Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Sun. Oct. 18, 2020 10:19 am

Physical exercise, Weight loss, and Ice packs

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Oct. 18, 2020 11:10 am

Aleve (sp) which is naproxen sodium, over the counter. Same stuff Dr's prescribe only at higher doses. Yes cherry juice, and drink more water.

The Aleve, I'll let you research how much to take as what I took may not work or everyone. Its not something you want to mix with other medications or booze.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Oct. 18, 2020 11:39 am

Oh yeah... the cherry juice is a miracle cure for me. Upon the first tinge of discomfort in my foot I get 2 quarts of real tart cherry juice. I'll drink a full quart each day, two days in a row.

Other than that, drink a lot of water to keep the uric acid in your blood diluted. And quit nicotine for better circulation.

I've had gout in the past so bad it kept me awake at night and every step felt like a spike being driven down thru my big toe knucle. These things I shared above have pretty much cured me without medial intervention.

Benny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker lite- house. Reading- garage
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Benny » Sun. Oct. 18, 2020 11:49 am

Thanks guy’s, going to give the cherry juice a try. This always seems to flare up when the Doc’ closed, hit my left ankle and right wrist pretty hard.

Benny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker lite- house. Reading- garage
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Benny » Sun. Oct. 18, 2020 11:57 am

Yeah L last flare up had me on crutches for 5days , don’t want that again!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Oct. 18, 2020 12:05 pm

A search using "Gout home remedies" brought up quite a lot. Many with the cherry juice and quite a few involving apple cider vinegar. Others include making sure to get magnesium in your diet.

A friend with gout keeps it under control with his doctor prescribed avoiding caffeine, alcohol, and chocolate. Not sure which is worse, doing without those or the living with the pain? He's certainly not as happy as he used to be. ;)

Paul

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Oct. 19, 2020 10:53 am

Avoid asparagus and kale as well. Elderly friend, passed on now, used to have lumps on his elbows the size of tennis balls that the doctor said was gout. He drank lots of tart cherry juice and swore by it.

I miss that old bird. He was a great man and veteran. My fishing/hunting friend, fellow bird dog man and waterfowler, and my gardening friend. Hope to see you in heaven John Holmes...you were a great friend...as well as your dear wife Marla.

theo

Post by theo » Mon. Oct. 19, 2020 12:58 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sun. Oct. 18, 2020 12:05 pm
A search using "Gout home remedies" brought up quite a lot. Many with the cherry juice and quite a few involving apple cider vinegar. Others include making sure to get magnesium in your diet.

A friend with gout keeps it under control with his doctor prescribed avoiding caffeine, alcohol, and chocolate. Not sure which is worse, doing without those or the living with the pain? He's certainly not as happy as he used to be. ;)

Paul
Not sure if this is true or not ( sometime i will have to google it ) but every time i feel a little froggie and want to take a jump the wife says that will flare up my gout ! I wonder if she's just pulling my leg ???????? :mrgreen:

Bocephous
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III

Post by Bocephous » Sat. Jan. 16, 2021 9:17 am

I believe that fructose is linked with gout attacks. I quit having OJ with breakfast every morning and quit getting occasional attacks of gout. I only have a beer or glass of wine a couple times a month, but I eat a lot of red meat and haven't had a problem in a while. Working out (staying active) and drinking plenty of water undoubtedly help, too.

Return to “Health”