Winter Bbq

Rwalker

Post by Rwalker » Sat. Jan. 25, 2014 12:02 pm

It is minus windchills so I am bbqing chicken.

2 cups vinegar
1 cup oil
1.5 tablespoons sea salt
1 tablespoon old bay
1 teaspoon pepper
1 beaten egg

Let marinate for 6 hours. Use chicken thighs, breast, skin on or off. As you grill baste with marinade. Then eat up!

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. Jan. 25, 2014 12:22 pm

Sounds more like grilling to me ;) but any port in a storm will do! I was thinking about doing some southern style BBQ chicken and ribs in my WSM when the snow dies down. Maybe tomorrow? I had put the smoker away but broke it out again before Christmas to do 8 Lbs of venison roasts that got brined, rubbed, smoked and thin sliced for party pickin's. Two weeks later I used it again for a smoked brined turkey. Both of those smokes were done when it was in the teens.

Never too early, eh Rwalker? :)
  • :cheers: :cheers:

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Sat. Jan. 25, 2014 1:03 pm

RW

Next time instead of old bay use poultry seasoning and marinate for a min. 24hrs. Im bettin youll never use old bay on chicken again 8-)

Waldo

Noxwill

Post by Noxwill » Tue. Nov. 13, 2018 7:05 am

Sorry for bumping...just my two cents...

We are in Nebraska and find our grill almost unusable in winter & when the wind blows. I just cleaned the entire grill including the orifice, hose, and all metal parts. We bought a tradition LS in 2005. I am fixing to get in touch with Holland for possible solutions. This site talks about orifices but sounds like our grill already has the correct one, Our dealer when we questioned him said that he widhed they would come out with a bigger orifice. Yes it will cook but takes way to long. I tested it the last two days at 20 degrees & 0 degrees. It gets to the same temp.(350) on the outer thermometer but only 360 inside at 20 degrees and 325 inside @ 0 degrees outside temp. I don't want to condemn Holland until I get a chance to talk to them & see what they have to say for a remedy. Their customer service was great on a previous unrelated problem.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Nov. 13, 2018 7:18 am

I solved a similar problem on my parents Holland grill with a new regulator, and a slightly larger gas orifice.

Return to “Food & Recipes”