Drinking the kool-aid

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Apr. 29, 2020 12:13 pm

I grew up next to Plattsburgh AFB. I don't remember feeling scared...until they announced the base was closing and no one knew how the local economy would recover.

As for the hole in the ozone, someone once told me the case against R12 refrigerant was touted as being about the environment, but the reality was that R12 was largely manufactured by DuPont, and other companies stood to make a fortune if R12 was phased out for other products. No idea of that is true or not, but figured I would throw it out there.

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Wed. Apr. 29, 2020 5:07 pm

Plattsburgh AFB inherited all of Loring AFB B-52's when they closed Loring. Sadly it was only like 1 year later they closed Plattsburgh.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Apr. 30, 2020 10:37 am

Otis is where they train...
Now the Coast Guard uses it...
Then they added The Drone Division...
Pave Paws too...
https://www.nytimes.com/1978/04/13/archives/cape- ... study.html

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Apr. 30, 2020 12:47 pm

johnjoseph wrote:
Wed. Apr. 29, 2020 5:07 pm
Plattsburgh AFB inherited all of Loring AFB B-52's when they closed Loring. Sadly it was only like 1 year later they closed Plattsburgh.

They also closed Griffiths in Rome NY when they pulled the B52s out of there. But then later opened it again for other military work.

All part of lots of base closings all across the country in the past few decades. Fort Ord, one of the biggest Army posts is no more. Some of the buildings are being used for civilian businesses and such, but most are demolished.

Paul
Last edited by Sunny Boy on Thu. Apr. 30, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Apr. 30, 2020 12:52 pm

johnjoseph wrote:
Wed. Apr. 29, 2020 5:07 pm
Sad indeed. The amount of $$ that base put into the local area was tough to comprehend. It has been almost 25 years since they lowered the flag and I still don't think the area has completely recovered. Meanwhile the people in VT cry about the noise of the F35's at the VT Air National Guard...clearly they never heard a KC135 take off. Our farm was right in the flight path of a lot of jets that took off at Plattsburgh AFB. The rumble was just part of life.
Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Apr. 28, 2020 4:55 pm

And they often leave out the biggest impact on earth, solar activity. Whatever we do it is miniscule compared to what one burp on the surface of the sun does to Earth. It's like standing in the middle of a hurricane and saying the house fell down because I sneezed. :lol:

Paul
The sun certainly plays a big part, probably a lot bigger than we understand. We simply do not have enough data to really know what it does long term.

Here is some interesting reading for you: https://www.lunarplanner.com/SolarCycles.html

I keep track of the ~11 year solar cycle due to its impact on radio propagation, but clearly there are longer cycles as well.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Apr. 30, 2020 1:13 pm

Actually we have a lot of the Sun's long term data and it's effect on Earth, stored in many things, that have been well studied for a long time. Things such as deep glacier and polar ice layers. Our oldest trees, the ocean floors, and many other things.

But the glo-bull warming mob totally ignore that mountain of solar activity data.

And if you want to see areas hard hit by Government cut backs,.. in the early to mid 1970's Long Island lost over 150K jobs with the cut backs of Military and Aerospace programs ending. I remember seeing the California Governor on the evening news complaining about the entire State of Calif. losing 100K jobs. Just Nassau County in central LI. lost about that many.

When I moved Upstate I was glad to see I had lots of small machine shops to help with my restoration work. Come to find out every one of them moved up here from LI back in the 70's because they couldn't afford to stay on LI with the hundreds of machine shops that subcontracted to Grumman, Fairchild/Republic, Sperry, and the dozens of other big Government contractors closing up. It was reported that for every job lost at big contractors like Grumman, ten other jobs were lost in the area that sub contracted to the big contractors, or supported their workers.

Paul
Last edited by Sunny Boy on Thu. Apr. 30, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Apr. 30, 2020 1:26 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Apr. 30, 2020 1:13 pm
Actually we have a lot of the Sun's long term data and it's effect on Earth stored in many things, that have been well studied for a long time. Things such as deep glacier and polar ice layers. Our oldest trees, the ocean floors, and many other things.

But the glo-bull warming mob totally ignore that mountain of solar activity data.

Paul
Yes, I agree we have a lot of info in that regard - I just view it as a much different data set than what we have for the last 100 years or so.

