Cast Iron Pans

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Fri. Aug. 15, 2014 3:48 am

Ok had a bunch of friends over last weekend and foolishly got them involved in cooking an afternoon feast and yes there was tequila involved.. LOL After somewhat burning a few things added insult to injury by scrubbing them then running through the dishwasher while we were eating so have partially seasoned and partially dusted pans that I have had for decades. How do I rescue them? Sandblast and re-season or wire brush or what? We were doing Mexican and obviously the tequila induced munchies took over and the concept of simmer until done got turned in a BTU in vs. cooking time problem. Any advice appreciated!

confedsailor
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 100 KBtu Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 513
Other Heating: Oil Fired 1950"s American Standard Arcoliner 132K BTU

Post by confedsailor » Fri. Aug. 15, 2014 4:31 am

We scrub with kosher salt, and then a low charcoal fire with olive oil. Did they burn the chunkies in?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Aug. 15, 2014 8:04 am

Soak in DAWN & hot water overnight--use tuffy scrubber, razor blade--whatever it takes & re-season check out http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CastIronPans.htm

Attachments

IMG_0005.JPG
.JPG | 47.9KB | IMG_0005.JPG

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Fri. Aug. 15, 2014 8:26 am

Don't sand blast. Read this thru Reconditioning & Re-Seasoning Cast Iron Cookware

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Aug. 15, 2014 8:40 am

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:Don't sand blast. Read this thru Reconditioning & Re-Seasoning Cast Iron Cookware

Yes, don't sand blast !!!! I learned the hard way that it chews up the surface leaving a texture that takes longer to season and get the smooth non-stick surface your trying to build up.

Plus, it drives silica dust into the grain of the cast iron. Those tiny dust particles then can come loose later, lifting small particles of the carbon layer from the burned-on lard/oil that is the non-stick surface you want. That can lead to rust spots and food sticking.

And, avoid long cooking times of high acid foods in cast iron. I trashed the seasoned surface of a Griswold Dutch oven by a long session of cooking spaghetti tomato sauce in it. :oops:

Paul

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Fri. Aug. 15, 2014 9:27 am

It looks like the soap and steel wool will fix what I have going on here to get the light rust off. Then a seasoning to fix the damaged areas. I use a stainless pot for pasta sauce so no worries there. I have used the iron skillet to mostly cook eggs and fish some on the stove top and some in the oven.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Aug. 15, 2014 11:09 am

So much for that Tequila mentality or lack of & cast pans! :clap: toothy

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Aug. 16, 2014 4:17 pm

I just clean w/soap and water ... a little rust? Yummy...

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Aug. 16, 2014 9:26 pm

Just fry everything in Tequila for now on and you will never notice the rust. :D

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 9:59 am

When I was a kid our neighbor used to bring his cast iron pan over once every few years and put it in out hand fired octopus coal furnace. Came out clean as a whistle as I recall. Then he'd re-season it.

jimg
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Columbia Kitchen Range in pieces, Monarch Kitchen Range in house
Coal Size/Type: Rice for EFM and Stove/Nut for hand fired

Post by jimg » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 10:10 am

My son was looking for a vessel to melt lead to cast bullets and "found" (I knew it was there but wasn't actively using it) an old Erie cast iron fry pan. This pan is probably from the late 1800's to early 1900's. Any ideas if this pan would be safe for food use again? I'm thinking if properly re-seasoned it wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks, Jim

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Aug. 22, 2014 10:14 am

Like ck said--put it in your stove for a few hrs & then re-season. She'll be fine. Uh-Ohhh-I feel the gloom & doomers windin up for this one! :clap: toothy

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Aug. 31, 2014 9:02 am

jimg wrote:My son was looking for a vessel to melt lead to cast bullets and "found" (I knew it was there but wasn't actively using it) an old Erie cast iron fry pan. This pan is probably from the late 1800's to early 1900's. Any ideas if this pan would be safe for food use again? I'm thinking if properly re-seasoned it wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks, Jim
Check out your local hardware store for a lead paint test kit. Cast iron, particularly the older stuff can be very porous. That said, Einstien grew up in Germany when all the water pipes were lead. :)

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Aug. 31, 2014 9:15 am

When I was at the Lions Club sponsored 'Labor Day Festival' in West Liberty, OH (to look at the Keystoker HFH-90 Hopper stove that 'Champaign Coal and Stove' of Urbana, OH had taken to the Festival along with a few of their DS Machine stoves) I saw some really nice Wagner and Griswold cast iron pans for sale. The going rate was about $50 for them, give or take, depending mainly on the size. If I didn't already have some Lodges I would seriously have considered them. They looked to be much better in quality and smoothness than our bumpy Lodge pans.

hophead

Post by hophead » Tue. Sep. 23, 2014 3:41 pm

All my cast is as slippy as silicone on a wet floor. You got some good and some bad advice. Here is a site which explains how to strip, season, and care for your cookware. I have used their methods for years with great success after trying a lot of what you've been told. Give it a try and the next party your food will slide right out.

http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Return to “Food & Recipes”