Sunbeam Coffeemaster Collectors Corner (the Vac-Pack)

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. May. 26, 2012 5:22 pm

Photos of a C30C with the original gasket/seal on the left, the Dayseal replacement gasket on the right. The Replacement gasket does set the top vessel higher, resulting in a larger clearance between the tube and the bottom of the lower vessel. This can result in overflow during brewing.

The left unit stayed on High longer so the right unit won the race.
DSCN1139.JPG
.JPG | 147.7KB | DSCN1139.JPG
DSCN1140.JPG
.JPG | 101.8KB | DSCN1140.JPG
DSCN1142.JPG
.JPG | 176.5KB | DSCN1142.JPG
DSCN1144.JPG
.JPG | 173.4KB | DSCN1144.JPG

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. May. 26, 2012 5:28 pm

W'nC - Where did you get your Dayseal aftermarket seal from? Is there more than one piece?

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. May. 26, 2012 5:31 pm

The gasket and the O ring (secondary gasket) both from Dayseal.

Look at the one on the left, it's mint. Even the white paint on the switch is like new.
DSCN1137.JPG
.JPG | 147.4KB | DSCN1137.JPG

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Thu. May. 31, 2012 1:08 pm

I have a C30A that I recently purchased on eBay. The original gasket was in fair shape but did not seal sufficiently to hold vacuum in the lower pot. Only about 2/3 of the brewed coffee would return. I ordered a new C30 gasket and O-ring from Dayseal.com.

My set arrived with obvious manual modifications to allow the seal to maintain the original depth. Once installed, it worked perfectly on my test 6 cup run. The C30A can brew 8 cups but that test will have to wait until my pulse rate returns to normal (my caffeine level drops) :shock:

Prior to installing the new seal system, I measured the top-pot height with a combination square. The original height was 9.75" for my C30A. Once the Dayseal system was installed as per the diagram on Dayseal.com, I rechecked the height and confirmed it to be the same with out any modifications on my part.

Here are some pictures comparing the original 63 year old neoprene gasket from my C30A with the embeded retainer ring (on the right) to the new Dayseal main seal. The as-received manual modification to the Dayseal are apparent in the photographs. Subsequent post will show the assembled height comparison and another picture of the inverted C30 Dayseal main gasket. I didn't include a picture of the O-ring - it looks just as you'd assume :)

Attachments

Day_R-Orig_L_1.JPG

New C30 Dayseal on left, original 63 yr old C30A gasket on the right.

.JPG | 156.9KB | Day_R-Orig_L_1.JPG
Day_R-Orig_L_3.JPG

Same arrangement, different angle

.JPG | 144.9KB | Day_R-Orig_L_3.JPG
Day_R-Orig_L_4.JPG

Side-by-side height comparison

.JPG | 110.4KB | Day_R-Orig_L_4.JPG

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Thu. May. 31, 2012 1:32 pm

More pictures of the original C30A vs. C30 Dayseal.

The 6 cup test brew did not produce any overflow like W'nC experienced. This was most likely due to the as-received modifications made to the C30 Dayseal that maintained the original top-pot assembly height with respect to my C30A.
  • Notes from the 6 cup test run:
    • There were at least twice as many 'steam stir cycles' with the new Dayseal system as there was with the original C30A gasket. As stated in the previous post, the entire 6 cup test brew returned to the pot where as the 63 year old original seal lost enough vacuum to only pull 2/3 of the brew back to the lower pot. The new Dayseal system returned the original function to my 63 year old pot.
      • Great coffee flavor - the best :)

Attachments

DaysealC30.JPG

The inverted C30 Dayseal main gasket installed on the C30A top-pot. As-received mod is evident.

.JPG | 97KB | DaysealC30.JPG
OriginalHeight_1.JPG

Original C30A main gasket. Original installation measured 9.75".

.JPG | 117.5KB | OriginalHeight_1.JPG
DaysealAndOringInstalled.JPG

Newly installed Dayseal system matched the original height of 9.75".

.JPG | 107.2KB | DaysealAndOringInstalled.JPG

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. May. 31, 2012 6:45 pm

I'll be ordering another gasket for my other C30C as well as one for the C20. :D

Dave, I was just thinking (amazing), Even if the assembled height of the top vessel is the same the bottom of the tube can still sit differently when placed into the lower vessel due to the different gasket.

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Thu. May. 31, 2012 7:31 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:Dave, I was just thinking (amazing), Even if the assembled height of the top vessel is the same the bottom of the tube can still sit differently when placed into the lower vessel due to the different gasket.
I've been thinking* about that too (*-see what caffeine, cafestrol and kaweol does to you :shock: ). That will be the next set of measurements I'll take. I'll need to juggle two squares to determine that measurement. The side-by-side pic shows a slightly different bevel profile but I doubt it's that much different. The new one is so soft it will likely conform to the shape of the bottom-pot. The original Sunbeam is so stiff and backed by the SS spring instert would make that less conforming to the shape of the bottom-pot. I can reuse the original Sunbeam gasket as I didn't destroy it to extract the retainer ring. The 'acid test' will be tomorrow when I run a full 8 cup brew cycle with the Dayseal system.

