Damn it Glen--I thought that was my answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 8:22 am

cabinover wrote:
Thu. Jul. 30, 2020 9:23 pm
My wife is subject to regular tests ... And VT is at the bottom of the pile for Covid compared to other states.
That's probably why VT is at the bottom for COVID -- because with lots of testing they can contact-trace and isolate infected and exposed people, so they don't spread it to others. Ideal would be a self-test you could do at home every day or two, with results in a few minutes. Catch it before it spreads.
cabinover wrote:
Thu. Jul. 30, 2020 9:23 pm
... tests showed in Manchester, VT (where Julie works now) some 54 people test positive. State comes in and does "their" tests and find only 4 of those 54 were actually positive. Who's lying now?
The same thing happened in Maine. All campers/staff at a summer camp were tested and 19 were positive. Scared the *censored* out of everybody. The state immediately retested them and all were negative. I don't think anybody is intentionally lying, I think the problem is those quick 15-minute saliva tests are good for large screenings but they give some false positives, then you re-test those positives with the fancier tests. Better false positives than false negatives.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 8:32 am

R, if they're inaccurate, why would they be good for anything? Also, self testing daily at home, who the hell is going to pay for that? Just curious.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 2:32 pm

How are you going to isolate people and enforce it....let alone during a time when they're defunding the enforcers? There's not even enough people to do the contact tracing.

IF you require them all to stay home, how the heck are you going to have enough people left to take food to those who are sick. See where this is going? Nowhere...that's where...it can't be done on that large a scale. Period! It's a pipe dream to think it can be done. Even Fauci said they can't keep up with contact tracing...he knows it's not feasible on a much larger scale.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 5:33 pm

rberq wrote:
Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 8:22 am
That's probably why VT is at the bottom for COVID -- because with lots of testing they can contact-trace and isolate infected and exposed people, so they don't spread it to others. Ideal would be a self-test you could do at home every day or two, with results in a few minutes. Catch it before it spreads.

The same thing happened in Maine. All campers/staff at a summer camp were tested and 19 were positive. Scared the *censored* out of everybody. The state immediately retested them and all were negative. I don't think anybody is intentionally lying, I think the problem is those quick 15-minute saliva tests are good for large screenings but they give some false positives, then you re-test those positives with the fancier tests. Better false positives than false negatives.
I'd be willing to bet it's more that we already social distance other than the Burlington/Williston areas. That's why the outbreak we had was there in the elderly. And what does testing do to stop this? Nothing. Contact tracing is only recent so that doesn't explain it to me.

And all tests in VT are deep in the nasal cavity, not the saliva tests. Again, why test if you aren't using the same criteria and tests? Spinning wheels that only go along with morbidity counts, none of which are worth a crap if all one does is guess.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 5:34 pm

And how do we know there aren't a pile of false negatives with the tests also? What percentage is close enough?

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 6:31 pm

cabinover wrote:
Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 5:34 pm
And how do we know there aren't a pile of false negatives with the tests also? What percentage is close enough?
I don't know. But whatever Vermont is doing, keep doing it. There's always the tendency, after the remedy works, to wonder whether things would have been OK without the remedy.

A number the Maine CDC looks at is the positivity rate, which is right around 1 percent. That is, you do 100 tests and find 1 person positive. One reaction is, wow, we did 99 tests for nothing. The better interpretation is, we are doing enough tests to catch most cases. And once they are caught, hopefully they will stay isolated so they won't spread it.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 7:17 pm

rberq wrote:
Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 6:31 pm
I don't know. But whatever Vermont is doing, keep doing it. There's always the tendency, after the remedy works, to wonder whether things would have been OK without the remedy.

A number the Maine CDC looks at is the positivity rate, which is right around 1 percent. That is, you do 100 tests and find 1 person positive. One reaction is, wow, we did 99 tests for nothing. The better interpretation is, we are doing enough tests to catch most cases. And once they are caught, hopefully they will stay isolated so they won't spread it.
When that number gets up close to 5% they know they are missing a lot of cases. That is why my state made masks manditory, because we were close to that number so trying to slow it down (if it works). Your doing real good at 1%.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 7:42 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news5cleveland.c ... f_amp=true

Look at these numbers for Ohio.

-Over a million tested total.
-65,500+ positive tests ... total
-for positivity rate of 6.7% of the million+ tested.

This percentage is based of total testing numbers over the last 6-7 months. What they are not giving you is the percentage of the total “current” cases.

Who cares about those that had it and got over it. It’s the current positive cases that count and the percentage would likely be .00_% or even .000_%.

Now doesn’t that make you scratch your head?

Better put on your mask, stay at home, kill our economy, and ____________ (fill in the blank).

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 7:52 pm

Not sure where 6 or 7 months are coming from...4.5 months would be more in line with when testing started. The article does state that 44,663 recovered out of the 65592 positives.
Last edited by johnjoseph on Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 7:53 pm

Test results back already---"NOT DETECTED" Soooo, on with surgery Wed AM.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 8:32 pm

Good luck Fred..

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 8:52 pm

Best wishes and good luck Fred.

Kevin

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 9:24 pm

Let it be the last surgery!

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 10:01 pm

Thanx guys. Last on lft foot HOPEFULLY---what they did on my rgt foot is all screwed up also--if this new surgeon does good on lft--on to rgt!!!!

Return to “Health”