, it's amazing that they only allowed 244 points.
I'll have to agree, :D

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 8:52 pm

Opinionated man c'mon. :twisted: You know the 27th and 28th super bowl champs had one of the best offenses of all time :rofl: :notworthy: . I love football season.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 9:22 pm

I'm guessing the title should be greatest "defense"??

I think the 2000 Ravens offense was way worse than the '91 Eagles. Cant say about their strength of schedule I don't remember that well enough.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 9:24 pm

I was going to say the democratic party .... but then I realized this "offense" is in reference to sports. :D

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 9:49 pm

titleist1 wrote:I'm guessing the title should be greatest "defense"??
Yes and corrected, not sure how I possibly managed to screw that up. LOL Obviously when I'm talking about the 91 Eagles with Reggie White, Clyde Simmons, Jerome Brown, Seth Joyner, Eric Allen and "Dirty" Waters we're talking about defense here.
Cant say about their strength of schedule I don't remember that well enough.
In this analysis the Ravens get the boot early because their schedule was against nobodies.

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 9:59 pm

When I die I want Andy Reid to be one of the pall bearers at my funeral!!! :o That way I can have the final satisfaction that he has let me down one last time!!!! :cry2:

anthony7812

Post by anthony7812 » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 10:00 pm

I just thought you guys had bad OPINIONS haha oops. Sticken with super bowl 27 and 28 champs. :twisted: :box: :clap:

anthony7812

Post by anthony7812 » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 10:01 pm

Duengeon master wrote:When I die I want Andy Reid to be one of the pall bearers at my funeral!!! :o That way I can have the final satisfaction that he has let me down one last time!!!! :cry2:
bwaahahaahaha You sound just like my father in law.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 10:12 pm

anthony7812 wrote:I just thought you guys had bad OPINIONS haha oops. Sticken with super bowl 27 and 28 champs. :twisted: :box: :clap:
There was great quote I heard when they interviewing someone that went something along the lines of Philly fans don't care about the Super Bowl because they won games like the "Body Bag Game". :lol:

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 10:24 pm

There was a game against Houston that I remember being just as bad as the Redskins Body Bag game but since it wasn't MNF it didn't get the national publicity.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 6:16 am

Unless there was two of them the game against Houston was MNF and other than the game they sacked Aikman like 12 times in Dallas back in the late 80's that is the one I remember the most . At that point Houston had the number one offense in the NFL and the Eagles came into the "House of Pain" and manhandled like they were playing a HS team. I mentioned it in the other thread, Dierdorf was speechless and to paraphrase Al Michaels.. "Do you think you could get any receiver from Houston to volunteer to come across the middle?". They wanted them to catch it...

That was Buddy Ball and Jim Johnson ran his defense in a similar fashion. Going after the quarterback was the priority, there was always at least one more guy rushing the quarterback than the offense had on the line and the receivers paid dearly for any short passes. If you look at the stats their pass defense as far as yards went was still phenomenal despite despite the constant rushing, the only real stat that is not good is the points. They gave up a lot more points to bigger plays but that is to be expected. 91 was certainly the pinnacle but they were doing this for years going back into the late 80's and even after 91. The funny thing is Buddy was gone by the 91 season, but make no mistake, Kotite had nothing to do with it.

That Oilers game could possibly be considered the greatest defensive game of all time, you have to consider that they are playing an away game against the best offense in the league.

There is a funny quote here, "Andre Waters and Wes Hopkins, the most "persuasive" pair of safeties in the NFL." LOL

plumb-r

Post by plumb-r » Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 6:45 am

It only proves what we already know on this forum. Statistics can be twisted to achieve a desired out come ;) . The one statistic that counts is super bowl wins, and if I'm not mistaken,(wait for it) the Steelers have it! This time of year I bleed black and gold. I live dead between Philly and Baltimore but my hearts still in Pitts. :D

anthony7812

Post by anthony7812 » Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 7:50 am

plumb-r wrote:It only proves what we already know on this forum. Statistics can be twisted to achieve a desired out come ;) . The one statistic that counts is super bowl wins, and if I'm not mistaken,(wait for it) the Steelers have it! This time of year I bleed black and gold. I live dead between Philly and Baltimore but my hearts still in Pitts. :D
The cowboys had 2 quarters back in 95/96 season. I think jones paid off odonnel but hey a win is a win. The other super loss happened in Dallas too if I remember correctly. America's stadium.

Return to “Pro Sports, Entertainment, Movies & TV”