Maine right to food

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Nov. 03, 2021 12:43 pm

So I am going to do my fall trip in the NE in the Mustang. So Freddie, I will be stopping my your place for a 5 course dinner as you have a right to feed me. this is great news

https://apnews.com/article/election-2021-maine-ri ... 86dcf957b3

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Nov. 03, 2021 1:22 pm

Im moving to mid city Bangor now. Im going to raise alligator's, rattlesnakes, and cobra's cuz I want to eat them. Probably have to raise rats and skunks for their feed. Stop by anytime for a meal...

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Nov. 03, 2021 2:49 pm

The last time I ate in that area with Shelley was on Cadillac Island like Barr something or other. The food was so bad that your offering sounds tempting

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Nov. 03, 2021 7:43 pm

I can support this idea to some point, e.g. there is examples of people being harassed for gardens in their front yard since it was only place to put it. However how does that work if I want to raise a pig in my front yard? It's certainly not an issue if you have a few acres but it's certainly a problem if it's +/-four thousand square feet. If my neighbor wanted to turn their entire backyard into a garden all the power too them but I'm going to have a problem if they put a pig sty there.

The one neighbor uses my fence to hang his cumbers and tomato plants, the rule is if it's on my side of the fence it's fair game. :D

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Nov. 03, 2021 8:16 pm

coalnewbie wrote: So I am going to do my fall trip in the NE in the Mustang. So Freddie, I will be stopping my your place for a 5 course dinner as you have a right to feed me. this is great news
From what I've heard about the new law.... instead of coming in a Mustang, come riding on a mustang, and we can eat it when you get here!

One knowledgeable person said this law is "a solution without a problem".

I honestly don't understand what it's supposed to do.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Nov. 03, 2021 8:39 pm

Hopefully most of what happens will be fine Freddy. I was be a smart a-- but there will be those jerks that will take advantage of the law just to upset their neighbors. Then they'll amend the law and make it worse, lol

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Nov. 04, 2021 5:58 pm

Freddy wrote:
Wed. Nov. 03, 2021 8:16 pm
One knowledgeable person said this law is "a solution without a problem".
I don;t know about your particular area but there has been issues where it might be unlawful to have a garden in the front yard, side yard etc. If that is the only place you have to put it.... On the other hand if this would allow someone to build a pig sty on 10*10 square in heavy residential area that is equally as absurd.

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. Dec. 09, 2021 8:02 am

I don't know about Maine, but as I have understood the 'right to food' movement really got going back when corporations started suing neighboring farmers and home gardeners growing related plants of those they had protected strains of.
The idea being, if a farmer was contracted to grow a corporation's protected strain of crop (whatever), and it is known to cross pollinate up to 1 mile, then anyone within 1 mile of the edges of the field that it is grown cannot distribute or save plants or seeds of the related plants. Even if you had heirlooms from ancestors, you couldn't save the seeds. Supposedly farmers and gardeners were being sued for tens and hundreds of thousands in damages, and losing. Last time I heard anything about that, or paid attention to it, it was 15 years ago, so I imagine if that stuff had been going on as I understood it, probably alot has changed since then to recent Maine's RTF effort.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Thu. Dec. 09, 2021 3:29 pm

No need for such an amendment or law because it is basic common sense. Oh yeah.... LOL

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Dec. 09, 2021 8:44 pm

Richard S. wrote: I On the other hand if this would allow someone to build a pig sty on 10*10 square in heavy residential area that is equally as absurd.
I've heard through the grapevine, that town and city laws will supersede "the right to grow". That is.... You have the right to grow & eat what you want IF it's legal to do so at your location.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Fri. Dec. 10, 2021 7:43 am

I seem to recall many objections by well to do transplants to Maine in finding the new age hippies next door to their Paradise in the North Woods were raising chickens and other animals to reduce their carbon footprint......as in this would be a great place if it weren't for the locals....When your influx of new owners are from the highly regulated areas in S New England, problems with back to earth types can happen.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Fri. Dec. 10, 2021 8:20 am

KLook wrote:
Fri. Dec. 10, 2021 7:43 am
I seem to recall many objections by well to do transplants to Maine in finding the new age hippies next door to their Paradise in the North Woods were raising chickens and other animals to reduce their carbon footprint......as in this would be a great place if it weren't for the locals....When your influx of new owners are from the highly regulated areas in S New England, problems with back to earth types can happen.
Similar things happen around here, too. One couple bought a house across the road from a gun range that predated the house they bought by about 20 years. They complained after buying it. Didn't get any traction with that....

I hear TEXAS is due to have a similar problem with transplants leaving bad areas and bringing bad habits and complaints with them. :O

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Fri. Dec. 10, 2021 8:01 pm

Tennessee is already having said problems and I am sure Texas is also.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Dec. 10, 2021 11:21 pm

CoalisCoolxWarm wrote:
Fri. Dec. 10, 2021 8:20 am
Similar things happen around here, too. One couple bought a house across the road from a gun range that predated the house they bought by about 20 years. They complained after buying it. Didn't get any traction with that....
My favorite story is "city folk" buying a house in a beautiful country side development next to the farm in the summertime with the scent of fresh corn wafting through the air. Then manure spreading season comes..... LOL

As side note many moons ago I was driving through some rural areas of CA in the spring and the scents were amazing whether they were natural or farms. We went through a lot of areas with hundreds or even thousands of acres of flowers.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 6:33 am

Interesting... I'm going to have to dig in and read up on just who initiated and sponsored this Bill before I comment. I've got to instantly admit that when a "Mainah" like Freddy is scratching his head,that's concerning!

Return to “Food & Recipes”