Would food that in routinely reheated spoil?

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Jan. 16, 2023 8:47 pm

NO..... Refrigeration slows but does not stop bacterial growth. USDA recommends using cooked beef within 3 to 4 days, kept refrigerated (40°F or less). USDA recommends using cooked leftovers within 3 to 4 days.
USDA recommendations, leftover cooked chicken should be refrigerated at 40 F (or less) and used within 3 to 4 days.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Jan. 25, 2023 2:10 pm

1. Suppose I have some meat that is due to spoil tomorrow so I cook it today and also cook it with some meat that was freshly slaughtered minutes ago. Will they both spoil at the same time in the fridge after being cooked?

2. In Three days, take that food that was cooked in 1. and heat it in its entirety to 170* eat some and promptly refrigerate the remaining portion.

3. Three days later take 2. and heat it in its entirety to 170* eat some and promptly refrigerate the remaining portion.

4. Two days later take 3. and heat it in its entirety to 170* eat some and freeze the remaining portion.

5. 6 months later take 4. from freezer and heat to 170* is it safe to eat?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jan. 25, 2023 3:03 pm

Hard to tell, but I know my dogs would love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Gonna re-heat a Philly cheese steak tonight from last night It was excellent then. Heat REAL slow!!! :D

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 25, 2023 4:16 pm

Each time it's reheated to 170 it kills all the bacteria colonies and they have to start growing all over again. So I'd say yes, it would still be safe to eat after 6 months in the freezer (number 5).

Although, letting it set 8 days in the fridge without interval heating would be different. I normally will eat chilli up to day 5 in the fridge as long as it didn't spend any time at room temperature otherwise.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Jan. 25, 2023 4:32 pm

Lightning wrote:
Wed. Jan. 25, 2023 4:16 pm
Each time it's reheated to 170 it kills all the bacteria colonies and they have to start growing all over again. So I'd say yes, it would still be safe to eat after 6 months in the freezer (number 5).

Although, letting it set 8 days in the fridge without interval heating would be different. I normally will eat chilli up to day 5 in the fridge as long as it didn't spend any time at room temperature otherwise.
Finally an answer I like! Okay so would you concur that it would be wise if you had a big pot of something to reheat the entire pot to temperature rather than just a bowl in the microwave? And if it kept getting heated and refrigerated it would last indefinitely so long as it never got to the spoil point before reheating?

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 25, 2023 5:13 pm

I dunno for sure lol .. indefinitely is a long time and a lot of heating and cooling cycles. It could probably be done for quite a long time and still be safe to eat. With heating and cooling, I would tend to think that after several cycles it would depreciate the texture and flavor. But the dog would still enjoy it. :D

Like home done canning, the food is heated to kill everything in it, then it can be sealed and stored for years and still maintain it's good texture and flavor.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Jan. 25, 2023 5:20 pm

Cooking to 170 will not kill all the bad stuff if its went bad. Read up on cooking spoiled meat as it can be done to a point but its a whole new game over fresh. And I doubt you can keep it from spoiling long term with freeze/thaw/cook conditions.

Ive handled more game meat then most as it was for animal food. It can go from good to bad a lot faster than you think. Even when cold or after cooked. Beef much faster than you think.

If it could safely be done food joints would all be doing it.

Why not just cook it and freeze what you dont eat and then thaw it to eat when you want it. Your on dangerous ground as has already been said, but its your life.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Jan. 25, 2023 5:30 pm

Lightning wrote:
Wed. Jan. 25, 2023 5:13 pm
I dunno for sure lol .. indefinitely is a long time and a lot of heating and cooling cycles. It could probably be done for quite a long time and still be safe to eat. With heating and cooling, I would tend to think that after several cycles it would depreciate the texture and flavor. But the dog would still enjoy it. :D

Like home done canning, the food is heated to kill everything in it, then it can be sealed and stored for years and still maintain it's good texture and flavor.
Yea well obviously indefinitely is not realistic because it would one day be consumed. Texture not an issue because it would be consumed.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Jan. 25, 2023 5:30 pm

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Jan. 25, 2023 5:20 pm
Cooking to 170 will not kill all the bad stuff if its went bad. Read up on cooking spoiled meat as it can be done to a point but its a whole new game over fresh. And I doubt you can keep it from spoiling long term with freeze/thaw/cook conditions.

Ive handled more game meat then most as it was for animal food. It can go from good to bad a lot faster than you think. Even when cold or after cooked. Beef much faster than you think.

If it could safely be done food joints would all be doing it.

Why not just cook it and freeze what you dont eat and then thaw it to eat when you want it. Your on dangerous ground as has already been said, but its your life.
Why would it have gone bad? It has been heated and cooled properly and nothing was bad when cooked or reheated or refrigerated.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Jan. 25, 2023 9:33 pm

Human nature. I guess if your religious about how many days you reheat it you'll probably be fine. Most people arent and forget how many days ago things were done. And once its spoiled its spoiled. If your lucky you'll smell it if its turned. To me that would get tasting real nasty about the 3rd time it was reheated rotten or not. But maybe with enough spices you could eat it, but I couldnt. I have a gag reflex :lol: I smelled too much semi-bad meat in my early life. Good luck.

TFL
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman mark III

Post by TFL » Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 1:58 pm

I was out of power for 13 days some time ago, had a pot on the wood stove for the whole time
first day without power I put the largest pot with lid on the stove and filled it with carrots potatoes, chicken
what ever I had in the fridge. then every morning refilled with a few more of each, ate it three times a day for the whole 13 days, the longer it was on there the better it was.
one of the best 13 days I have had in a long time. so no problem for me keeping the stew going for the whole time

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 3:36 pm

TFL wrote:
Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 1:58 pm
I was out of power for 13 days some time ago,
Last time I had a 2 week power outage I ran my refrig via my hybrid car's 5kw battery.

Used 5 gal of gas in 2 weeks to keep refrig and lights running (and making coffee of course).

Car to inverter to appliances via extension cords.

Cooked via microwave and toaster oven. No problems.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Feb. 22, 2023 5:05 am

I have had a big pot of chicken thighs in water atop my basement Hitzer for 2-3 weeks now. When I started the pot I put in 36 chicken thighs and a bunch of water. Every day giving the dogs a portion of the water now broth, and a couple pieces of meat. The bones are so cooked they fall apart without effort. If I didn't have food, I would eat that chicken. The dogs enthusiastically eat it every morning. They eat their entire dish of kibble enhanced with chicken meat and broth.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Feb. 22, 2023 9:42 am

Did you keep a thermometer in the pot? What temperature did it maintain?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 22, 2023 10:37 am

Do a search of "Never-ending soup" or "Perpetual stew" and read how they were cooked.

Paul

Return to “Food & Recipes”