Post Corona Virus Plans.

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Wed. Apr. 15, 2020 2:29 pm

I guess I'm staying on my current path. I do like the natural gas talk and idea of it, but it's not available in my locale.

bambooboy
Baseburners & Antiques: imperial ringgold
Other Heating: woodstock soapstone,comfort,fisher,federal,fairy oak

Post by bambooboy » Wed. Apr. 15, 2020 2:36 pm

Heres the website for your govt check to help with your plans. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Wed. Apr. 15, 2020 3:20 pm

bambooboy wrote:
Wed. Apr. 15, 2020 2:36 pm
Heres the website for your govt check to help with your plans. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments
Got mine today...6 tons of coal purchased already😊

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Apr. 15, 2020 3:58 pm

Had natural gas (called street gas by many there) for stove and dryer when I lived on LI. Wasn't any cheaper than fuel oil for heating.

No street gas available here, just propane, which is very expensive in this area. Ironic because in the 1800's there was a local gas plant and street pipes feeding the houses and businesses before electricity came here. The gas pipe from the street is still sticking through the foundation where it was cut off long ago, and there's gas light iron pipes still in the walls and ceilings.

Paul

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Apr. 24, 2020 6:11 am

With four kids, the one thing Katie and I like to do to solidify our marriage is go out for dinner once and awhile. We have not done that for awhile due to Black Swan, so we would like to do that once the restaurants open back up.

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Fri. Apr. 24, 2020 3:35 pm

Yea, that is the thing I am missing the most. Going to the dinner for coffee and conversation and observing people .
Then the same thing some evenings go out for a bite and a beer and talk with and watch people.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Fri. Apr. 24, 2020 4:15 pm

I'll be honest. I love the drive to and from work. So few cars are on the road. But, they also seem to be driving even faster than usual.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Apr. 24, 2020 4:48 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:
Fri. Apr. 24, 2020 4:15 pm
I'll be honest. I love the drive to and from work. So few cars are on the road. But, they also seem to be driving even faster than usual.
I don't miss my commute. The road is just as rough, and there are just as many trucks. Between not ruining the front end on my car in the holes and saving over $50 per week in gas, I am pretty content working at home.

Dave 1234
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1948 International boiler, EFM S-20 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buck,

Post by Dave 1234 » Sat. Apr. 25, 2020 12:14 pm

Be ready for the next mind f**k.

Climate change did'nt work out, even after ''pigtail Gretta'' scolded the sheep.

Covid, sorta worked, ppl , pass on every day, so this is a ''hi-test'' way to murder.

But, this is not their end game play.

xackley

Post by xackley » Sat. Apr. 25, 2020 1:42 pm

100_3370.JPG
.JPG | 411.2KB | 100_3370.JPG
As I pretty much cancelled the idea of a month on the road at the end of May, I am hopeful we can travel cross country in September. I doubt many in the north west would be happy to see NYS plates right now.
My wife and I have done 4 month long trips in our dodge caravan. We can have it set up for car camping with some milk crates, plywood and mattress with about an hours work. This is a picture of our old 2005 rusted out van we drove around for 40K miles. I bought a new caravan, but so far family and pet commitments have made it hard for more than a week before my wife would want to be home.

September is probably a better plan for Idaho and Canadian Rockies, anyway.

As far as preparing for future disasters, so far I haven't found anything we are lacking. I did have them fill up my coal bin just in case there is a supply problem next fall. As long as the electric keeps flowing I really can't imagine it not being easy to survive in the US. The big down side to my property is there is no good ground or space to plant a garden, clay and hill. But I do have enough land that I could take a deer if it was necessary.

I am worried for those still young enough to have to find their next job. I no longer have that problem. Hopefully this will cause the country to develop some manufacturing jobs in the near future.

Don

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Apr. 25, 2020 1:57 pm

Don,
Terrace gardens have worked very well on hill slopes for thousands of years,.... if the soil is ok there.

Paul

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Apr. 27, 2020 6:20 am

I am looking forward to going to real-work. I have been home for almost 5 years now after retiring, but then I go back to work, and I am there ONE DAY, and they send everyone home due to Black Swan. I will go into work on some days, just for something to do, but this week they are paving the parking lot, so I will stay home.

Everyone loves the time off, but me...I am ready to go to work!

It will be difficult I know, getting back into a routine where my only days off are weekends, holidays and vacation days, but with 72 kids to teach, I am sure Monday-Friday will go by quickly.

Return to “Health”