Cooking With a Harman

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Thu. Feb. 09, 2017 8:23 pm

Twice now I have made excellent baked potato's in my Harman SF250. Rather then firing my gas or electric stoves, I've been using my coal stove for so many meals, especially at this time of the year.

I wrapped a 1lb tater in aluminum foil and kept a small area of cooled ash just inside the stove door. The side wall registered about 500 degrees, although inside much hotter, and pulled it out 40 minutes later perfectly baked. Also steamed up some broccoli on the stove top in about 15 minutes.

Since the stove is in the basement all odors stay there and I get much needed exercise running up and down stairs.

Pan seared NY strips are up next!

snuffy

Post by snuffy » Fri. Mar. 03, 2017 8:30 pm

Tonight's baked entrée in the Harman was frozen breaded haddock. Since the stove is really fired up today to get a good strong heat base (3,900sf) for tonight's single digit temp I thought why not experiment (one day I really might have to use the Harman for our meals so I'm ready under a worse case.)

Anyway, as Mrs. Paul was gracious to provide the haddock, I created a rumpled non-stick aluminum tent, placed a little olive oil to seep to the undersides, sealed it up, then placed a second rumpled regular aluminum sheet to raise the entrée above any hot coals.

Eleven minutes later, removed, served alongside stove top heated halushkie and stove top steamed broccoli. Meal served within 20 minutes. Mom raved, and I'm sure my grandmothers were smiling in heaven that one of their offspring learned something from their hot hard work

top top

Post by top top » Wed. Mar. 22, 2017 9:45 am

We have done baked potatoes and corn in the husk on my Kodiac. Lift the false top and lay them on top of the fire box, lower the top back down. Not a lot of space there, so I use smaller spuds plus a spacer to keep the top from contacting the potato. So it is really on top, not inside the stove. The false top makes it work like a dutch oven. Soak the corn in water, pull back the husk a little, add some butter, salt & pepper, Old Bay, or whatever, Close the husk and tie it with mechanics wire. The water in the husk steams the corn and the seasoning goes right through it. Sometimes cut into the spud, add seasoning and wrap it in tin foil. The coal stove is also great for preheating a stone for baking bread or pizza, but my wife uses the regular oven to bake. I like beef steaks seared in a cast iron skillet and finished in the oven.

snuffy

Post by snuffy » Fri. Mar. 24, 2017 8:01 pm

Speaking of pizza, when I get our favorite margherita takeout it's usually luke warm till I get home, so I'll toss the box on top of the Harman for a few minutes and it's like out of the oven hot - just don't forget about it dough!

Return to “Food & Recipes”