Cast Iron Pans

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Sep. 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Crisco is what I've used in the past to season. Bacon fat works well also.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Sep. 23, 2014 4:58 pm

Yep, CRISCO for me--bacon fat makes the hounds to crazy, poor babies :clap: toothy

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Wed. Sep. 24, 2014 7:09 pm

Just scrub them real good with a ss pot scrubber and fry some bacon or spam an wipe them out with a rag after your done to clean it up. It will take a while to get the nonstick surface back.

Done get too exited its cast iron it aint broke till its physically broke. :D

top top

Post by top top » Wed. Oct. 01, 2014 10:40 pm

hophead wrote:All my cast is as slippy as silicone on a wet floor. You got some good and some bad advice. Here is a site which explains how to strip, season, and care for your cookware. I have used their methods for years with great success after trying a lot of what you've been told. Give it a try and the next party your food will slide right out.

http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl
A nice link with lots of good info. I have cleaned up several pieces using electrolysis. Absolutely the best way. No caustics, no abrasives, no scrubbing, & best of all it cleans every single inch equally. After cleaning you should season it immediately.

tjnamtiw
Other Heating: Sopka Cook stove

Post by tjnamtiw » Tue. Feb. 24, 2015 9:48 am

coaledsweat wrote:
jimg wrote:My son was looking for a vessel to melt lead to cast bullets and "found" (I knew it was there but wasn't actively using it) an old Erie cast iron fry pan. This pan is probably from the late 1800's to early 1900's. Any ideas if this pan would be safe for food use again? I'm thinking if properly re-seasoned it wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks, Jim
Check out your local hardware store for a lead paint test kit. Cast iron, particularly the older stuff can be very porous. That said, Einstien grew up in Germany when all the water pipes were lead. :)
That's why the Roman nobility were crazy. They had their water from the lead lined water system while the peons hauled theirs from the wells and river. So the story goes.

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 3:37 pm

i seen that lodge has a seasoning spray for castiron cook ware made from 100% canola oil any one interested /its on leahmans site .

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 3:58 pm

i also have used a good clean old red brick kinda like the sandstone texture ,rub it in skillet well ,rinse and dry then good fatty bacon and or lard ,over a campfire or in the oven works well for me ....

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Tue. Mar. 10, 2015 9:49 pm

For collecting old pans , cleaning off thick heavy layers of crud, red devel lie in water inside a plastic tub, wear rubber gloves to remove from the solution or the fats in your skin turn to soap :o . Season in oven with butter, oil, grease with light coats, time over time, they get better with use.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Mar. 11, 2015 6:08 pm

AA130FIREMAN wrote:For collecting old pans , cleaning off thick heavy layers of crud, red devel lie in water inside a plastic tub, wear rubber gloves to remove from the solution or the fats in your skin turn to soap :o . Season in oven with butter, oil, grease with light coats, time over time, they get better with use.
Welcome back AA130FIREMAN!!! Either I've somehow missed your posts, or its been awhile for you here. Either way, good to see that you are still here.

nealkas
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Looking at these.
Other Heating: Oil at present.

Post by nealkas » Thu. Mar. 12, 2015 9:03 am

top top wrote:
hophead wrote:All my cast is as slippy as silicone on a wet floor. You got some good and some bad advice. Here is a site which explains how to strip, season, and care for your cookware. I have used their methods for years with great success after trying a lot of what you've been told. Give it a try and the next party your food will slide right out.

http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl
A nice link with lots of good info. I have cleaned up several pieces using electrolysis. Absolutely the best way. No caustics, no abrasives, no scrubbing, & best of all it cleans every single inch equally. After cleaning you should season it immediately.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=55 ... lysis+tank gives some nice plans for an electrolysis tank.

Electrolysis is cool! It looks almost magical. :o

Return to “Food & Recipes”