Cpap Machines

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Dec. 26, 2016 5:00 pm

I've just been told I need to use a CPAP machine for light to moderate sleep apnea. I've been checking them out on line - what components are a must have; Heated Humidifier, Auto-Adjusting and Pressure Relief, quiet. Please share any thoughts you may have on various aspects or Models. Thanks, Lisa

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Mon. Dec. 26, 2016 5:14 pm

How did you find that out ? Did you go in for a sleep study ? If so what was that like, I may have to do that myself...

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Dec. 26, 2016 5:19 pm

They do a plastic staple on the roof of the mouth too. Saves all that CPAP grief. Check with the doc to see if you are a candidate for it.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Dec. 26, 2016 6:10 pm

Madame Fogs :

An ENT prescribing after reviewing the results of a Sleep Study has been the only way I've been set up with a CPAP Unit. Known as DME(Durable Medical Equipment),it's furnished through a Company that handles such Medical Devices with Certified Repiratory Therapists administering mask or nasal pillows units. I've been on these handy lil' units since 1996,and they've literally saved my Life. It was determined that Dad died from complications of Arterial (Aortic Arch) Disection due to being Apneac...... Feel free to PM me if You need more detailed info.... :yes:

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Dec. 26, 2016 6:12 pm

No prescription no cpap. Cannot be sold or bought w/o.

Plenty of consumables need frequent reordered/replaced...everything except actual machine/air pump has a replacement cycle.

Can be set up for auto-reorder-shipped and then billed to insurance co.

Some peeps cannot get accustomed to wearing these. :o
Last edited by McGiever on Mon. Dec. 26, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Dec. 26, 2016 6:20 pm

grumpy wrote:How did you find that out ? Did you go in for a sleep study ? If so what was that like, I may have to do that myself...

Yeah, I did a sleep study. You show up about 9 or 10pm. They put you in what's a cheap motel room and put all EEG receivers along the back of your head, above your ears, on top of your head and on either side of your jaws and do an EEG. They also put receivers on your legs outside the knees and at your elbows. Then they plug everything in and monitor you while you sleep for a couple of hours.

They know how long it takes you to fall asleep, how you breath, if you stop breathing and if you have restless leg syndrome or hot flashes. After they monitored me for a couple of hours they put a CPAP on me and I slept 4 more hours. They then compared the first 2 hours with that of sleep under the CPAP and that was it.

I just did it last Friday so I haven't spoken to the Doctor yet but the technicain told me I had stopped breathing a couple of times and snored a lot. That equals light to moderate sleep apnea. Yeah me. Truth be told I didn't notice any difference either right in the morning or later that day.

My next step is to get a prescription for the CPAP and start using it at least 80% of my sleeping time. I'll have to provide documentation to the DOT in order to keep my CDL. Not much I can do about it, it is what it is.

That's why I'm looking for anyone who can tell me about what I want on a CPAP machine. I do know I want a quiet one and I guess one that "ramps" but beyond that I know nothing. I'd like to know something before I have to decide on one. Thanks, Lisa

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Dec. 26, 2016 6:26 pm

They had a RN come to the house to fit and set everything up.

Would recommend the humidifier feature...dry air is not very good.

Philips makes mine.

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Dec. 26, 2016 6:31 pm

Hambden Bob wrote:Madame Fogs :

An ENT prescribing after reviewing the results of a Sleep Study has been the only way I've been set up with a CPAP Unit. Known as DME(Durable Medical Equipment),it's furnished through a Company that handles such Medical Devices with Certified Repiratory Therapists administering mask or nasal pillows units. I've been on these handy lil' units since 1996,and they've literally saved my Life. It was determined that Dad died from complications of Arterial (Aortic Arch) Disection due to being Apneac...... Feel free to PM me if You need more detailed info.... :yes:
The GP sent me to a Sleep Center. That doctor will give me the prescription and direct me to a source for the CPAP, mask and what not. I just don't know enough to even ask good questions. Is a humidifier worth the cost? How about one that "ramps?" I understand that to be a gradual increase in air pressure as you fall asleep until you reach the full prescribed air pressure. Does it make that much difference? What is the best add on that you've found? Thanks Lisa

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Mon. Dec. 26, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks for the reply Lisa, thats what scars (sp?) me, how do you sleep in a strange place with all that hooked up to you, I toss and turn 100 times before I fall asleep..

I can't help you but my father uses one and it made a big difference for him, I would have to say once you get used to it your life will be much better.. And I know about the DOT stuff... btw..

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Dec. 26, 2016 6:37 pm

McGiever wrote:They had a RN come to the house to fit and set everything up.

Would recommend the humidifier feature...dry air is not very good.

Philips makes mine.
Thanks, I was thinking a humidifier would make things better. The air in the house is very dry this time of year. I think the Sleep Center I went to will have me spend another night while they show me how to set my machine up. There was another guy there when I had my sleep study done that seemed to be doing that. I'll look at the Phillips brand. I think my insurance will help me offset the cost of the machine. It's a new world for me. Thanks, Lisa

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Dec. 26, 2016 6:50 pm

grumpy wrote:Thanks for the reply Lisa, thats what scars (sp?) me, how do you sleep in a strange place with all that hooked up to you, I toss and turn 100 times before I fall asleep..
The technicians know that. The wires give you plenty of space to toss and turn. My initial 2 hour observation period didn't start until after I had been asleep for a while. I made sure I was tired before I went. I did extra activity during the day. I don't drink caffeine but the recommendation was none of that after lunch. I also didn't take a nap, not that I usually do but I made sure not to. The technicians said it took me 20 mins to fall asleep. That's about normal for me. I also took my own pillow and a night light. All in all it was painless.

