Ketogenic Diet

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Mon. Feb. 13, 2023 5:56 pm

Anybody think diet alone could enhance a 74 year old person that barely walks, has Parkinson's, is obese, and lots of psych issues?

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Mon. Feb. 13, 2023 6:08 pm

You know what happens when your body goes into ketoacidosis, right?

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Mon. Feb. 13, 2023 6:16 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Mon. Feb. 13, 2023 6:08 pm
You know what happens when your body goes into ketoacidosis, right?
Is Ketoacidosis the same as Ketosis?

BigT
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 254
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Electric heat pump

Post by BigT » Mon. Feb. 13, 2023 7:44 pm

Keto diet seems unhealthy and expensive if you do it right. A change of daily eating habits can definitely help if you can stick to it. That’s the hard part! Look up eating for your blood type. It’s interesting and neat to see how your body reacts. Fasting is also beneficial

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Mon. Feb. 13, 2023 8:30 pm

I did what they call a dirty version of keto diet. I lost 135 lbs in about a year. Once I got in the keto state the fat just fell off. My doctor told me to stop because I was losing too much weight. I wouldn't recommend it for this elderly person.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 4:07 am

fig wrote:
Mon. Feb. 13, 2023 8:30 pm
I did what they call a dirty version of keto diet. I lost 135 lbs in about a year. Once I got in the keto state the fat just fell off. My doctor told me to stop because I was losing too much weight. I wouldn't recommend it for this elderly person.
What happened to the weight after you stopped? Did you regain? How are you today?

Was not the weight loss easy? Didn't you have more energy? Isn't the body designed to burn its own fat and isn't it nice to lose weight without being hungry and craving food and feeling like you are depriving yourself?

Why wouldn't you recommend for this elderly person?

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 8:02 am

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 8:26 am

What in the wide world of sports was that ? A case study ?

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 8:28 am

tsb wrote:
Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 8:26 am
What in the wide world of sports was that ? A case study ?
It will be. Going to find out in this instance if Carbohydrates have an effect on this person's health and see if restricting carbohydrates and a ketogenic diet enhances their health and well being. That video was taken the morning and day before carbohydrates were restricted.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 5:08 pm

[media] [/media]

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 6:35 pm

ColdHouse wrote:
Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 4:07 am
What happened to the weight after you stopped? Did you regain? How are you today?

Was not the weight loss easy? Didn't you have more energy? Isn't the body designed to burn its own fat and isn't it nice to lose weight without being hungry and craving food and feeling like you are depriving yourself?

Why wouldn't you recommend for this elderly person?
Well I wouldn't recommend the dirty version. I.E. only eating beef, pork, fish, cheese, eggs. I was eating essentially zero carbs. I don't think the way I did it would be healthy for an elderly person. I got the point where I was in a state of malnutrition. There is a healthy version where alot of highly nutrient greens and vegetables are also included. I just wasn't into that.

Yes it was very difficult getting started. I have a sugar addiction. That was the most difficult thing to stop. It took a while to get past it but the cravings dissipated and it became easy to say no thanks to the usual round of doughnuts or pastries at work and buying a box of Krispy Kremes on the way home then polishing it off.

I did have more energy until I lost too much weight. I was about 150. My doctor said I should be about 170. I was very weak. My muscles had begun to atrophy. The doc said to start eating carbs again. I started with things like beans and bread. Its been about two years since I started eating carbs again. I'm at 200 now. So I'm well passed my ideal weight. I was injured in an accident 6 months ago and was essentially bed ridden for 3 months. I started eating sugar again and the weight really piled on since I had no activity at all. Im back to work now so I'll be working on ending the sugar again and hopefully drop back to 170.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Thu. Feb. 16, 2023 6:06 am

I prepared a meal yesterday with Sautéed Brussels sprouts with cauliflower, had a spring mix salad that included several greens, sauerkraut, black olives, celery, tomato, cod liver and cod liver oil, Salmon, avocado and maybe some other things I forgot to mention. Everything was mixed together into one salad. Was superb! After the salad finished up with a few pecans. Eating once a day.

A couple years ago I went on a low carb diet. I started out at 204 pounds and ended up at 144. I was losing over 4 pounds per week. For 2 years I hovered between 150 & 160. The key is to eat once daily and stay away from processed foods and carbohydrates that have no nutrition.

