Grills

klinker

Post by klinker » Mon. May. 30, 2011 7:53 pm

Weber is the way to go my friend and if you have a small family a Weber Q200 works quite well. I have both a Q 200 and a Genisis 310 but use the 200 more. It heats up much faster so uses less propane but at party time I need the 310. Weber you can't go wrong.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Wed. Apr. 01, 2015 10:38 am

I really enjoy reading everyone's comments and personal experiences.

Basically, If I just plan on grilling hamburgers and hotdogs for a family of four, any grill will work. However, based on the majority of comments, Weber makes the best grill.

Am I right?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Apr. 01, 2015 11:41 am

I hear the neighbor cursing his grill everytime he has to change the gas bottle. He got it new two years ago. Not sure why he has trouble, but I noticed it says "Weber" on the lid.

Best thing I ever did as far as making any grill last longer is buying the heavy duty, convertible car top type material cover from Lowes and making sure to put it on the grill as soon as it's cooled down enough.

Three years with the grill out in the weather 24/7/365 and used every day it's not raining for the 3-4 months of our warmer weather. It still looks and works like new.

Paul

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Apr. 01, 2015 1:49 pm

Yes I agree with the cover. I'm going on 5 years with my grill. I did replace the burners last year and I have a spare tank to have on hand when my current tank is empty. Saves a great deal of frustration when the tank runs empty. It always seems to happen when I'm cooking.. Always shut off the tank when not in use too. You never know if a tiny leak is bleeding propane off and then you have an empty tank again. :lol:

jimg
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Columbia Kitchen Range in pieces, Monarch Kitchen Range in house
Coal Size/Type: Rice for EFM and Stove/Nut for hand fired

Post by jimg » Wed. Apr. 01, 2015 4:36 pm

I have a Grill Dome which is like the BGE. I also have 2 Weber charcoal grills the older of which is probably 30+ years old. Have had gas grills in the past. The Grill Dome is my favorite by far, very flexible in terms of temperatures you can cook at. You can sear steaks at 600 degrees or smoke a brisket or pork butt at 225 for hours without adding fuel. Charcoal use is very efficient and it is so easy to shut down and reuse the remaining charcoal another day. I also like the fact that I can cut my own chunks of sassafras, cherry, apple or whatever else you want and add to the recommended lump charcoal. I've made bread and phenomenal pizza. Bread in a covered ovenproof bowl (Jim Lahey style) and pizza on a ceramic pizza stone at very high temps. All kinds of meat, whole turkey, beer can chicken, salmon, well stuff you grill. Not had a bad meal yet...

I talked about getting one for years and my wife finally talked me into it last year and I haven't regretted it for a minute. She is smarter than me.. Downside, it was expensive but has a lifetime warranty so as long as I don't break it, it should be around for a good long time.

Jim

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Apr. 01, 2015 7:58 pm

Next month will be year #5 for that same Weber I posted a pic of on the previous page back in '11. Still working! 8-) Nothing has rusted to pieces that I can see. I haven't cleaned it in 2 years, so something MIGHT be hiding under all the grease .... :lol: We use it at least 5 days a week, 365 days a year.

Those cheap crap ones I used to buy from Sears or Wal-Mart would be finished by the 3rd year. We leave it out on our enclosed porch 24/7. The humidity out there always rusted them out. With this one I've replaced NOTHING, except propane, and foil pans for grease. Oooh haven't done that in a while either .... :|

One issue I had with the unit, was one of the burner's valves got really stiff. We just left it on all the time, and just shut the gas off on the bottle instead. Then one day out of the blue, I grabbed it by accident, and it was smooth like new! Go figure! Was screwed up for at least 3 years. No idea why, and I wasn't motivated to fix it since it has 2 other burners I can use. :)

Attachments

Weber grill, 4-1-2015.JPG
.JPG | 155.4KB | Weber grill, 4-1-2015.JPG

Return to “Food & Recipes”