There really isn't anything to be bothered over. It's over sooner then you'd think. You'll do fine. Lisa

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Dec. 26, 2016 6:55 pm

coaledsweat wrote:They do a plastic staple on the roof of the mouth too. Saves all that CPAP grief. Check with the doc to see if you are a candidate for it.

I haven't heard of that but I'll ask. It can't hurt. Lisa

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Dec. 26, 2016 7:31 pm

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Mon. Dec. 26, 2016 7:33 pm

I use a AirSense 10 that has the ramp & humidifier features, I also have a Phillips System one Sleepmapper that has the same features. I never used the Phillips, it's a Insurance thing , because the VA sent me to a local hospital I got the AirSence first then the VA sent a technician with the other the other. They have chip cards that I take in with me & it gives them a history of my sleep patterns, so far so good the humidifier is a good feature & remember to use distilled water. Both are similar & quiet but I only used the Phillips when it was sent here for fitting & if I travel I'll take it, the masks & hoses fit either & I get new every 6 months.
The VA was totally free for me & I had a monthly co-pay for one year for the other & then it was mine. I haven't noticed much but my wife says I'm sleeping sounder but still hardly ever get into the REM sleep but some is better than nothing. I started with the small mask & then went to the larger nose & mouth one (which works best for me) they claim to be coming out with new things but I haven't seen anything reasonable yet. Good luck!

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Dec. 26, 2016 8:40 pm

lowfog01 wrote:what components are a must have; Heated Humidifier, Auto-Adjusting and Pressure Relief, quiet.
Heated humidifier and auto-adjusting are musts, in my opinion. I use a Respironics RemStar Auto M-Series, with integrated humidifier, which has performed without a hitch for about 10 years.

Don’t believe the crap about only the provider being able to set up the machine. Be sure you get the setup procedures from the supplier (or online) because providers and sleep-study people can be way way off. My machine provides a quick readout of apnea/hypopnea frequency; it took a few weeks of experimenting to find the lowest pressure at which the apneas were also low, and the auto feature boosts the base setting a bit when it detects apneas. If you don’t have auto-adjust then the machine pressure must be set for worst-case, which may be much higher than average need and therefore very uncomfortable.
coaledsweat wrote:They do a plastic staple on the roof of the mouth too. Saves all that CPAP grief.
Tempting but I read so many unhappy results I didn’t pursue it.
McGiever wrote:Plenty of consumables need frequent reordered/replaced...
Foam intake filter on mine gets very dusty, replacement price can be ridiculous. I bought a package of replacements, but found I can just vacuum the filter and I’ve been using the same one for several years, replacement package is still in the dresser. I put it inside a standard kitchen sieve and vacuum from the other side of the sieve, or else just hold real tight so it doesn’t disappear down the vac.
lowfog01 wrote:I do know I want a quiet one and I guess one that "ramps" but beyond that I know nothing.
Mine has a ramp feature, but once I adjusted to using CPAP I turned it off. Low priority in my opinion.
lowfog01 wrote:... doctor will give me the prescription and direct me to a source for the CPAP, mask and what not ... What is the best add on that you've found?
My doctor (pulmonologist) did not know squat about machines or masks. I knew more than he did. He also wanted me to get the inside of my nose reamed out, said there was nothing to it – I told him that depends which end of the knife you are on. Didn’t have it done. Best add-on by far was the heated humidifier – had an unheated one at first which was useless. Use distilled water in the humidifier, cheap from the supermarket, saves a lot of de-scaling.
lowfog01 wrote:I think my insurance will help me offset the cost of the machine.
I had to mail my prescription to http://www.cpap.com. They don’t take insurance (at least not when I got mine) but their cash price was LOWER than getting it through my insurance and paying 40% coinsurance. Actual numbers as I recall were cash price $500; insurance price $1,500 of which my 40% would be $600. Lots of hanky panky going on there between supplier and insurer. Don’t get me started. Pharmacy guy told me HIS cash price would also be $500, but because the pharmacy knew I had insurance he would be fired if he gave me the cash price. It’s not any better now that I’m on Medicare, more hanky panky just a little different. I buy everything from cpap.com, very happy with them.
lowfog01 wrote:
coaledsweat wrote:They do a plastic staple on the roof of the mouth.

It can't hurt.
I'm told it does. Hurt. :o

Hardest thing for me was finding a mask that worked. I’m a mouth breather (see nose reaming above) so I use a mask that covers both nose and mouth. Also have a beard. Went through several brands/styles before I found a good mask – very different from one person to the next. My brother doesn’t have my defects and gets by with something called nasal pillows, sort of like ear bud headphones except you stick them in your nose, I guess.

Good luck. Feel free to come back with more questions.

Return to “Health”