Pellet smokers

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Sun. Feb. 06, 2022 2:01 pm

I wondered out to the deck yesterday with some cabin fever and fired up my big box store propane grill. Grilled some burgers and dogs at 7 degrees haha. It’s about 5 years old and she’s ready to be put to bed. Maybe a 150-200$ unit from the big box store. It’s an everyday cooking machine from April/may well into November. So I feel with how it’s treated and what I’m seeing for body rot, she’s gonna go to pasture.

I love bbq. Period. So chattin with some friends they all have pellet smoker/grills. Never used one myself. I have a propane chest style smoker that is cumbersome to get out and use, but I’m really liking the versatility of these pellet smokers/grills. I have 2 camps with friends. The traeger guys and the recteq guys. Anyone use either one of these or any other brand they have a preference for? How well can these things grill as well as slow cook?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Apr. 19, 2022 6:28 am

Hi Anthony. My brother has a Traeger and likes it a lot. He typically cooks ribs and chicken on his.

anthony7812

Post by anthony7812 » Fri. Apr. 22, 2022 8:11 pm

Picked up a pitboss and hot damn it's awesome. Extremely convenient for me. Whip out my phone see what the meat probe reads and crack another adult beverage. Does some neat tricks but the end result is some fantastic smoked meat. It has a slide plate so I can do burgers and steak like a regular grill, which is pretty handy. Pellets are easy to come by. Haven't experimented yet on different styles of pellets, sticken with the competition blend until I get some more practice.

jedneck
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DSM Antramax
Baseburners & Antiques: Florin 20-12, red cross oak double heater, 3 columbians a epoch, emblem and palace
Coal Size/Type: nut or stove
Other Heating: Southbend Banner range

Post by jedneck » Sat. Apr. 23, 2022 11:47 am

Pizza is da sheeet on a pellet grill.
Mum uses hers same as an oven. Breads, crisps/cobblers, you name it she prolly made it on pellet grill.

Paper
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Working on it
Other Heating: Woodland wood stove

Post by Paper » Mon. May. 02, 2022 11:05 am

jedneck wrote:
Sat. Apr. 23, 2022 11:47 am
Pizza is da sheeet on a pellet grill.
Amen Brother!!!! Even a cheap frozen pizza, with some extra toppings is delicious!! I've got a Pitboss Tailgater and I put the pizza on a non-stick pizza pan and if time isn't an issue, I smoke for 45ish minutes at 225 and then crank it to 400 until the cheese is getting browned a bit. :baby:

No leftovers... Can't stop eating!!

azella1

Post by azella1 » Sat. Jul. 09, 2022 2:17 pm

anthony7812 wrote:
Sun. Feb. 06, 2022 2:01 pm
I wondered out to the deck yesterday with some cabin fever and fired up my big box store propane grill. Grilled some burgers and dogs at 7 degrees haha. It’s about 5 years old and she’s ready to be put to bed. Maybe a 150-200$ unit from the big box store. It’s an everyday cooking machine from April/may well into November. So I feel with how it’s treated and what I’m seeing for body rot, she’s gonna go to pasture.

I love bbq. Period. So chattin with some friends they all have pellet smoker/grills. Never used one myself. I have a propane chest style smoker that is cumbersome to get out and use, but I’m really liking the versatility of these pellet smokers/grills. I have 2 camps with friends. The traeger guys and the recteq guys. Anyone use either one of these or any other brand they have a preference for? How well can these things grill as well as slow cook?
I bought pitboss and I am very satisfied.
Last edited by azella1 on Sun. Jul. 10, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Sat. Jul. 09, 2022 3:03 pm

The best things about grills is it's virtually impossible to screw up. On point? tasty. Burnt? still tasty. It's pretty much alchemy, ugly veggies go in, tasty charred delicacies come out...

anthony7812

Post by anthony7812 » Sat. Jul. 09, 2022 10:15 pm

I made some homemade jalapeños poppers wrapped in bacon last weekend. wooooweeee. 300 for about 20 minutes while the pork was resting. Amazing

Cassy0110

Post by Cassy0110 » Thu. Sep. 22, 2022 11:07 pm

I’ve bought a charcoal smoker https://houseandbeyond.org/best-charcoal-smoker/ Royal, the second one. lt is Better than any lame gas grill I used, I’m not an expert at grilling but I made some awesome burgers and weenies on this thing, it was easy not to burn the food, and it comes with a Smoker.

anthony7812

Post by anthony7812 » Fri. Sep. 23, 2022 6:42 pm

Doc said cholesterol spiked since last physical.... told him "dude.... I got a smoker" almost got a high five from the doc. 🤣

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Sep. 24, 2022 8:20 am

anthony7812 wrote:
Fri. Sep. 23, 2022 6:42 pm
Doc said cholesterol spiked since last physical.... told him "dude.... I got a smoker" almost got a high five from the doc. 🤣
:clap: hahaha! Uh,uh,uh, I can't breathe. Laughing sooo hard! :lol:

Return to “Food & Recipes”