Who's Doing Food Storage

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Fri. Apr. 22, 2011 10:15 pm

i'm just getting started with mine . I think I have been I denile but the more I see and here it is time . i'm starting to go in to panic mode . if I have to some bills will go un paid for a while . my family comes first . going to start with dry long term goods . I bought 10 ounces of silver less than 4 weeks ago . it's gone up 10 $ per ounce since . thats crazy !

jeromemsn
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker 90 dvc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman elite fireplace insert

Post by jeromemsn » Sat. Apr. 23, 2011 12:11 am

I do dry goods, frozen goods, and canned goods. You just can't go wrong no matter what happens to the economy.

I just bought 2 acres of land here to cultivate and plant and hope to start a Produce Subscription Service. There are two other farms within about 50 miles of me that do the same and they sell a yearly subscription for $700.00 for the full year and $350.00 for just the fall. You get a Bushel Basket a week with fruits and veggies all grown on site. I hope to be up and fully running with fruit trees in about 4 years. It will be something to do if nothing else and the freezer will always be full.

I bought an Allis G tractor.....weird little tractor but you can see everything that your doing.

http://www.etruth.com/know/news/story.aspx?ID=539971

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sat. Apr. 23, 2011 8:13 am

You may want to check the archives. There have been a couple of threads on this topic - Ugly Squirrel's is the latest. Lisa

gunloader55

Post by gunloader55 » Wed. Dec. 18, 2013 12:01 am

been doing storage for years now,if you start canning i'd say spend the money for tattler canning lids over metal throw away,will save in long run and when crap hits the fan your ok.also wheat berries and grain mill are must have.prep and tell no one good luck.

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Wed. Jan. 08, 2014 8:00 pm

Always a smart idea. The grocery store has at best, three days worth of food.

With various storms causing all kinds of messes, having at least SOME food to last maybe a month should be something everyone has.

If you are anticipating the "zombie apocalypse", then more of everything is prudent. :D

NJJoe

Post by NJJoe » Thu. Jan. 09, 2014 8:58 am

I do food storage mostly because I enjoy growing my own stuff. I like knowing exactly what I'm eating and taking pride it wasn't genetically modified or grown with chemicals. Fertilizer is old fashioned manure and my plants love it. I had 7 foot tall tomato plants last season :P Preparation for disaster is a secondary but nonetheless a welcome benefit. I grow alot of my own veggies. I can alot of stuff, sauces, purees, veggie dips, pickled veggies. I made a crock of brine pickles too that didnt have to be canned. I also have a vacuum food saver that I use for meats. The packaged meats are then frozen. I have a food dehydrator as well and use that for herbs, beans and possibly jerky in the future. I'm also interested in sausage making. I have a smoker as well and hope to be able to smoke some meats for long term storage.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Thu. Jan. 09, 2014 9:06 am

The Amish store Lehman's has a very selection of canning materials.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Jan. 09, 2014 9:11 am

Tattler lids RULE - we bought some last year. So far about the only canning we've done is tomatoes for sauce. This year we didn't get crap - most of them split and rotted on the vine.

I've got a short supply of freeze dried emergency food, good for 25 years from Foodinsurance.com (pricey, but gourmet) & MyPatriotSupply.com (MUCH cheaper).

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Thu. Jan. 09, 2014 9:28 am

Dried beans and rice. Between the two,..complete nutrition. Cheap and easy to prepare. Boring, perhaps but a boat load of dried beans and dried rice will keep you alive a long time. :D

NJJoe

Post by NJJoe » Thu. Jan. 09, 2014 9:28 am

I also forgot to mention that I am looking to buy a pressure canner this season. I'll be able to can virtually anything I want with this. Regular boiling water canning requires you to acidify the interior contents of the jar. Boiling water does not get hot enough to kill botulism spores so the added acid is added as a safeguard. Downside is that you need to add lemon juice, citric acid, vinegar etc... to your jars' contents. Pressure canning achieves far higher temperatures kills the spores this way so you don't need to acidify the contents. You can safely can soups, stocks, veggies and even meat this way.

There are so many farms around me that grow naturally and organically. For instance, one weekend buy 50 pounds of string beans and pressure can them, maybe I will have a resulting 20-30 jars which should last me for the year. And if I do this for most of the veggies/foods I anticipate needing then my trips to the grocery store will be few and far between. Yes it is time consuming but you save money, help promote local farms and the health benefits you get by eating food you trust are not measured in $$$

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Jan. 09, 2014 9:34 am

FYI, silver has done nothing nor has gold in fact it will probably start going down but but I am not a trader. I don't know if that mean anything I am just relaying the info. Stored food is more expensive and is not as nutritious. I can't tell you whether the world is about to unfold or not, many think it is, however, I do not agree.

It is good to store stuff you are going to need in a crisis and coal is better than most as a store of value and will not degrade and you WILL need it some day. Yep, it's coal and not because it's a coal board. Do you wish to join the crowd that has lived off of MRE for years - yuk.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Thu. Jan. 09, 2014 10:21 am

NJJoe wrote:I also forgot to mention that I am looking to buy a pressure canner this season. I'll be able to can virtually anything I want with this. Regular boiling water canning requires you to acidify the interior contents of the jar. Boiling water does not get hot enough to kill botulism spores so the added acid is added as a safeguard. Downside is that you need to add lemon juice, citric acid, vinegar etc... to your jars' contents. Pressure canning achieves far higher temperatures kills the spores this way so you don't need to acidify the contents. You can safely can soups, stocks, veggies and even meat this way.

There are so many farms around me that grow naturally and organically. For instance, one weekend buy 50 pounds of string beans and pressure can them, maybe I will have a resulting 20-30 jars which should last me for the year. And if I do this for most of the veggies/foods I anticipate needing then my trips to the grocery store will be few and far between. Yes it is time consuming but you save money, help promote local farms and the health benefits you get by eating food you trust are not measured in $$$
We have 2 canners because we can so much food. We do bunches of green beans, make our own spaghetti sauce, beets, sauerkraut(which doesn't require a canner), cabbage, and so forth. We can meat also.....beef, venison and pork.

I get a whole hog, and do the butchering myself. We usually get over 100 lbs. of sausage out of a hog. I don't cure the hams, those go into the canning jars. We have enough canned and dry goods to last a family of 5 at least 6 months.

NJJoe

Post by NJJoe » Thu. Jan. 09, 2014 10:47 am

SWPaDon wrote: -snip-
Bravo :clap:

mmcoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by mmcoal » Thu. Jan. 09, 2014 11:01 am

I heard you can even can milk. I would like to start canning this year myself. I like the idea of being able to store so many different types of food for long periods of time with no worry about electricity to run a freezer.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Thu. Jan. 09, 2014 11:06 am

I think they sell canned milk from Carnation at the grocery store and it lasts about six months.

Return to “Food & Recipes”