Polio

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Aug. 18, 2022 1:20 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Thu. Aug. 18, 2022 9:33 am
Pretty much parents discretion if I remember ( and that could be a crap shoot)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL I don't think this disease was transferrable.
That’s what I remember them telling my parents…”it’s your decision”.

That crap shoot works both ways too.

People forget that just because you received a shot that there is NO WAY to tell if the shot “took” for you or not.

Just in my small home town I have seen two examples of this where actual vaccines were given, not this deemed “a vaccine under emergency use”, and they didn’t work.

You me example was the mumps with a little girl. She had a shot early in life, still got the mumps. Got a shot a second shot the week she came down with the mumps…and get this…was sent DIRECTLY back to school the very next day. Why didn’t they quarantine her? Instead, they quarantined twice kids in the school who had no vaccines (one was my son) as well as sparking kids at other schools in the county to have to stay home. Heck, my son had already been exposed so why send him home for a month. He never did get it.

The other example was an elderly man (a personal friend of mine) who had the shingles 4 times with 3 shingles shots in-between…which never once stopped him from getting them. In fact, I think the shots made them worse for him each time.

So yep, it’s a crap shoot of you don’t take a shot, and even if you do.

Allergy shots are supposed to be a “vaccine” built especially for you through allergy testing. Biggest crock of crap and money racket I’ve ever seen…and my allergies are worse than ever…likely from the crap they injected me with as well as my original vaccines when I was young.

Get this…
If doctors were allowed to do what they’re trained to do, I know several right now who tell folks not to take any vaccines because they have better ways to treat patients now than years ago making the vaccines unnecessary “for much of the public”…key words…same with anti-biopics being used too often with too many people rather than allowing the immune systems time to fight it off naturally and strengthening the immune system as such.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Aug. 20, 2022 12:37 pm

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Aug. 20, 2022 2:28 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Thu. Aug. 18, 2022 1:20 pm
Get this…
If doctors were allowed to do what they’re trained to do, I know several right now who tell folks not to take any vaccines because they have better ways to treat patients now than years ago making the vaccines unnecessary “for much of the public”…key words…same with anti-biopics being used too often with too many people rather than allowing the immune systems time to fight it off naturally and strengthening the immune system as such.
There are no treatments for polio. Nothing. Vastly different than shingles and mumps, something that's around for a month or two. Paralysis from polio is forever.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Aug. 20, 2022 2:48 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Sat. Aug. 20, 2022 2:28 pm
There are no treatments for polio. Nothing. Vastly different than shingles and mumps, something that's around for a month or two. Paralysis from polio is forever.
Yup. It's the vaccine or nothing.

Old lady that owned this place contracted polio as a teenager. Wore leg braces and needed crutches for the rest of her life.

I still remember the pictures of kids in an "iron lung" machine that was the only thing that could make them breath. They were stuck in it and only able to look at things in a mirror,... for the rest of their lives.

Paul

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Sat. Aug. 20, 2022 4:51 pm

Paul,
Iron lungs were short term therapy. Maybe a month at most till the diaphragm recovered.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Aug. 20, 2022 5:23 pm

There's a guy in Texas that has spent 70 years in one. Wouldn't call that short term.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Aug. 20, 2022 5:36 pm

Heres a somewhat uplifting story about a man in an iron lung that supported himself renting tv's while living at the Mayo Clinic. My Dad used to visit him, as did a lot of people. A little over 2 minutes long.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Aug. 20, 2022 5:39 pm

Sure…My neighbor across the street where I used to live suffered with side effects of polio and still does.

The difference in what you are talking about and what I am talking about are vast differences apart. Covid isn’t anywhere near what polio was…and the Covid vaccines weren’t and still aren’t anywhere near as needed, safe, or effective, as polio vaccines. Not even close.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Aug. 20, 2022 6:42 pm

tsb wrote:
Sat. Aug. 20, 2022 4:51 pm
Paul,
Iron lungs were short term therapy. Maybe a month at most till the diaphragm recovered.
Sorry tsb , but they were not just, "short term therapy". It depended on what parts of the body were paralyzed. Many spent far more time in them than just a month.

https://nypost.com/2021/11/01/polio-paul-is-one-o ... iron-lung/

https://www.jhunewsletter.com/article/2018/04/the ... -for-polio

" ..................... Still, chilling scenes of hospital rooms lined with iron lungs, in some cases stacked on top of one another, often encasing children, remained present in the public’s mind. Some patients remained in an iron lung for weeks, others for years. ..................."

I'm old enough that I lived through the worst of the post war years epidemics until the vaccines came out when I was in elementary school. The highly contagiousness nature of polio and there being no treatments was one of the main reasons that in 1955 my parents moved us out of Brooklyn to the country. The post WWII era was a scary time for anyone living in a major city, especially with the baby boom of kids (my generation).

Paul

tsb

Post by tsb » Sat. Aug. 20, 2022 8:08 pm

You can make up any story you want but a majority of Polio patients that had diaphragm paralysis only needed the iron lungs for short periods of time. I was in the hospital during the polio outbreak. There were children in the sun room who were in iron lungs. They would even be taken out for periods of time to help exercise their muscles to prevent total atrophy. Did some severe cases remain dependent of breathing support ? Sure they did and some died but the majority recovered enough to live a full but maybe restricted life.

From the CDC
Poliovirus only infects people. It enters the body through the mouth. It spreads through:

Contact with the feces (poop) of an infected person
Droplets from a sneeze or cough of an infected person (less common)
You can get infected with poliovirus if:

You have picked up minute pieces of feces on your hands, and you touch your mouth.
You put in your mouth objects like toys that are contaminated with feces.
Last edited by tsb on Sat. Aug. 20, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Aug. 20, 2022 8:12 pm

And you can deny what you want. That doesn't make those many that were stuck years in an iron lung never existed.

Paul

tsb

Post by tsb » Sat. Aug. 20, 2022 8:22 pm

I don't deny anything. Most survived. Most showed no symptoms. Some died. Some remained paralyzed ( FDR ). Most people learned how to avoid it and it was declining by the time the vacs were developed. If it gets into the Monkey Pox
population it will spread again and quickly.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Aug. 21, 2022 12:53 pm

tsb wrote:
Sat. Aug. 20, 2022 8:22 pm
… If it gets into the Monkey Pox
population it will spread again and quickly.
‘Moral’ of that story is: Packing fudge is bad for your health. :lol:

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Aug. 21, 2022 1:49 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Sun. Aug. 21, 2022 12:53 pm
‘Moral’ of that story is: Packing fudge is bad for your health. :lol:
There's a song for that.

Ice cubes "Check yo self" uncut.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Aug. 21, 2022 3:47 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Sun. Aug. 21, 2022 1:49 pm
There's a song for that.

Ice cubes "Check yo self" uncut.
:lol: Never heard it, “butt” the title is funny.

Return to “Health”