Goetta, scrapple, grits?

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 12:12 am

theo wrote:
Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 8:10 am
hank 2, the local giant eagle around me sells it
Good darts! We don't have that chain around here but I know what they are. Many years ago a former girlfriend of mine was from Erie. Got to know Giant Eagle and my first Eat 'n Park.

lincoln, your dead right on the cast iron skillet for scrapple. I believe it's required.

I remembered that a buddy of mine still does a little bit of meat prep. He makes some scrapple and also smoked kielbasa a time or two a year. His small customer list has been full for many years but maybe I can bribe him with beer.

Now, I'm thinking that it's been too long since I had Sie magge. Also called Hog maw. Stuffed pig stomach with smoked pork sausage, potatoes, cabbage, etc, etc inside. My mother made the best. She baked her version, some boil them then brown. It used to be common to find in local country hotel restaurants around here, but they are about all gone. One still has it but it's a feeble effort.

theo

Post by theo » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 10:16 am

You got me hungry for some scrapple, but i think i'll pass on the hog maw!!!!! :D

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 12:49 pm

Just cut up pig stomach for the dogs last week. I could not imagine trying to eat it. It was raw and my sharp butcher knife didn't slice it cleanly. Not like trying to cut a squash, but it wasn't like slicing a thick roast either. I would think it would be rather chewy.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 9:22 pm

Pig stomach is good but you are eating mostly the filling. The amount of meat on a pig stomach is not much but it is quite tasty, not tough, a little chewy but easy to cut and eat when roasted.

bruker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Wehrle Placid

Post by bruker » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 10:16 pm

Have a half pound of grits thawed out and ready for tomorrow's breakfast. I look forward to Sunday mornings...

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve

Post by hank2 » Sun. Oct. 09, 2022 12:19 am

gaw wrote:
Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 9:22 pm
Pig stomach is good but you are eating mostly the filling. The amount of meat on a pig stomach is not much but it is quite tasty, not tough, a little chewy but easy to cut and eat when roasted.
That was always my experience. What little meat is good. Depends how it's cooked I guess, but more like turkey skin, but a little tougher. It is mostly about the filling.

hank2

Post by hank2 » Sun. Oct. 09, 2022 12:31 am

Grit question here. I know what the regular white grits are, as I spent a good amount of time in South here and there. Never turned them down, but they're not much without butter and salt.

When I did my 13-week Navy boot camp at a long-gone Fla. base almost 52 years ago, I was one of the few Yankees there. Nearly all deep south guys. The mess hall served something they called hominy grits at every meal. Looked like big blown up balls of corn. Maybe Lima bean size. Nothing like the porridge grits. I once heard that it's field (cow) corn with the shell soaked off in lye. Does that sound right? I wouldn't cross the street for them.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Dec. 26, 2022 3:20 am

Yep…Hominy…I wouldn’t cross the street for it either. Hominy is puffs corn made using lie. Some call them Hominy grits but they mostly resemble whole corn minus getting the outer kernel skin blown off. They do not resemble grits in any way. Texture is totally different. I’ve never seen a so-called bowl of “Hominy Grits” resemble looking or tasting like actual grits. Hominy is not gritty like grits. Hominy texture is just that…it’s own texture (a puffed corn) and it has its own taste…not worth feeding to a dying cat unless you want to kill it faster. I can eat them, but I do not like Hominy. My southern granny loved Hominy and she loved grits too…but she knew the difference. She even liked scrapple and Geotta, and made them all homemade, but being from eastern KY not far from TN, she knew the difference in them all.

The OP said grit+Midwest Ohio+ Cincinnati+Geotta and none of them are related. LOL!

Cincinnati based Queen City brand Geotta has meat and oats in it and very little actual corn meal and certainly no grits…and I would not compare it to grits in any way as they taste absolutely nothing alike in any fashion.

Grits can be as simple as water and the grits, the ground corn, with some salt and pepper to taste as well as butter in with them while cooking. These can also be added again afterwards as real grits take lots of salt to bring out the flavor of the ground corn.

Grits are just that…gritty ground corn…white or yellow corn is the most common…or any other color field corn if you have it…ground gritty, fine to coarse, but not ground to flour, is served with some butter and salt, or served with syrup or jelly on top, even served with bull dog gravy on top in places.

Grits are made simply by boiling in water or broth, throwing in some butter if you like, add some cheese and/or cream cheese to the mix for the best you ever ate. Yellow corn meal ground coarse is to my liking. Left over grits…or grits purposely left over to “set” or harden is called Mush. Generally the grits for mush is usually ground corn meal with water or broth and some butter, but you can add some me spices if you like and you can fry up cheesy grits for mush as well.

Cincinnati Queen City brand Geotta …wouldn’t feed it to the hogs!

Homemade Geotta…tolerable.

Homemade scrapple…now that is good.

Cracklings…fried hog skins…those are good to but about as far from grits as you can get. LOL!

Pork rinds … delicious…are soft mot hard like cracklings…and again do not resemble grits in any way.

Leave it to northerners to screw up the grits. LOL!

I’m from Upper Southern midwestern Ohio … or southern west central…depends on how you view it… where lots of southerners took over and never fired a shot (as Cash Amburgey used to say on the radio) … LOL!

Coarse ground or fine ground… but stone ground grits…are the only way to fly.

Then there’s porridge…yuck…another food that has nothing to do with grits.

Jkohanski
Stoker Coal Boiler: ahs s260
Coal Size/Type: pea
Other Heating: fuel oil

Post by Jkohanski » Mon. Dec. 26, 2022 7:41 am

Scrapple, with egg and pork roll. Fried good and hard on one side in cast iron pan.

Return to “Food & Recipes”