High Cholesterol

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Mar. 14, 2023 5:55 am

Anybody concerned about high cholesterol?

If your cholesterol were high and the doctor recommended a drug would you take it?
Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 5.54.43 AM.png
.PNG | 41.7KB | Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 5.54.43 AM.png

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Tue. Mar. 14, 2023 7:44 am

Mine has always been around 250. Medication is worse than the condition. At 75, I take nothing. Your results may vary.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Mar. 14, 2023 7:53 am

No! Mine has always been high, good low, bad high.

My mother-in-law got off of her cholesterol meds because she said it made here feel horrible. Her hands and elbows remained sore and stiff. Said she couldn’t hardly move her hands. Yes…she’s 75, but she hasn’t had those symptoms in a few years now.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Mar. 14, 2023 7:59 am

Just like blood pressure…I think the medical field has moved all parameters (numbers) lower.

What I mean is this:
My family doctor is 80-81 years young. If you asked if him the recommended number threshold for BP, Cholesterol, etc., had been moved he will tell you the goal posts have been moved…the recommended numbers are now lower so that people get on drugs sooner at a lower threshold.

Like SonnyBoy and so many others often say, “follow the money”.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Mar. 14, 2023 9:35 am

Something I never knew until I started dating an RN. One of the side effects of most medications can be the problem that medication is being taken to treat. You won't hear about that unless you dig deeper into the medication info.

Drug companies have become extremely powerful in this country, and they don't make money if people are not sick. Anyone who doesn't believe that hasn't been paying attention the past three years.

Paul

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Mar. 14, 2023 9:59 am

Hoytman wrote:
Tue. Mar. 14, 2023 7:59 am
Just like blood pressure…I think the medical field has moved all parameters (numbers) lower.

What I mean is this:
My family doctor is 80-81 years young. If you asked if him the recommended number threshold for BP, Cholesterol, etc., had been moved he will tell you the goal posts have been moved…the recommended numbers are now lower so that people get on drugs sooner at a lower threshold.

Like SonnyBoy and so many others often say, “follow the money”.
I had the opposite experience with my doctor. She said that instead of recommending medication if your #'s are over a certain threshold (as they did for a long time) it is now based on multiple risk factors. My cholesterol numbers are high, and my family history of cardiovascular issues is terrible. I went through the process with my doctor and answered all of the questions. In the end she said I was on the fence, and recommended some lifestyle changes and revisiting in a year. I trust her judgement and did as she asked, and after a few years of monitoring we decided medication was the next step. I have been taking a generic statin drug for about 5 years and have maintained good cholesterol numbers with no side effects observed. Some people respond well to the medication, others do not. Each person has to evaluate their own situation and risk factors so they can make their own decision.

As for "follow the money", as someone who has worked in pharmaceutical manufacturing for almost 20 years I can tell you that generic statin drugs are NOT where the money is. Drugs like Lipitor were certainly huge money makers when they were on-patent, but now that there are multiple generics approved the price has dropped by about 90%. If someone wants the latest and greatest medication, that is a different story.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Mar. 14, 2023 10:03 am

mine was extremely high 10 yrs ago triglyceride was 660, doc put me on meds. they got it down to the 300's
in 2018 i decided to stop taking all the meds that several docs had me on, they were causing health problems.
had blood checked last yr it was normal under 120
had blood checked 2 weeks ago they are saying it's slightly elevated.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Mar. 14, 2023 11:07 am

lincolnmania wrote:
Tue. Mar. 14, 2023 10:03 am
mine was extremely high 10 yrs ago triglyceride was 660, doc put me on meds. they got it down to the 300's
in 2018 i decided to stop taking all the meds that several docs had me on, they were causing health problems.
had blood checked last yr it was normal under 120
had blood checked 2 weeks ago they are saying it's slightly elevated.
Did you change dietor do anything different to get down to the lower #'s?

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Mar. 14, 2023 1:19 pm

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Mar. 14, 2023 5:16 pm

Last time I had blood tested was for the service...I think if you had blood, you passed. Even if you had none, you'd still pass. Blood was not required to kill commies. Good-Old-Days.

Return to “Health”