Had surgery this week.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. May. 20, 2023 7:27 pm

Wednesday i was at st joseph hospital for a skin flap surgery to remove Hidradenitis Suppurativa from my left armpit. The surgery did not take long, i checked in the hospital at 7 am and i left just before noon.
Not sure how long until i'm able to have full range of motion of my left arm. I had to do something, I was in constant pain and kept getting flareups and it had spread from my shoulder to my back.
When my son gets back from vacation he's going to help me finish planting and tilling the garden and shutting down and cleaning the boiler.
I can't drive because the pain meds they gave me are making me feel weird, but it sure beats the stabbing pain.
Moms friend brought us a chicken from Costco yesterday, we got 2 meals out of so far and the rest will go to chicken pot pie tomorrow.
this is the 6th surgery i had to remove HS! Pray for a cure!
here is a shot of my garden i got while i was out watering the tomatoes. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/--m6I_sM6pY
Scott

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. May. 20, 2023 7:33 pm

Hi Scott, hope you get to feeling better. We’ll put you on the prayer chain here and pray for healing.

Those plants look pretty good. You’re not far behind. I’m behind. Normally I have tomatoes to set out this time of year and raise my own. Haven’t put a seed in soil yet…and there’s still time.

Best tomato garden I ever had me and my 88 year old Pap sat out plants on 4th of July. Pap helped but didn’t think they’d make it, but said we’d water them from the cistern and give them a fighting chance.

Long story short, Pap said in all his years gardening it was the best garden he’d ever seen and the absolute best tomato patch he’d ever had. Didn’t matter…hybrids, heirlooms, determinate, indeterminate, they all produced a great patch of maters.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. May. 20, 2023 8:12 pm

6 surgeries ? That's a lot. I don't think that there is a cure...I don't think much of anything is available for the problem.

I assume that the surgery just removes affected tissue that slowly is replaced with other just as bad tissue?

Sounds super fun , not.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. May. 20, 2023 8:38 pm

Prayers headed your way L. Be well my friend. Nice garden set up. :)

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. May. 20, 2023 8:46 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Sat. May. 20, 2023 8:12 pm
6 surgeries ? That's a lot. I don't think that there is a cure...I don't think much of anything is available for the problem.

I assume that the surgery just removes affected tissue that slowly is replaced with other just as bad tissue?

Sounds super fun , not.
They did it differently on my behind in 2013. had 4 surgeries that year... they removed the skin and the sweat glands and let skin grow back. Don't ever take wiping your butt for granted lol.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. May. 20, 2023 8:51 pm

Sorry Lincoln. Im glad they can at least help it even if they cant cure it. You should be healed up and ready for summer soon :)

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. May. 21, 2023 9:52 am

lincolnmania wrote:
Sat. May. 20, 2023 8:46 pm
snip- Don't ever take wiping your butt for granted lol.
There's more than HS that makes that true..lol

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Mon. May. 22, 2023 4:35 pm

Thanks for sending me down that rabbit hole... or not! First time I heard of this, sounds terrible. Hopefully the surgery gives you relief.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Mon. May. 22, 2023 5:30 pm

Best of luck with the surgery recovery, Scott. Hope it did a lot of good. Don't sweat the garden for now.

Return to “Health”