Cpap Machines

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Thu. May. 04, 2017 7:27 pm

creek44 wrote:Well, the results of my at home sleep study indicate that I do indeed have sleep apnea of a significant nature. Going for a ResMed 10 Autoset with all the heaters, humidifiers, bells, and whistles. We shall see how it goes.
That's the machine I have, it works well and is quiet. There are several youtube videos that show how to use and change the settings. Check out https://myair.resmed.com/Default.aspx. That's how I monitor how well I'm using the machine. It was helpful in the beginning

Something to be aware of is that some medications - decongestants mostly - will compound the "dry mouth" you may experience even with the humidifier. I had to stop an allergy medication. OraCoat makes a product for dry mouth which has worked well with me. It's called Xylimelts, It's over the counter in the dental health aisle but you may have to go to a couple of different stores to find it. They are "long lasting adhering discs" which you place between your teeth and cheek. The label specifically says it can be used with CPAP machines. The box says to use two overnight but for me one provides all night relief.

I'm glad to hear you were able to get things worked out. I hope the CPAP will make a big difference in your daily life. Take care, Lisa

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 6:43 pm

New treatment. Big bucks. $20K for device, $20K for surgery, $20K when it’s time to change the battery.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sleep-apnea-inspire- ... lutionary/

https://www.inspiresleep.com/

creek44
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by creek44 » Wed. Jan. 24, 2018 12:06 am

I saw that when it aired this morning. It appears to be a life saver for some folks. I think I'll pass. I always have to ask myself "What could possibly go wrong? In the meantime, I am getting used to my cpap and I feel it has made a difference. It was a matter of the right mask and the right settings through trial and error. It was a long and frustrating process. I am going to stick with it.

rberq

Post by rberq » Wed. Jan. 24, 2018 8:59 am

creek44 wrote:
Wed. Jan. 24, 2018 12:06 am
I am getting used to my cpap and I feel it has made a difference. It was a matter of the right mask and the right settings through trial and error. It was a long and frustrating process. I am going to stick with it.
The right mask is key. Pressure settings are a little easier with an auto-adjusting machine. Medical and clinical people may have good intentions but I found they often were ignorant and recommended things that just didn't work.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Jan. 24, 2018 12:16 pm

I've been using a cpap (actually an apap) since October. My sleep study showed I stopped breathing 48 times an hour and my oxygen dipped into the 60's. After using the machine it was reduced to about 8 times an hour. Now that I've used it for a few months I think that one of the problems is I must breathe through my mouth because I wake up in the night and my mouth is SO dry. My machine has a humidifier. Someone suggested I get a chin strap that will keep my mouth from opening while asleep. Anyone use one?

As for the new miracle implant device, I'm sure Medicare will pay for it, right?

Vbull
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Reading Juanita
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Vbull » Wed. Jan. 24, 2018 5:29 pm

I've heard a mouthpiece available at a drug store helps with the dry mouth.
I started with a full face and did not like it. I know someone in the business and they gave me several different types of masks to try.
I ended up with a nasal mask and that is what is working for me.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Jan. 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Chin strap...
5 dollar...

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Jan. 25, 2018 9:45 pm

https://www.google.com/search?q=cpap+chin+strap&o ... e&ie=UTF-8

Hope the link works,and subsequently helps,CK ! You should be able to find one that flies for You,Terry !

Remember,Jacob Marley,formerly of the firm Scrooge and Marley,ended up using a tattered piece of cloth tied over the top of the noggin' to keep that jaw closed. These fancy, new fangled types oughta make You alot more stylish at nap time. Do remember that night time drymouth can also be caused by certain medications You may be taking. Check with Your Doc. If You keep losing Your ability to retain Your Saliva,Your chances of tooth decay and gum problems goes right up through the roof. It seems that Saliva and its' composition is a natural barrier to hold off alot of the oral bacteria that attack the 'Ye Olde Mouth" . There are products,such as Biotene,and believe it or not,a Japanese produced,Godzilla approved oral gel called GC Drymouth Gel that works wonders. See Your Tooth Puller and ask him about it,or You may be able to obtain it off the net. Any questions,PM me and We'll Talk. How do I know and vouch for this stuff,You may ask ? I've been a CPAP User since 1996,and have been successfully combatting the drymouth for atleast 12 years........

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 1:02 pm

Just got my apap this morning...had an anxiety attack before I got home which required medication and time. I'm feeling only a little better at the present, but this attack should be over soon.

Been trying to get a CPAP for over a year and with anxiety couldn't finish the 2nd test. Had to fight with sleep center doctors, and ultimately had to have my doctor write a note exempting me from the 2nd test because of general anxiety disorder.

Anyway, got the machine this morning...APAP...and looking forward to using it to rid myself of this anxiety, I hope, and to lower my bp. They said I had sever apnea...stop breathing 107 times an hour.

I need your prayers folks. Health has been horrible as of late, but I never cease to look around because I know there are those far worse off than I am.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 1:35 pm

Best of luck to you Hoytman, the sleep studies are a PIA even if you don't get anxiety attacks. Not to discourage you but I use mine religiously & don't see much more energy wise & still don't get much sleep but I don't snore & my wife says I don't stop breathing anymore which I never noticed anyhow. Our problems were different so it hopefully will help you much more.
+

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 1:48 pm

Thank!
I do snore, have trouble going to sleep usually...like 3-3:30am type trouble...but when I do go to sleep I can sleep well so long as my sinus's aren't an issue.

Personally, I've been of the mind-set that it's all malarchy...and a money game. As of late with my issues getting worse I've decided it's worth a try...mainly because of talking to two types of CPAP/APAP users...those that use them and hate them because of the mask, and those that absolutely love them and say they've changed their lives. That is, with those I've talked to that use them, there seems to be no middle ground...it's a love or hate type of thing. Luckily for me I have close people around that use them and rave about them, so that's encouraging.

Vbull
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Reading Juanita
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Vbull » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 4:00 pm

At first I didn't like the machine or more to the point, I didn't like the full face mask. I was fortunate to know someone in the the medical device business that gave me several different types of masks to try. I ended up using a nose only mask and it completely changed my view of these machines.
Has it been life changing? No. But I no longer have to fight off falling asleep while driving long distances my job sometimes required. I can't say I'm much more rested now than before the machine, but my BP has gone down along with a reduced dose of BP medicine. So, it was worth it in my case. Just give it enough time to see an improvement.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 4:01 pm

Once things get squared away with my wife health wise I will probably go for another study, the old Doc finally retired & they have a new young one that seems to know his cpap (pun intended). The mask doesn't bother me all that much but being wired up for the study drives me nuts, maybe now that I'm use to the mask it might be better. As I said hope it works out for you, I'm tired of being tired!

rberq

Post by rberq » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 4:18 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 1:48 pm
... hate them because of the mask ...
Finding the right mask is key to making it work. Need one that seals well and doesn't make your face or nose sore.

Be patient. Using CPAP is a severe PITA at first. Once you get used to it, it is just a PITA but not severe.
Last edited by rberq on Thu. Nov. 29, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 9:39 pm

Full mask...
Sleep study done at home, mail back...
The sleep that I get with the mask for 6 hrs...
Is better than 7 or 8 without the mask...
If I fall a sleep without the mask feel like crap all day...
Not tired during the day with a CPAP night...

Return to “Health”