Cancer wasn’t enough

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 8:23 am

So many of you know I was diagnosed in early November with tongue and throat cancer. I started chemo and radiation treatment in early December. It’s been a rough road but I wasn’t prepared for what hit me last week. On Monday morning January 9th I was getting ready to go to my treatment at GBMC hospital, about 40 minutes away. Suddenly it was like a brick wall fell on me. Gasping for breath, sweating profusely from head to toe, dizzy and white as a sheet. My wife wanted to call 911 and get an ambulance. I told her I just needed a moment to catch my breath. Wrong! Things got worse and worse and I said you better call 911. So I was taken to the nearest hospital about 20 minutes away. I assumed at this point I was having a heart attack. So in the ER they took blood, did a CT scan, etc. and said you either had a heart attack or you have a pulmonary embolism. PE. So turns out I had a double PE or saddle embolism that blocked both pulmonary arteries. Docs said many don’t survive this type. I spent a week in the hospital. On morphine for 2 days just so I could breathe. Released on Friday 13th. I now have to give myself belly injections of blood thinner twice a day. Normally I would be on a pill blood thinner but something to do with the chemo I’m receiving requires the shots. So I lost a week of cancer treatment and am now scheduled to be done on February 9th.
Cancer sucks but the PE much worse! I don’t recommend it.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 8:27 am

Dude. That's a pisser. You must be one tough SOB. I wish you the best. Oh, since you have not been around, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 8:40 am

Terry, unfortunately when it rains, it pours----hang tough buddy--don't know how many times over the past 5 yrs Doc's have told me--"if it was anybody else, you'd be dead"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sooooo, I guess us tough old fckrs gotta stick together. Prayers continue your way my friend. :)

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 8:48 am

Im sorry for all your problems. Hang in there!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 10:18 am

Prayers sent, CK.

Paul

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 10:19 am

You've got to be shi@%$&#'n me. I mean,I realize complications can and do arise,but Christ's Sake,did You ever dodge a bullet... "Head Down,Plowing Into It,Steady On,Steady On,Mate"..

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 11:13 am

You are lucky you survived! Fixing one problem often causes another.

Hang in there.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 12:26 pm

Talk about a bitter pill. Prayers sent CK. Hang in there buddy!!

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 1:06 pm

Hey Terry…look on the b”right” side my friend. The good Lord above just sent you a clear message that it isn’t yet your time to go, my brother. That’s how I see it. What a blessing! Time to count your blessings and thank Him for sparing your life. I know you’re thankful. Rejoice and be glad brother…you just walked right straight through the valley of the shadow of death. Rejoice and be glad!

“That is what suffering does. It steadies you. You go through a time like that and you're all panicky; then the Lord stills the storm…” - R. Stedman

As soon as I read your post it has given me more hope for you and your cancer fight. My sincere hope and prayer for you my brother is that you will come through this battle with cancer with more hope than you’ve ever had. Hope is all we have, but it’s better than not having any hope. Jesus is that hope.

I believe everything in life, good or bad, happens for a reason. If we look hard enough and long enough…sometimes the looking can take years…even decades…we’ll find the reason…we can find the good that comes from the bad…we just have to look hard for it. The longer I live the more I am convinced of this.

I hope you don’t mind…
As I was studying your suffering (dwelling on your suffering and miserable situation) I was reminded of the Apostle Paul who we know said that we should rejoice in our suffering. I am convinced that no other character in the Bible suffered more for the cause of Christ than Apostle Paul did. Don’t get the wrong idea about what Paul meant. I went to look up a scripture for you and stumbled upon this explanation of the meaning of Paul’s suffering. Even if you’re not so inclined to read (or listen to the sermon) you might read (or listen) anyway…it might prove helpful and uplifting to you. It speaks directly to what I said above about finding the good that comes from the bad. “Your suffering has supreme value, if you search for it”.

I hope you find some value and hope in the words of this article and these songs…which I dedicate to you, your health and wellbeing, and your journey through life.

Anyone else reading this into the future, if you’re suffering, however that suffering may come…know that there is Hope…Jesus is that Hope. I also dedicate this article below and these songs to you as well.

Please take the time to read and listen to the words…consider them.

From the link below you can read or listen to the sermon…
https://www.raystedman.org/new-testament/romans/r ... -suffering
Rejoicing in Suffering
SERIES: FROM GUILT TO GLORY -- EXPLAINED
MAY 16, 1976
Author: Ray C. Stedman”

Perhaps you can find solace in the words of these songs as well.

With tears rolling down my face…I am thinking about you and praying for you, brother. No matter what is on the other side of that mountain…it’ll be worth it, so keep climbing.

You may not know me…you may not know Jesus…but my intent is you never forget either of us.
Last edited by Hoytman on Sun. Jan. 22, 2023 12:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 1:24 pm

Holy schnykeees!!! good to hear your still on this side of the grass with a double P.E. Plus chemo and radiation treatments, holy cow fella. Keep kickin ass Terry.

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 2:23 pm

you will make it thru this stay strong and prayers sent to you and yours !!!! take care .

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 7:03 pm

Wow, Cancer sucks. & the Embolism on top of that. Sorry to hear this.... it's s tough one. Hang in there & get well. Thoughts & prayers headed your way.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 7:34 pm

Wow, thats terrible news Terry. Glad you came through it. I hope to see you on the other side of the cancer treatment too.

The same thing that happened to one of the guys I work with. When he was in the hospital, the doctor came in and said "Your a lucky man. I normally only see these in the autopsy".

-Don

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 8:02 pm

Just a thought, maybe you should grab a couple mega million tickets.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 8:46 pm

Certain things ya can't buy your way out of W--just bein tough, fightin & NEVER given up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Health”