Venison Heart and Liver

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Thu. Nov. 13, 2014 10:01 am

I like my venison heart pickled. It makes a good little snack. It is usually followed up by a beer or 2 or 3.

Heart

Clean the heart to remove all blood clots. Remove as much fat as possible. In a pot of boiling water, add 1 tbsp. brown sugar, 1/2 tbsp. salt, and 1/2 tbsp. pepper. Cook the heart for about 30-45 minutes. Allow to cool. Slice 1/4" thick slabs. I cut from top to bottom horizontally. Then place in bowl alternating between slices of meat and thin slice of onion. Add mixture of vinegar and water to cover the meat. Currently I use a 50/50 mixture but you can change it depending on you degree of taste. Place in fridge for 2-3 days or longer. Then enjoy.

Liver

Wash thoroughly in cool water to remove all blood. Some skin it, other do not. Slice into strips in any size you desire. Cover in flour. Put in frying pan with hot oil of your choosing. I used canola. Cook on medium heat until done. DO NOT OVERCOOK as it will get tough. While frying it, I add some bacon in the pan and cook along with the liver. Remove and drain the bacon. Place bacon on top of liver strips on your plate. Eat a little of both on the fork. YUM !!!!!!

Some prefer onions with the liver. Start by frying onions and possibly mushrooms in the pan. Remove them and set aside. Place floured liver strips in pan and cook as above (without bacon) After the liver is done, add the ingredients back into the pan, make gravy and add and let simmer.

I prefer the bacon as that was how it can be served as Saville's diner in Boyertown. I grew up on that working at A.D. Moyer Lumber. Had it every Friday for lunch.

Add your own versions to this thread if you like.

Rick

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Thu. Nov. 13, 2014 4:52 pm

Sounds great except you missed part of the directions for the liver. I think you meant to say put bacon beside liver, throw liver out and eat bacon. :lol:

Love the smell of liver and onions but could never get past the texture for some reason. Didn't matter deer, beef, chicken either.

We throw our heart directly into the cast iron pan with butter, salt, and pepper. Never tried pickled....maybe this year will be a start. Thanks for the recipe.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Thu. Nov. 13, 2014 6:32 pm

Het Rick, just had supper and you're making my mouth water!! Recipes seem perfect.
PS: I am leaving for hunting camp in am; Spruceton, NY. Only 4 hrs from ya, Ifn ya show up, and want to show ne how it's done, I won't throw rocks at ya. :D
Jim

PS Spruceton is a tiny obscure hamlet of Lexington, NY

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Nov. 13, 2014 6:37 pm

Personally I'd just as soon have heart or liver compared to back strap--YEP, I never said I wasn't a tad peculiar. ALTHOUGH, I gotta pass on all that pickled stuff. Some real butter & onions do it for me--hell, I want to taste the venison a little! :clap: toothy

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Thu. Nov. 13, 2014 6:53 pm

I'm good with heart. Never could get the taste for liver.

It took me a long time to try tongue. I didn't want to taste anything that tasted me back but now it's one of my favorite parts of an animal.

Davian

Post by Davian » Thu. Nov. 13, 2014 7:05 pm

Never had the heart...we always gave that to the dogs to be honest. Liver is always solid (if cooked right) and we did like to make blood sausage though...which I miss.

Sounds good though.

Return to “Food & Recipes”