Injured left Foot

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Nov. 24, 2023 12:53 pm

I clear cut about an acre of my property, dropping every tree exactly where I had planned. So I got cocky. On the other side of my property there were 3 maples all sharing a root system. I figured I could drop all 3 no problem, and not move my trailers, or my '92 Volvo 940 parts car. Well ... that didn't work out! First one hit my trailer. I should've quit then!

The next one ....
Volvo, '92, tree damage.jpeg
.JPEG | 389.7KB | Volvo, '92, tree damage.jpeg

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Nov. 24, 2023 5:58 pm

Just so this is clear... you dropped a tree on your trailer AND then dropped a completely different tree on your car?

I would of dropped the chainsaw right there and headed to the bar, told the bartender to leave the bottle. Hopefully someone steals the saw before you get back. Think of the money you would save you. LOL

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Nov. 25, 2023 12:54 am

YEP! Didn't do any damage to the trailer - it was my flatbed, luckily. Had it been the enclosed Carmate, it would've crushed it flat!! It just bounced off the Dively, made right in PA. 8-)

I quit drinking almost 4 years ago, so there's no escape from myself now! :lol:

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Nov. 25, 2023 9:09 am

I would of made an exception for that. I don't drink myself much anymore, when I was on my trip last Fall I probably drank more in 5 weeks than I drank in the previous 5 years.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Nov. 25, 2023 11:58 am

That happens! :lol:

Me and one of my best friends used to go up to visit a buddy up in ME every year. We'd take a week off, and it would just be an absolute liver-smashing bender, 24/7, every day! :D He was way up in the woods, but he had all the vices of the city there, if you know what I mean. I'd go to sleep in my tent blackout drunk, then wake up to someone handing me a glass of whiskey for breakfast.

I think back and wonder how I survived it all.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Nov. 25, 2023 12:37 pm

SMITTY wrote:
Sat. Nov. 25, 2023 11:58 am
I think back and wonder how I survived it all.
When I get together with some of my good friends from my 20's the conversation usually comes around to how we all managed to survive. No one dead, , no one in a wheelchair, no one with missing appendages, no one with significant scars. One of them is a bad alcoholic but overall everyone did pretty well as we matured. He was the guy that would get out of his tent and open a beer. No water, no coffee, nothing to eat... right to the beer.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Nov. 25, 2023 12:55 pm

Same here! The more amazing thing is I never once got a DUI. Been pulled over MANY times blistering drunk. For some reason I was able to keep it together enough to get let go, lol. :lol:

We all started boozing at age 12 around here. I must have a liver 8x the average human size, HAHAHAAHA!

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Nov. 25, 2023 3:08 pm

SMITTY wrote:
Sat. Nov. 25, 2023 12:55 pm

We all started boozing at age 12 around here.
When I was that young my best friends father had a beer miser. :D They knew what was going on but I guess since they knew exactly where we were they didn't care.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Nov. 26, 2023 1:33 pm

Good ol' days! :D

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Sun. Nov. 26, 2023 9:07 pm

I'm glad you had the good sense to jump in the trench. I don't mind dropping a nice straight balanced tree, unfortunately most aren't.

I smashed the tip of my left pinky finger back in the spring, I didn't even lose the nail, but it popped the end open and it split the bone lengthways. Damn that hurt, I went to urgent care and it still cost $1700 I got 1 x-ray a splint an a tetanus shot.

I suggest you look into comfrey salve. Comfrey(common name knitbone) is a plant that is mildly poisonous if eaten but can be used externally safely. Scamazon has several options. Unlike many herbs it has been tested and does do something positive although all preparations are different and it's not standardized
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3580139/

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Mon. Nov. 27, 2023 9:48 pm

I guess we can assume the foot is OK and on the mend with some R&R?

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Mon. Dec. 04, 2023 5:59 am

Funny thing about the foot injury is that the pain had subsided the day after but a couple days after that, it had come back and was higher up above the ankle bone. There is still a little swelling. I messaged my Primary Care MD for a referral to an ortho MD. I went to see him. The visit was pretty quick. They took 3 xrays and said nothing broken. He wanted to put a boot on it and come back in 2 weeks then start PT then.... I told the doctor I only wanted to rule out the possibility of a broken bone and doing more damage by bearing weight. Told him that it hurts worse after extended rest and that I want to get mobile while taking it easy. Anyway I left there with no follow up appointments or boots or splints or??? Oh, he examined the foot/ankle, he twisted it this way and that way. He touched it here and there asking for pain. I identified where the pain was and explained how it had radiated up higher than the ankle thus causing me concern. Doctor said there are 2 nerves running up outer edge of the leg and the swelling is probably putting pressure on the nerves. I described the pain as burning. At that point it was very difficult to bear weight after getting out of bed and or resting but, after ambulating for a bit, I could bear weight. Had a constant pain of about 6.
I think yesterday was a turning point. The pain is milder and there is a noticeable decrease in limitation when arising from rest. Navigating the stairs is easier. My guess is it will be weeks before I don't notice I had an issue.
The foot injury made me realize the work and dedication/commitment involved with burning coal. The stoves do not care about my foot.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Tue. Dec. 05, 2023 3:04 pm

That sounds like good news. I sprained an ankle as a teen and it wasn't bad that day but was in terrible pain the next day and it must have persisted for a month and then in about a weeks time went to almost normal. I guess the point is that the body can be funny about how it heals. I don't like to use pain meds either because I believe they will let you screw things up more.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Mon. Dec. 18, 2023 12:48 pm

At this point I think my foot/ankle is about 88%. Still not perfect but most of the time hardly noticeable.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Dec. 19, 2023 12:26 am

88% is better'n 8%, no doubt about it! :yes:

Return to “Health”