Attachments

Day_R-Orig_L_2.JPG
.JPG | 71.7KB | Day_R-Orig_L_2.JPG

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. May. 31, 2012 9:49 pm

I used my 1/4 sheet sander and 150 grit to thin out the new gasket a little, to make it more like the original one. Even though I kept comparing it to the original, I guess I went a little too far, the new gasket ended up being loose after I installed it. I moved the O ring between the tube and the upper vessel, everything is tight, test run with water is OK, coffee in the morning. At this point I figure the retainer is sealing the gasket against the bottom of the upper vessel.
DSCN1172.JPG

Orig vs. new

.JPG | 122.4KB | DSCN1172.JPG
DSCN1177.JPG
.JPG | 99.6KB | DSCN1177.JPG
DSCN1178.JPG
.JPG | 85.7KB | DSCN1178.JPG
DSCN1179.JPG
.JPG | 138.6KB | DSCN1179.JPG
DSCN1185.JPG

After "thinning"

.JPG | 109.4KB | DSCN1185.JPG
DSCN1187.JPG

After "thinning"

.JPG | 132.2KB | DSCN1187.JPG
DSCN1188.JPG
.JPG | 135.9KB | DSCN1188.JPG

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Fri. Jun. 01, 2012 5:05 pm

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:
Wood'nCoal wrote:Dave, I was just thinking (amazing), Even if the assembled height of the top vessel is the same the bottom of the tube can still sit differently when placed into the lower vessel due to the different gasket.
I've been thinking* about that too (*-see what caffeine, cafestrol and kaweol does to you :shock: ). That will be the next set of measurements I'll take. I'll need to juggle two squares to determine that measurement. The side-by-side pic shows a slightly different bevel profile but I doubt it's that much different. The new one is so soft it will likely conform to the shape of the bottom-pot. The original Sunbeam is so stiff and backed by the SS spring insert would make that less conforming to the shape of the bottom-pot. I can reuse the original Sunbeam gasket as I didn't destroy it to extract the retainer ring. The 'acid test' will be tomorrow when I run a full 8 cup brew cycle with the Dayseal system.
No problem brewing a full pot with the Dayseal system installed as received. Normal time and no overflow issues.

I measured the overall C30A height with both gasket systems installed and assembles. They both had the same 11 11/32" overall height.

Attachments

Original_OverallHeight_2.JPG

11 11/32" Height with the original Sunbeam C30A gasket.

.JPG | 136KB | Original_OverallHeight_2.JPG
Dayseal_OverallHeight_1.JPG

11 11/32" Height with the Dayseal C30 system.

.JPG | 120.1KB | Dayseal_OverallHeight_1.JPG
OverallHeight_1.JPG
.JPG | 103.6KB | OverallHeight_1.JPG

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Jun. 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Good to hear.

I have some measuring sticks similar to those. :D

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Jul. 02, 2012 10:03 pm

Letter Block:
DSCN1256.JPG
.JPG | 67KB | DSCN1256.JPG
DSCN1258.JPG
.JPG | 75KB | DSCN1258.JPG

Carl D

Post by Carl D » Sat. Apr. 10, 2021 2:42 pm

Hi, new member here.
Re: Sunbeam c30 gasket
I thought to myself that perhaps the (very) hard gasket could be sanded down a little so it would fit. I had nothing to lose because I was planning on ordering a replacement at dayseal.net. Anyway, it can be done because I just did it. You can fix this problem for the cost of a sheet of sandpaper. I removed the gasket by unscrewing the inverted spout under the upper pot that acts as a retainer for the gasket. I dry sanded (though I now recommend wet sanding because the black dust it produces gets messy) it by grasping the gasket with the sandpaper and repeatedly twisting the gasket to slowly reduce the part of the gasket that comes in contact with the lower pot. It took a while of sanding, slowly removing material and incrementally reducing the diameter. I checked the fit on the lower pot frequently. I stopped when I could get the gasket to fit, but very snugly. You want to stop when it fits, but very tightly because it does still need to enable a vacuum to draw the coffee down. The taper of the gasket aids with this sealing so your sanding does not need to be super precise. Just sand it enough so it will go on. Got it? Very easy! Super cheap! Does require a little "elbow grease", okay?

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Apr. 10, 2021 3:34 pm

Carl,Welcome! Thanx for waking this Topic Thread Up!! These "Java Animals" really took it to n.v ew heights on this one!! Oh,just so you know,we've officially entered "Slow Season" here on Da' Coal Board! Guys still drop by,but just like these Coffee Bean Jokers,they've got their noses into other interests. If you have questions on anything,they may take a little longer to get answered! Enjoy!!

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Apr. 18, 2021 9:29 pm

Sounds like a good idea Carl, as long as the gasket isn't so badly hardened that nothing will make it usable again, like the seals that are so brittle it's impossible to separate the top and bottom vessels.
I've been using the same C30C with the Dayseal every morning for quite a few years now, it's holding up fine so far.

Bailey

Post by Bailey » Sun. Sep. 25, 2022 5:55 pm

Hello, I bought a second sunbeam coffeemaster today, a C30A. The rubber gasket is as hard as a rock so I plan on getting a replacement off of dayseal. However, I don't know how to remove the old one and put on a new one. Can someone explain to me how I go about doing that please?

Return to “Food & Recipes”