Gas-Powered Refrigerators and Freezers.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 4:12 pm

After seeing the obituary about Jay Lehman, it reminded me about my goals for prepping after the China virus is officially over.

Does anybody have a gas-powered refrigerator or freezer?

They are expensive (2k or more) but don't require electricity. I have natural-gas which is less efficient than propane and an added cost when buying one of these refrigerators.

Are they worth the money and effort and how long would they last?

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 5:43 pm

Can't tell you much other than the people that have them here love them.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 5:51 pm

Watch the normal online sales places. I think I'd want an older one before I bought a new one if they are anything like modern electric fridges. A freezer may be more useful than a fridge if you are thinking survival... unless you can do quick canning of meat instead.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 5:42 am

There's a local dealer here. Yup.... they are not cheap & not cheap to use. I don't know about freezers, but a 'fridge uses about 30 gallons of propane a month. Be careful with maintenance. They don't need much, and it's a rare occurrence, but if things get clogged up they can produce Carbon Monoxide.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 6:33 am

EarthWindandFire wrote:
Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 4:12 pm
Are they worth the money and effort and how long would they last?
If you don't have electricity I would imagine loss of the gas supply is not far behind. It would seem an investment in generator is better choice as it can power multiple things and may even be useful at other times.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 10:45 am

Fuel storage...
You eventually run out...
Gasoline can be scrounged easily...
Old school Ice House...
Drying, salting and canning are your survival friends...
Think like the Indian...

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Mon. Aug. 03, 2020 9:09 am

Thanks guys, the feedback was very helpful.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Aug. 03, 2020 9:40 am

Richard S. wrote:
Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 6:33 am
If you don't have electricity I would imagine loss of the gas supply is not far behind. It would seem an investment in generator is better choice as it can power multiple things and may even be useful at other times.
Been without power for days because of hurricanes and Winter storms. This would be my choice for the same reasons. When you lose electricity, it's a real eye opener just how many things you need to run off a generator.

Paul

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Aug. 03, 2020 9:59 am

My point would be it doesn't make much sense for a household for emergency use. This would only make sense to me if you had no access to power to begin with and were going to use it a lot.

For two grand+ you can install interlock, decent size generator and power every circuit (within limits). Plus you have portable generator for other purposes if you need it.
They are expensive (2k or more)
FYI, when is last time you priced fridges? :lol:

LeoinRI
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fonderies de Lion
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: J.S. Peckham Chicago #10, Weso, Our Glenwood 111, Sougland Excelsior 183

Post by LeoinRI » Sun. Aug. 23, 2020 6:33 am

I've been using propane refrigerators for 40 years at our off grid camp in Maine. The last one we purchased in May 2017, a 13 cu ft Unique for ~$2600 including tax. https://uniqueappliances.com/product/13-cu-ft-pro ... ne-fridge/. Advertised consumption is 1.4 lbs/day so a standard 20 lb tank will last ~14 days. It takes about 5 hours for an empty fridge to drop to 40 degrees from initial start. They do require periodic brushing of the chimney & burner to remove any possible soot, rust flakes, and spider webs. I've had multiple experiences with the burner on older units fouling. A carbon monoxide sensor is recommended since incomplete combustion from a fouled burner can result in CO levels causing headaches/death. I'm told today's units have a life of 10-12 years. If you have solar panels & battery backup, there are very efficient 120/12v compressor units available.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Aug. 23, 2020 8:06 am

Ah,the Age-Old Question of the "Smartest" Thing to do with the money in hand! For openers,much like the Mayor's set up here with the Heat Load Calculator,You'd want to dream up a Total Plan for Independent Living in a Time of Duress. You won't be misspending nor respending Your cash! You have the dilemma of todays gasoline storing poorly,even with additives. Yes,You have Natural Gas,but the question of just how long would pressure and volume be kept up in the system. You cracked the heating nut wide open with stable storing coal. Use the same train of thought with this. You already wisely chose to wait for a more cost/value time Post-Pandemic to obtain items needed for this effort! Canning Jars,Lids and Rings are going for a Premium right now! The same with Hot Water Bath and Pressure Canners! Wild! There are plans to be made and stages of implementation to be set without getting frenzied nor raped. This fridge deal has gotten interesting with the advent of modern compact insulation foams used in the chassis construction. Doing Good Homework is free. Thanx for starting this Thread! It goes hand in hand with Our Coal Lifestyle of Independant Living right here!

Return to “Food & Recipes”