Chicken Stew With Dumplings

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 07, 2015 4:39 pm

Oh what a nice cool evening I think I'll make chicken stew with dumpling. I roasted a chicken Monday and will use the caucus for my broth and roux. I skimmed the fat off the cooled chicken broth and will mix with equal amount of flour to make a roux.
chicken stew 001.JPG
.JPG | 154.9KB | chicken stew 001.JPG
this is the fat from the boiled chicken caucus and adding flour to cook the roux
chicken stew 002.JPG
.JPG | 155.8KB | chicken stew 002.JPG
next sauté celery and onions in a little butter with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
chicken stew 003.JPG
.JPG | 160.5KB | chicken stew 003.JPG
next boil red potato in chicken broth (mashed potatoes are delicious this way also)
chicken stew 004.JPG
.JPG | 166.8KB | chicken stew 004.JPG
next add carrots, parsnip, and celery and onion mix along with the prepare roux and left over chicken.
chicken stew 008.JPG
.JPG | 155.9KB | chicken stew 008.JPG
The dumplings will be a short cut using Bisquick and milk,I use approx. 1 and 1/2 cup and milk, I mix by feel until I get a soft dough to plop in the stew.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Jan. 07, 2015 4:52 pm

Lookin' Yummy.....I'll stop by in about an hour on the dogsled....will a bag of coal get me a bowl??!! :drool:

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 07, 2015 5:14 pm

titleist1 wrote:Lookin' Yummy.....I'll stop by in about an hour on the dogsled....will a bag of coal get me a bowl??!! :drool:
Come on in while Larry calculates the BTU equivalent of cooking chicken stew and dumplings on a 45,000 btu/hr input vigilant stove :)
...are you bringing anything to wash it down with?

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Come and get it the dumplings are ready!
dumplings 001.JPG
.JPG | 153.5KB | dumplings 001.JPG

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Jan. 07, 2015 5:21 pm

titleist1 wrote:Lookin' Yummy.....I'll stop by in about an hour on the dogsled....will a bag of coal get me a bowl??!! :drool:
The worlds only Mach 1+ capable sled...:)

You're killing me Mike...that will hit the spot tonight for sure!

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Jan. 07, 2015 9:13 pm

Hey MA that looks good.....Sorry I didn't make it I had even stopped at the brewery and was bringing along some Yuengling.... I just stumbled back in the door....

I was making great time, right on schedule with the nuclear powered canine mobility unit but apparently I made a wrong turn somewhere in NY. Against all instincts I stopped in the middle of nowhere and asked for directions at a remote farmhouse up on a hill where I thought I could see an orange glow of a coal stove through the window.

After I knocked he opened the door and a wave of heat rolled out melting the snow on the porch. The lighting was real bad but best I could see there was some old, very tall, cranky, scary lookin' dude holding a roll of toilet paper like a long lost friend who misunderstood my meaning when I said I was lookin' for millinocket & some dumplings. Apparently that is some local code language for 'I am here to steal your favorite sheep & metamucil'. He carefully set down the roll of toilet paper spun around and chased me off that porch where I tripped over a bag of coal.

Well that old guy is faster than he looks 'cause I had a heckuva time outrunning him through the snowdrifts in the fields and when I got tangled up in some fence wire he ran back up to the nuclear powered canine mobility unit and swiped not only the beer, but the bag of coal too before locking himself in the house. I untangled myself from the wire, climbed back on the sled to head home since I didn't have the goods to trade for a bowl of dumplin's anymore. As I headed down the road at mach 1+ I was only able to read half the snow covered road sign that said 'Thanks for visiting Freet.....'

You don't think it coulda' been.........naaaaahhhhhhh! :bag:

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 07, 2015 9:26 pm

:lol: oh boy thank god you rang because I was getting nervous and the family was fighting over dumplings,when I looked in the pot and only saw three left I told my son they were made with pumkin and carrots,(he hates both)
As I ran to the pot with the cover I glanced out the window and saw what looked like "the Bat signal" in the sky and at that point I tripped landed safely without spilling a drop of stew. I was laying on the floor counting my blessing and again looked out the window as a tree branch was knocking on the middle left pane of glass as if to get my attention I looked and at that point :o that was no bat signal but the finial of a Crawford inverted...and there I realized you were shanghaied entering the Mass. Pike at the dreaded Southwitchestit stop. :( ...say hi to Scott for me, oh the humanity :cry:

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Jan. 07, 2015 10:11 pm

Lol...Youse guyz are funny, an excellent yarn.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jan. 07, 2015 10:16 pm

Funny indeed T & MA :clap: toothy

Return to “Food & Recipes”