Anyone Still Brew Beer Here

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Wed. Feb. 04, 2015 9:37 pm

I seen a topic a from a few years back and since I am newer would like to see if anyone still interested.

I have some recipes to share, most simple, along with equipment ideas and techniques

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Thu. Feb. 05, 2015 7:18 am

Top o the morn to ya Gillas,

brewin your own grog, a noble endeavor indeed. I don't brew any and don't know how many here do ,but Im sure youll get plenty of offers to help drink yer surplus :D

waldo

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Thu. Feb. 05, 2015 7:36 pm

I don;t, but my brother does, he's really into it. Had a few of his home brews, they were pretty good!

here's his little hop patch this year. he said it was a good crop. I'm not sure the type/brand. :) :cheers: :beer:

Attachments

IMG_6132.JPG
.JPG | 200.1KB | IMG_6132.JPG

Doby

Post by Doby » Thu. Feb. 05, 2015 10:38 pm

WNY wrote:I don;t, but my brother does, he's really into it. Had a few of his home brews, they were pretty good!

here's his little hop patch this year. he said it was a good crop. I'm not sure the type/brand. :) :cheers: :beer:
Yep its just better, your brother must really be into it ,them hops look healthy, yum! Not that far advanced purchase my hops but still great

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Feb. 05, 2015 11:27 pm

Doby

Post by Doby » Thu. Feb. 05, 2015 11:33 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:Image
Now thats a classic, I don't have kids to get in the way of my beer but after seeing that I wish I did

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Fri. Feb. 06, 2015 6:46 am

My son started home brewing with extracts three years ago. He got me into it. I've brewed a couple of batches of extract myself; an english coffee porter and a copper bock. This endeavor got my brother into it who has really developed a pipeline of styles throughout the year. He does brew-in-a-bag all grain. We just did a batch of oatmeal stout that's one week in the bottles. I've got the stuff for all grain brewing but haven't made the time to get it all set up, too easy to go to my brother's place!
:cheers:

Attachments

DSC07473.JPG

Had a roll of copper for 30 yrs. Now it has purpose!

.JPG | 120.2KB | DSC07473.JPG
DSC07482.JPG

in action

.JPG | 96.4KB | DSC07482.JPG

Doby

Post by Doby » Fri. Feb. 06, 2015 9:30 am

You guys got some nice equipment there, I brew all grain but I batch sparge and have the system down pretty good, I brew mainly pale ales with occasional ambers. I am going to try a orange cream sickle pale tomorrow, first time for this one. I do alot of SMaSH (single malt and single hop) reciepies there so easy and the taste awsome.

!0lb 2 row grain
1oz amirrilo hops @60 min
safale us-05 dry yeast

Batch sparge 60 mim@152F
60 min boil
1 month in bucket fermenter no secondary
3 weeks bottle conditioned

Simple with great taste

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Fri. Feb. 06, 2015 10:02 am

My son got me into it also. I haven't brewed in over a year though. It's supply and demand problem. I can't supply enough beer to meet my demand! :oops: And frankly I have very simple taste in beer. I really like Yuengling! My son on the other hand likes what I call stinky beer. IPA's etc. He's really into it. He signed up for a brew master training curriculum at a brew school in Vermont (American Brewers Guild) and is currently taking the online portion of the training. In June he goes to the school in Vermont for the onsite portion of it then starts an apprenticeship at a local craft brewery. He plans to start his own brewery. Mind you he has a degree in finance and has a good job in that field now that he will be leaving in June to pursue this. At first I thought it was foolish to leave his current career. It's a bold move I would never have considered. But I'm proud of him for making this move and hope he is successful. If he starts his own brewery, maybe I can learn to love stinky beer. :D ;)

Doby

Post by Doby » Fri. Feb. 06, 2015 10:18 am

Coalkirk us brewers call guy's like you BMC drinkers(bud,miller,coors) and sometimes they can be hard to convert :D

I have similar tastes, there is a Yuengling clone its similar to the recipe above but with different hops

Also if you take the above and use cascade hops its similar to Labatts blue, very clean tasting.

Congrats to your Son! I wish him well

offcoursey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay

Post by offcoursey » Sun. Feb. 22, 2015 6:42 am

Hi,
I've been brewing for a couple of years. I like all styles and tend to try some strange things. I extract, partial mash and all grain depending on the recipe and the weather. I have a winter ale in secondary, and three other batchs waiting to be made.

Doby

Post by Doby » Sun. Feb. 22, 2015 11:53 am

offcoursey wrote:Hi,
I've been brewing for a couple of years. I like all styles and tend to try some strange things. I extract, partial mash and all grain depending on the recipe and the weather. I have a winter ale in secondary, and three other batchs waiting to be made.
I don't secondary all that much any more seems a waste of time unless you dry hop, I just leave it in primary 1 month and all is good, I have 3, 5 G fermenters all full right now

offcoursey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay

Post by offcoursey » Sun. Feb. 22, 2015 12:54 pm

I was skipping secondary too but I find I get better results if I secondary everything. It only takes a couple of minutes and a little sanitizer. I don't check OG or FG very often. I watch the air lock for fermentation to end, wait a few days, then secondary. I was bottling from the secondary for awhile but have better results to rack to bottle bucket just before bottling. If you order stuff on-line, check out morebeer.com. Free shipping on orders over $60.

Doby

Post by Doby » Sun. Feb. 22, 2015 1:13 pm

offcoursey wrote:I was skipping secondary too but I find I get better results if I secondary everything. It only takes a couple of minutes and a little sanitizer. I don't check OG or FG very often. I watch the air lock for fermentation to end, wait a few days, then secondary. I was bottling from the secondary for awhile but have better results to rack to bottle bucket just before bottling. If you order stuff on-line, check out morebeer.com. Free shipping on orders over $60.
Yep I use moorbeer somtimes just because of that shipping deal and there products are fresh, I like austine also because there kits both all grain and extract are better imho, seems more variety. I do support my local home brew shop most of the time, they have about everthing and are very helpfull. Kellers beer Selinsgrove PA. I always rack to a bottle bucket and I agree you have to do what works for you there is no one size fits all. I think thats because you get a routine down pat and when you follow that routine the more efficient at it you become.

When you make all grain how do you do it? I batch sparge

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sun. Feb. 22, 2015 1:41 pm

Doby wrote:When you make all grain how do you do it? I batch sparge
My brother and I do BIAB and get great all grain results by modifying the BIAB a bit. We do batch sparge. The nice thing about BIAB is the bag can be lifted slightly and allowed to drain. This increased the efficiency a bit over straight BIAB. Clean up is quicker too.

Return to “Food & Recipes”