Anyone Still Brew Beer Here

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Sun. Feb. 22, 2015 2:40 pm

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:
Doby wrote:When you make all grain how do you do it? I batch sparge
My brother and I do BIAB and get great all grain results by modifying the BIAB a bit. We do batch sparge. The nice thing about BIAB is the bag can be lifted slightly and allowed to drain. This increased the efficiency a bit over straight BIAB. Clean up is quicker too.
Yea plus in the comfort of your kitchen, I really should read up and try it, I'm just so darn proficient at the batch sparge I neglect to try something new

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sun. Feb. 22, 2015 4:32 pm

We brew in the garage - heated and insulated :) Did a 7 gal batch of oatmeal stout that's now 2 wks in the bottle. Still sharp from the dark malts but will age out nicely. Yielded 58 bottles. He uses a counterflow, use imersion. Even with a whirlpool, trub still makes into the primary with the counterflow.

He only does secondary on lagars. Bought a used 7.2 cu ft freezer with a STC-1000 controller installed. Makes lagering simple. I use to only lager now while it's good and cold in my garage.
Doppelbock is tasty!
WP_20150213_002.jpg
.JPG | 74.5KB | WP_20150213_002.jpg

offcoursey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay

Post by offcoursey » Sun. Feb. 22, 2015 4:50 pm

I use a 10 gallon cooler, most times when I sparge, I drain the wort completly, then pour sparge water(about 170*) through a colander...slowly, while the cooler is draining. I will do this 2x and use about a gallon of water each time. I know I lose efficiency but it works. I've used a piece of foil with holes in it in place of the colander too. It's not the 'right way' but my beer turns out good, so I'm told.

offcoursey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay

Post by offcoursey » Sun. Feb. 22, 2015 4:58 pm

I brew on a glass top stove in the kitchen(partial mash) in the colder weather, and all grain,outside in the summer. Nice labels! I only make ales but all different kinds. Try using some crushed fenugreek seeds if you want a maple flavor. It works well in oatmeal stouts. It's very strong but won't ferment out like real maple syrup (and it's $1 at the dollar store).

Return to “Food & Recipes”