Coronavirus and farmers

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Sat. Jul. 04, 2020 6:53 pm

coalder wrote:
Sat. Jul. 04, 2020 6:43 pm
China also demands that logs sent to them from The US be fumigated & in a sealed fumigated container. Seems they don't want their own bugs back.!! WTF
Jim
That is reciprocal across the board with every country we trade with. All unfinished wood products must be heat treated to a specific temperature and length of time. That has been in effect at least for 10 years. Used to be able to get firewood cheap from Canada until those rules were implemented.

bambooboy
Baseburners & Antiques: imperial ringgold
Other Heating: woodstock soapstone,comfort,fisher,federal,fairy oak

Post by bambooboy » Sat. Jul. 04, 2020 7:07 pm

One of the biggest problems for farmers is the restaurants,schools,daycares & who know what was shut down during the pandemic.the same with paper products.the system is set for the retail grocery market & a separate system for wholesale to the retailers.everybody at home overwhelmed the retail stores & in most states could not go to the wholesalers for their products.It may never happen again but the states should put a system in place just in case,can't see it costing anything to put in place just in case.

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Sun. Jul. 05, 2020 7:05 am

Nationally, as far as government involvement is concerned, it would be disastrous for states to get involved with the supply chain issue. Individual states would have a different approach and no congruence across the board for rules and regulations; of course that's if states decided to get involved at all. At least at the federal level, involvement would have consistent rules and regulations for everyone to follow. But, do we really want more government involvement at all? Government involvement, at all levels, have failed miserably across the supply chain spectrum during this pandemic.

Supplying commercial grade products to the regular consumer market, should be left to the businesses in the consumer market to address. Commercial and consumer market suppliers need to work together to supply products to where the need is identified and develop a system to address it. Those two seperate supply chains are better suited to come up with a solution based on market driven need and boost their financial stability through that process. If commercial corporations are hurting due to lack of sales, it is up to them to get their product out to an alternative market to decrease loss. Conversely, the consumer corporate market needs to seek alternatives to gain more product based on consumer demand.

The government, whether federal or state, is not a business and it is apparent that neither understand the operation of the supply chain. Even the Defense Protection Act hasn't addressed the supply chain issue effectively. The federal government and state governments have competed against each other, because each entity believes the other is responsible in a national emergency. That issue will never be addressed under the current environment of operation.

What the federal government can do is encourage innovation by commercial and consumer supply chains to work toward a solution. Bring leadership from both realms together and develop a nationl strategy to address the concerns we are experiencing. From that, policy development and guidance can be implemented, mapping out best practices to utilize during any crisis that could potentially effect the supply chain.

Personally, I don't see any of the aforementioned occurring. We will continue with more of the same; bail out corporate America at every turn, without addressing the issue. Who pays for it....the tax payer and consumer.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Sep. 23, 2021 7:27 pm

Other then hopefully the upcoming elections!!!

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Thu. Sep. 23, 2021 10:04 pm

How did I miss this thread. I thought everyone on this forum was a Doctor, turns out we're all farmers. Damn, I gotta keep up.

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Fri. Sep. 24, 2021 6:10 pm

I had missed it also until it came up in "new".
I'm actually glad I missed it, much of what I read would have had me jamming the keyboard too hard.
I grew up on a dairy farm, my grandfather started it, my father bough it, then 2 of my brothers did.
Then one of them got out and the other quit milking cows 15 years ago and switched to beef.
And now one of my nephews is starting to buy into the farm.
I have worked part time on the farm after my other job many years and even now at over 70 I still do.
Just finished installing a hydraulic flow loop on a JD forage Harvester so a CIH tractor would work well on it.
Some farmers may be rich in assets if they have been fruggle all their lives, but they certainly aren't idle rich.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Sep. 24, 2021 6:52 pm

That about covers the whole kit & kaboodle L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Return to “Health”