sinus surgery

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 1:33 pm

So an ear, nose and throat doc I went to last week has determined via CT scan that my sinuses are full of polyps. I'm scheduled to have them removed in early February. Sounds like not much fun, especially the recuperation. Anyone had this before and have a story to share?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 1:37 pm

My father-in-law has had this procedure performed twice, about 10 years apart.. He was pretty swollen/sore following the procedure, but the relief must have been worth it, or we would not have had it performed the second time.

bruker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Wehrle Placid

Post by bruker » Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 7:30 pm

I had something similar done about 28 years ago when I was in my late 20's. The recuperation was a bit uncomfortable for a week or so but it was worth worth it. Prior to the surgery I had 2 or 3 sinus infections a year and ever since then I have maybe 2 or 3 total. You'll be glad you had it done!

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 9:51 pm

Breathing is Fundamental! Anything that allows You to not being a Mouthbreather is Good! Sounds like Your Turbinates have run amok,CK! While I've never had the Roto-Rooter Man Navigate my Sinus Cavities,I can figure out why You probably should get this Clean Out performed! The worst part of it is that it's kinda Elective. You have to decide to have it done. Think about it sorta like this..: As We Age,*censored* Happens,Stacks Up And Accumulates.. To Hell with it,Go ahead and Clean Out that Garage that is Your Schnozz!! Let Us know! Remember,if You could make it through the Junebug Incident,You can do this standin' on Your Head,Grampa!!

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 11:08 am

CK

I had an operation done on my Sinuses at the beginning of October, but perhaps a much different procedure than yours. I didn’t have an issue with polyps but it was narrow passages to the actual sinus cavities. Things were not draining properly for quite a few years and as a result I would get sinus infections one right after the other. I basically carried a cold all Winter long and was growing apprehensive about being on antibiotics more often than not.

My procedure involved numbing the passageways with localized novacaine and then they went up in with a ballon and inflated it, basically a controlled breaking of my nose. Thus, the passageways were permanently open again and could drain again.

The first few hours were pure hell, I don’t want to scare you but it was awful. Blood draining out by the bucketfuls and the gas numbed my throat so that I was not able to swallow. Several times on the ride home I was convinced I was gonna suffocate. By 9:00 that evening things had greatly improved but was still coughing up blood.

They told me I could go back to my normal routine the next day and to me that translated that I could go back to work... I forget that my “normal” routine is NOT normal to many others. Now here is a real good idea, after sinus surgery let’s get up at 4 AM and put 400 miles on a tri-axle in the Alleghenies. What an idiot... by the end of the day I nearly collapsed upon arrival at the basement door.

As with most things, the blood stopped after a few days and things improved greatly and quickly thereafter. I can actually breathe through my nose these days and that’s a huge improvement itself. Last month I caught a terrible cold but was able to fight it off on my own without antibiotics... something I never could have done before the surgery.

So not to make a long post knowing that your surgery is different but I think you could expect some of the same side effects. You will do fine and will be glad that it was done in the end. I pray you have a successful surgery and a very quick recovery!

Hambden Bob

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 11:32 am

Nice Job,CJ! Terry has always struck me as the kind of Guy,here on the Coal Board,that would rather see what may be coming at him,rather than receive a Surprise Snow Shovel Full right in the face. Me,Hell... I'm just flat out Crazy! I always feel alot more comfortable being rigged up for the worst,and then step back down into Cozy Kooshy Land if the worst never became a Reality!

Terry,I know that You will do Your Flat Out Best to give Yourself a Chance to Keep Being Around to Enjoy that Family of Yours...

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Jan. 02, 2019 8:57 am

I appreciate the story. I've watched quite a few youtube videos of the surgery and people who are recuperating from it. I know it's going to be a bitch. I have a fairly high tolerance for pain but I have a low tolerance for not being able to breathe. I'll be glad when its over.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Jan. 02, 2019 9:23 am

Best to get it over with, you'll be glad you did after the recuperation!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Jan. 02, 2019 10:49 am

A friend's mother had polyps in her nose. They treated her twice a month with cocaine.

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 7:15 am

coaledsweat wrote:
Wed. Jan. 02, 2019 10:49 am
A friend's mother had polyps in her nose. They treated her twice a month with cocaine.
So despite repeated requests, my Dr. will not treat me with cocaine. Therefore I'm off to surgery this morning. :no1:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 8:34 am

Prayers sent for a successful operation and speedy recovery, CK.

Paul,

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 11:42 am

Good luck CoalKirk!

-Don

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 1:31 pm

coalkirk wrote:
Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 7:15 am
So despite repeated requests, my Dr. will not treat me with cocaine. Therefore I'm off to surgery this morning. :no1:
I've never tried cocaine but it does smell good.

Hambden Bob

Post by Hambden Bob » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 1:42 pm

Stay With It,And Treat Yourself Well In Order To Get Well CK!! Let Us know!

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 4:36 pm

I hope it goes well CK, you are in my prayers this evening.

Return to “Health”