Favorite Whiskey

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 8:39 am

Basil Hayden's 8 year old.

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 138.9KB | image.jpg

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 3:06 pm

Gekko wrote:Basil Hayden's 8 year old.
Always gets high marks.

Something about Basil that seems to give a off flavor, Sharp maybe? Tastes are of course subjective.

Captain Michael

Post by Captain Michael » Sun. Mar. 02, 2014 7:53 pm

Elmer T Lee almost single handed lee save the bourbon industry with single barrel bourbon. He was the head distiller at Blantons in the 80 s when bourbon was all but dead in favor of vodka. Elmer started the high end single barrel idea and as they say, the rest is history. Elmer just died late last year and Blantons has honored his contribution with a bourbon in his name. Just saying

Captain Michael

Post by Captain Michael » Sun. Mar. 02, 2014 8:04 pm

Elijah Craig is very good also. 12 years old and less than 30 a bottle. Elijah's contribution is he was the first to char the inside of the barrels. Charcoal filtering. Very serious advance in whiskey aging.

Cyber36
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Marathon/Logwood

Post by Cyber36 » Thu. Mar. 06, 2014 2:03 pm

Captain Michael wrote:Elijah Craig is very good also. 12 years old and less than 30 a bottle. Elijah's contribution is he was the first to char the inside of the barrels. Charcoal filtering. Very serious advance in whiskey aging.
Yes, very good stuff!! :)

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Mar. 06, 2014 4:58 pm

CM, what part of the Country was Bourbon ever almost dead in favor of Vodka?????? Not at MY country club! :clap: toothy

Captain Michael

Post by Captain Michael » Sun. Mar. 16, 2014 1:09 am

35 years ago bourbon was out of favor

Captain Michael

Post by Captain Michael » Sun. Mar. 16, 2014 1:11 am

Pennsylvania helped out with bourbon also. Tell me how?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Mar. 16, 2014 8:46 pm

Barge/rail...

Djcoak6071
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon - Husky
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite
Other Heating: Oil/Wood

Post by Djcoak6071 » Wed. Oct. 28, 2015 6:41 am

Never liked whisky much but I do like the JD honey. Just enough to take the initial bite out but not like a sweet mixed drink. I guess I'll get called a girl for drinking it but oh well lol. Besides I feel like I am supporting my bees since I raise them.

Ky Speedracer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Florence HotBlast NO.68 & Potbelly
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HotBlast 1557M
Coal Size/Type: Ky Lump & Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Ky Speedracer » Wed. Oct. 28, 2015 3:14 pm

Well first let me just say, I love bourbon! Bourbon is NOT whiskey...but it's pretty close.

When it comes to whiskey, probably Gentlemen JD is my favorite. Followed by Crown and then I've been known to do a shot or two of Fireball. Gentlemen is best neat, Crown with 2 cubes of ice and Fireball is best as a 20* shot.

Now, as for bourbons... Funny how something that was original just known as "corn liquor" became really good bourbon. The US Treasury gets some credit. When they identified the category for taxation (I think this was in the late 1800s or early 1900s, not sure) they specified it to be at least 51% corn and aged for a minimum of 2 years in NEW oak barrels.

1) Blanton's is hands down my fav.
2) Pappy Van Winkle 15 year is next (12 year and 20 year are good but in my opinion 15 is the sweet spot).
3) Woodford Reserve
4) Elijah Craig
5) Buffalo Trace
6) And number 1 for the price, is Old Forester.

All bourbon's should be sipped either neat or with 1 large ice cube... As well as enjoyed with a pipe full of your favorite tobacco (I'm partial to Samuel Gawith full Virginia flake) or a fine cigar.

As for Tequila - Don Eduardo or Patron'

Yeah I know... I probably know way more about this than I should...but what the hell!

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Wed. Oct. 28, 2015 3:43 pm

I used to enjoy bourbon , bullet bourbon. If you like Jack , Heaven Hill tastes exactly like it at about half the price . I now enjoy ice cold Irish whiskey . My favorite is Bushmills. Being on blood thinners , I'm only allowed 2 drinks a day , usually beer , St Pauli Girl . My doctor said when I drink whiskey I'm to take one less blood thinner pill. Makes me wonder if I could thin my blood with whiskey. Probably cause a lot of different problems. Drink up fellas , here's to ya. :cheers:
Dave

labman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman mk II
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by labman » Wed. Oct. 28, 2015 9:45 pm

Up until 2 years ago I drank a lot of Bourbons. I mean ALOT!!! Now the doctors say NO? Buffalo Trace was my favorite. Drank a lot od J.D., and really enjoyed Booker.
Now I can only smell the cork! You all enjoy one for me!

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Tue. Nov. 10, 2015 1:11 am

I worked in the booze business for many years although I've been away from it for almost 20 years. Maybe something changed in those years?

As I recall,
Heaven Hill, Evan Williams and Elijah Craig are all the same whiskey. The age length is what varies. Bourbon must be aged 3 years minimum by law. That's probably all that Heaven Hill gets. Evan Williams used to be sold as an 8 year Bourbon in Pa. only, and 7 years everywhere else. I believe that brand is down graded to a 4 year, today. The Elijah Craig label was brought out in the late 90's and is a 12 year Bourbon. The old 7 or 8 year Evan Williams WAS one of the best Bourbons for bargain money you could buy.

Jack Daniels was not legally a Bourbon. It and Geo. Dickel were in a legal category of "Straight Tennessee Whiskey". Not long ago, the state of Tennessee established rules on whiskey made there. They adopted many of the legal requirements of Bourbon. Like a min. of 51% corn in the mash and charred barrels. Also the charcoal filtering prior to barreling that most Bourbons didn't use.

Bourbon was fading away by the mid 80's, but diehards had every bar and restaurant regularly buying it. Scotch was in much worse shape for sales at the time. It was an accepted prediction in the 80's that the last living Scotch drinker (in the US) would be gone in 15 or 20 years. Single Malts were discovered by younger drinkers and saved the whole Scotch market. Unfortunately all the standard brands went along for 200 % or more price increases. Working man Scotch was dead. There were a couple of "ringer" labels that were quality blended Scotch, bottled here and sold very reasonably. All gone.

Booze trends and fads come and go away, usually gradually. Abut every 8 or ten years it goes on to or back to, something else. Micro, pardon me, craft beers are back for the third time and much more popular than other era's. Some fantastic brew being made ( and fantastic prices), but they will slide again.

Return to “Food & Recipes”