Dreaded Calls

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Fri. Feb. 12, 2016 9:24 pm

Got a phone call tonite, my mom was at eye doctors..prep aide did her thing, including eye (dialatorals)drops. Dr goes in to do exam.... looks at her face, see's her one side of face is drooping. Because of eye drops couldn't do light reaction test to eyes for stroke. My brother took her to eye Drs for routine exam.... he told my brother to take her to ER, hospital on hill just behind eye doctors office. Mom has said she hasn't been feeling well past few weeks. So shes admitted for observation and tests.How o long..???? But I know when I had my stroke 8 years ago... its not just an over night stay for a complete, full blown, scans, mris, etc etc to be done. So.... off to NJ in Am.... to see Mom... shes 86 years old. I am NOT gonnna not see her. my dad was in Cali.. when he died of cancer... didn't kow until he was about 2 weeks out of hospice. And didn't get to see him. 25 years we didn't see each other.... issues or whatever. Not again!! One never knows for sure when the candle of life will go out.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Feb. 12, 2016 9:40 pm

We will be praying for you & your mother
Definitely try hard to get there to see her,drive carefully & safely

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Feb. 12, 2016 9:59 pm

May God be with you and your family. Be with your Mom and I hope all goes as well as it can at times like this. We where all with my Mom when she passed and it was a roller coaster. My Dad died at the hospital why my Mom had to evacuate due to incoming hurricanes in Florida. It was a tough phone call from her because Dad passed without her, but some things happen that you cannot do anything about. I was there just the week before, and his last days where not what I had planned either.
Be safe and be careful, be there for her.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Fri. Feb. 12, 2016 10:10 pm

Prayers sent.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Fri. Feb. 12, 2016 10:14 pm

I hope you make it and are able to speak with her, I was not able to ever speak with my father again.....never really got over it. My brother and I helped roll him over on the living rm floor for the Dr.....an old family friend.....He was only 60. Sure could have used him a good 20 years more..... :(

Kevin

Lu47Dan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Sears circulator air tight stove.
Other Heating: Crown 115,000 BTU oil fired boiler(house) Weil Mclain 150,000BTU oil fired boiler(Shop)

Post by Lu47Dan » Sat. Feb. 13, 2016 12:53 am

wilder, my dad passed Monday evening here at home, he had what his doctor thinks was a form of leukemia, he was 90 yrs old, on dialysis and in declining health. He had been relatively good health up until about three weeks ago, when he started to lose his ability to walk with his walker. He got worse and was acting strange so I took him to the ER, after a week of tests and treatments and more problems the decision to bring him home and put him into Hospice care was made and he lasted about a week before passing on.
Sometimes no matter what we do it is out of our hands, Go see your mom and have a talk with her.
I hope your mom gets better.
Dan.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Feb. 13, 2016 6:09 am

Sorry to hear that your Mom is ill. Be with her as best you can, be it in thoughts or in person. Her knowledge of your love is as important as you being next to her. It's tough being a human. Sometimes we can't control the path that life takes & it hurts. Bless you for doing your best.

Dan.... may your Dad rest in peace. You were lucky to be by him in his last hours.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sat. Feb. 13, 2016 7:17 am

Sorry to hear. Strokes suck. My mom has been recovering from a stroke about a year and a half ago. The brain is a complicated and amazing piece of equipment we were given. In my moms case there was some brain loss but it is amazing how the other parts will try to compensate. I hope your mom's recovery goes well. Hang in there.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Feb. 13, 2016 7:23 am

Sorry to hear that Wilder, we'll keep you guy In our prayers.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 13, 2016 7:24 am

Prayers go with ya Bill. Been there done that. Stick with her my friend. We only got one Mom.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Sat. Feb. 13, 2016 8:09 am

Wildman,

I am happy for you that you are listening to your little voice and going to see her. The Walden family will be hoping for the best for you and yours.....

Jeff
Shara
Grace
Trevor

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sat. Feb. 13, 2016 8:18 am

Wishing for the best for your mother wilder. 2016 seems to be off to a bad start for many, a sign of getting along in age I guess, something we will all face!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Feb. 13, 2016 8:19 am

Go, ... we'll pray.

Paul

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Sat. Apr. 02, 2016 11:42 pm

Moms health has not improved. rediagnosed as mytenia gravis.... HUH? Just doesn't figure...no symptoms of it before... but to have and progress in 2 weeks to where she can't swallow, and further worsening of it to barely able to breathe? She was readmitted to hospital for a few days then transferred to another which has mre neurologist that specialize with the illness. shes been in this hospital now for 2 weeks or so, been on tube ventalation, But due to conditions no feed peg could be put in. Only IV nutrients,barely sustainable. So neurologists did plasmaphareis to filter her blood, to alluviate chemical imbalances so signals from brain to muscles work together,... to no avail. neurologit says maybe a 40% chance for any improvements if any. Moms been heavily sedated for comfort ans such... thursday my two sisters asked if sedation could be lifted for a few minutes to talk to mom about prognosis, and her Advance life Directives. Mom can only nod head yes/no to reply. To continue ventaliton, she will a trach... Moms ADRS say no mechanical means if life as she accustom to can not be possible with them. She answered no Trach. She hasn't had any nursishment for almost 4 weeks until IV one was started 4 days ago, lost over 100 pounds.Sisters asked if she had enough.. she shook head yes, asked if she wanted all support removed other than IV for sedation and any pain meds if needed, she shook her head yes.
So tomorrow we go down to hopefully talk to mom after intubations are removed. She hasn't lost her mind(sharp as a tack!)... her body just can't maintain supporting life. So i'm off work for a few days next week... Hopefully her wishes for peace won't take long.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Apr. 02, 2016 11:58 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours in this difficult time.

Return to “Health”