As for ignoring the solar data...there is no money to be made if climate change is out of our control. People tend to believe what they hear on the news instead of picking at it and see if there is a different side.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Apr. 30, 2020 1:31 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Apr. 30, 2020 1:26 pm
Yes, I agree we have a lot of info in that regard - I just view it as a much different data set than what we have for the last 100 years or so.

As for ignoring the solar data...there is no money to be made if climate change is out of our control. People tend to believe what they hear on the news instead of picking at it and see if there is a different side.
Yup! Like I say, ya gotta be smart enough to know which end of the horse your getting your info from. ;)

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Thu. Apr. 30, 2020 1:34 pm

New use for Kool aid.

https://www.wikihow.com/Dye-Hair-with-Kool-Aid

Make sure your curtains match your drapes when finished.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Apr. 30, 2020 4:51 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Thu. Apr. 30, 2020 1:34 pm
New use for Kool aid.

https://www.wikihow.com/Dye-Hair-with-Kool-Aid

Make sure your curtains match your drapes when finished.
Grandma always used black walnut hulls to make dye, hair dye that is, in the fall of the year.

Not sure when they shrunk Camp Perry on Lake Erie, but that place used to be massive compared to today. Not sure if they built David-Besse in the ‘50’s or not.

Even on ground that Camp Perry used to own, there still plenty of ammo bunkers that you can see from the highway.

I imagine that was a happening place before and after WWII.

Dave 1234
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1948 International boiler, EFM S-20 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buck,

Post by Dave 1234 » Sat. May. 02, 2020 9:39 am

Total deaths counted in name of cov19 4 times higher , BLUE state Gov. Vs. RED state Gov.

:o what's up with that !

Dave

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 02, 2020 9:50 am

Hoytman wrote:
Thu. Apr. 30, 2020 4:51 pm
Grandma always used black walnut hulls to make dye, hair dye that is, in the fall of the year.

Not sure when they shrunk Camp Perry on Lake Erie, but that place used to be massive compared to today. Not sure if they built David-Besse in the ‘50’s or not.

Even on ground that Camp Perry used to own, there still plenty of ammo bunkers that you can see from the highway.

I imagine that was a happening place before and after WWII.
Not sure about hair dye, but the black walnut hulls all over my yard sure can stain shoes and floors. And the darned hulls last a lot longer than just the Fall. I still have lots of them under the trees. The squirrels sit up on my grill cover chewing off the black gooey hull to get to the nut and leave the pieces, which then stain the cover. :x

While many other bases have been shut down, Camp Perry is still an active base and considered one of the top places in the World for competition shooting. https://ong.ohio.gov/campperry/index.html

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 02, 2020 10:00 am

Dave 1234 wrote:
Sat. May. 02, 2020 9:39 am
Total deaths counted in name of cov19 4 times higher , BLUE state Gov. Vs. RED state Gov.

:o what's up with that !

Dave

For the answer, look at what Blue States and cities were like when this virus first got started. Especially their budget deficits. ;)

In NYS, a few years ago, our Governor tried to raid the millions in NY State's conservation fund to help make the budget short fall seem not so bad. That's Federal Law money from the 1937 Pittman Robertson Act, paid entirely from a Federal tax on all hunting and shooting equipment and supplies, that by Fed law can ONLY be used by the States for nature conservation work. Hunter groups threatened to take him to court so he backed down.

Cuomo's Safe Act gun control laws were more about getting more tax revenue than about stopping gun violence, which it did nothing to decrease in NYS.

Anyone who thinks Cuomo and NYC Mayor De Blasio, are not pushing up NYS's Covid19 death numbers to get more Fed money, are very naive about NYS politics.

Paul

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. May. 02, 2020 10:51 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sat. May. 02, 2020 9:50 am
Not sure about hair dye, but the black walnut hulls all over my yard sure can stain shoes and floors. And the darned hulls last a lot longer than just the Fall. I still have lots of them under the trees. The squirrels sit up on my grill cover chewing off the black gooey hull to get to the nut and leave the pieces, which then stain the cover. :x

While many other bases have been shut down, Camp Perry is still an active base and considered one of the top places in the World for competition shooting. https://ong.ohio.gov/campperry/index.html

Paul
Yep. We have a fish camp within about 3 miles of there.

Return to “Health”