I don't think it is really expensive. If you compare eating all day with all the snacks and sum up everything you buy and eat when eating all the carbs and terrible foods to eating once daily with quality food, my guess is it doesn't cost anymore money.

The key is to get all your nutrients from the food you consume.

This same woman was put on the low carb diet when I dieted a two years ago. Without any exercise she went from 165 to 110. Even at 110 she is obese because she is only 4'6" tall. The issue is there is more than me in this house and my wife and her husband and that DayBreak facility are all about junk food and carbs. The deal was if she stayed under 115 I didn't care what she ate. Well she was over 125 recently and her mobility is almost non existent and her cognition is in serious decline. Her affect is terrible. She drops her lower jaw her dentures hang over her lip and she drools.

She is in as bad a shape as I have seen her. She goes to Daybreak where they feed her a carbohydrate laden breakfast followed by a snack, with lunch right behind, and then another snack. She comes home to more carbohydrates. She eats all day non stop.

I wouldn't care if she was not to the point of almost not functioning. I am a firm believer that diet extremely effects a person's well being and health. Her husband, is morbidly obese, stage 2 diabetic, on statins, blood pressure medications, diabetes medications, with glaucoma. Terrible bloodwork with horrendous triglyceride levels. But he is pretty much independent and clear thinking whereas she is total care. So I don't care what he eats or that he chooses to take medications for illness that would not be prevalent with a proper diet.

Anyway the woman is staying home, not going to Daybreak, and is now on a strict clean ketogenic diet. I am all about objective data. Her current state of condition is obvious from just observing. There is no question in my mind that eating junk food, processed food, carbohydrate laden food, all day, non-stop is bad for ones health. Since she is reliant on someone else, me and or my wife, for everything, she is the way she is because of me and or my wife. She is not going to the store and buying junk food. We are and DayBreak is.

My belief is that feeding her nutritious food once daily will enhance her life. The wife is also on this diet. I do not care if she stays on it or not. Soon the junk food will be gone. The father/husband will need to go buy junk food or my wife will need to go get junk food for him because, if I am shopping and cooking for me and the old mother woman, I will cook enough for everyone. If they don't want to eat it or choose to eat something different then they can purchase that food and prepare it themselves.

Soon there will be an objective outcome. There is no doubt in my mind that a person that should weigh 85 pounds that weighs 125, would have ambulation issues, lethargy, and other health issues that she wouldn't have at the proper weight.

Acquiring nutrients from the food we eat is the best source of nutrients. The effects of eating processed carbohydrates can easily be objectively witnessed by simply looking at society. Everybody is addicted to sugar and carbohydrates and they are fat, and in poor health. They all want to take pharmaceuticals to improve their health when the problem is what they consume.

In your case if you were getting proper nutrition you would not have been under weight. Your response was to eat the wrong carbohydrates and then you couldn't control yourself so you went full circle.

Thinking that mobility and or exercise or lack thereof is the solution or reason for a weight issue is flat out wrong. If a person is inactive, has a slow metabolism..... the simple truth is they need less food.

The aforementioned is my opinion. I care not what you or anyone eats and am not trying to convince anyone what to eat or do. In my opinion it is much easier to not eat those 6 cookies than to eat them and then walk on a treadmill for an hour to try to work off those calories. I never condoned that not exercising is a good thing. But a person that cannot even walk or stand up is not able to exercise. Why are 40 year old people shopping on mobility scooters?

Control diet first, weight sheds off, energy increases, appetite diminishes, health is enhanced, activity increases.

People want an excuse that their poor health and obesity is not their fault. Like everything else in my philosophy I say take some responsibility for ones self.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Fri. Feb. 17, 2023 6:36 am

Judge for yourself what 4 days of diet can do.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 1:25 am

Turns people into asians ... seems to be doing OK..but not great..needs to exercise more. Much more.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 3:14 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 1:25 am
Turns people into asians ... seems to be doing OK..but not great..needs to exercise more. Much more.
I picked up a stationary bicycle put out for garbage. I am modifying the seat and motorizing it. I will sit her in it, strap her in with seat belts, lock her feet in stirrups, and turn that mother on for 6-8 hours per day. I am expecting her to do about 50 miles per day. I figure when I get her off the bike I will send her out to the field to pick some cotton.

Once she develops some strength and endurance, I plan to once again modify that garbage stationary bicycle by replacing the motor with a generator. I have high hopes. I expect her to pedal power my entire castle.

Return to “Health”