Anyone Making Boilo?

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sun. Dec. 28, 2008 10:24 am

My wife wants boilo! I am from German ancestry so what the bleep is boilo? My wife is from Pottsville so that explains a lot. We found some boilo recipes on line and are experimenting. I would not know good boilo from bad boilo, Germans drink beer :cheers: Does anyone have any boilo recipes to share or are they all closely guarded family secrets?

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Dec. 28, 2008 12:36 pm

I'd never heard of it until your post. I looked it up. Geepers, with that much booze in it, how can any recipe be bad?? Yaaahaaa!

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sun. Dec. 28, 2008 2:39 pm

http://www.riverreporter.com/issues/06-12-28/arts ... boilo.html

Simple reciepe but I don't think you can buy the 190 proof grain alcohol up here any more. We used to get it in Va and mix it in 55gal rubbermaid garbage cans with koolaid. many frat house parties ...... :|

mike

Post by mike » Sun. Dec. 28, 2008 6:28 pm

I always used the second recipe that is on coalregion.com. Kesslers seems to be about the best whiskey to use for this!

gaw

Post by gaw » Sun. Dec. 28, 2008 10:30 pm

We made the first one on coalregion.com with the crock pot. The people at the Pottsville state store sold us Four Queens, 101 proof blended whiskey to use. There was a big display inside the door :!: One thing I notice among all the recipes is the use of a lot of honey, oranges and lemons, the rest is spices and booze. The crock pot boilo tasted good enough to me, the wife thought the whiskey flavor was too strong :roll: I may have to try the other recipe later this week.

Here is something we made last night that the person who provided the recipe calls boilo but does not have honey or citrus :? It tastes great though. We had no grain so we just used silver rum, works for me :!:

APPLE PIE BOILO

• 1 GALLON FRESH APPLE CIDER
• 4 CUPS APPLE JUICE
• 4 CUPS GINGER ALE
• 1 ½ CUPS SUGAR
• 4-8 CINNAMON STICKS
• DASH OF NUTMEG

 BOIL FOR 15 MINUTES. REMOVE FROM HEAT AND ADD A FIFTH OF GRAIN!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 8:21 am

Poconoeagle wrote:http://www.riverreporter.com/issues/06-12-28/arts ... boilo.html

Simple reciepe but I don't think you can buy the 190 proof grain alcohol up here any more. We used to get it in Va and mix it in 55gal rubbermaid garbage cans with koolaid. many frat house parties ...... :|
I have a bottle of 190 proof Everclear in the cabinet, it is at least 15 yrs old. I opened it the other day and smelled it...smells like dry gas :shock:

gaw

Post by gaw » Sun. Jan. 04, 2009 9:13 pm

markviii wrote:I have a bottle of 190 proof Everclear in the cabinet, it is at least 15 yrs old. I opened it the other day and smelled it...smells like dry gas :shock:
It is dry gas :lol:

The boilo making went well, I guess, we are drinking it. Made the apple pie boilo mentioned above and both the recipes from coalregion.com. Sweet, spicy, warm booze just what you need in winter :shock: I used Four Queens blended whiskey for the alcohol. I was looking on the bottle and it states "twenty percent straight whiskies. Eighty percent grain neutral spirits." Now that’s some real top shelf whiskey, I must say. :roll:

skooker

Post by skooker » Sat. Dec. 14, 2013 5:26 pm

4 queens works well and is commonly used in Boilo making. However moonshine is the preferred ingredient to give it that special flavor. Most Boilo makers I am aware of use shine for the flavor and that above 150 proof kick you can usually tell because it has a flavor unlike any of the stuff made with 4 Queens or Everclear. Everclear will kick it but it doesn't taste very good IMHO. Also Boiling on the stove with the whiskey already in the mixture will only serve to evaporate the alcohol and with an open flame stove can be dangerous. You may want to add whiskey after the liquid begins to cool.

Tweak your recipe until you find a combination that works best for you. One thing I have found is if I want to make a larger batch just doubling ,tripling ingredients etc doesn't always work very well, especially with some spices!!

Another lil tip. Honey. The type of Honey you use can have different effects in taste and nutrition. Darker honeys from Buckwheat etc. are very high in antioxidants and much better for your body. Lighter Honey from clover etc. have less of the antioxidant but may be a bit sweeter. Darks are more aggressive in flavor and lights less so.
Experiment here the results can be amazing depending on which ingredients you add to you mixture.

Mine is made from local Honey which is quite dark and then mixed with a smaller amount of Light honey from Virginia for sweetness! Apple cider is also locally produced.

Lighter Honeys can be found on E-bay at reasonable prices. I've found Virginia to be a good light honey producing state.

Return to “Food & Recipes”