Weight Loss Adventure

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Jun. 27, 2015 9:24 am

On a mission this yr to loose 50 lbs. plus, my weight has climbed to an astonishing 281 along with the other health issues so I thought if I log it and start a thread others can join in. I figured by doing this I will stay focused and track my progress. My blood pressure has increased as well and now it is being controlled with medicine, one of the goals is to be free of prescription drugs although I realize as I age somethings are inevitable but it is my responsibility to do the best for me and my family. I have dropped 14 lbs in the last 2 months so anything is possible. The most recent cause was my foot surgery 2 winters ago and the inactivity of being laid off the last 4 winters. I've added a job in our local hospital so I will now have constant employment. I will track my weekly progress here for inspiration and reflection, feel free to join in regardless if you're in the same boat or not...just don't tip the canoe :P
I started at 281...now 267

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sat. Jun. 27, 2015 10:01 am

Your new adventure will yield MANY benefits to your longevity and comfort. Hips, knees, ankles, feet and your back will say 'Thanks' every day. Back when folks thought the 'Apple tummy' was a sign of success, and now working in a hospital, it is an opportunity to set an example, and/or become part of a healthy lifestyle for personal reasons. Win, win, win. Enjoy your summer, and your family! :D

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Jun. 27, 2015 10:11 am

whistlenut wrote:Your new adventure will yield MANY benefits to your longevity and comfort. Hips, knees, ankles, feet and your back will say 'Thanks' every day. Back when folks thought the 'Apple tummy' was a sign of success, and now working in a hospital, it is an opportunity to set an example, and/or become part of a healthy lifestyle for personal reasons. Win, win, win. Enjoy your summer, and your family! :D
Thanks Doug, I realize my line of work can contribute to my expansion :roll: but working at the hospital has given me membership to a fitness center in town so I can't avoid the obvious!...or mirrors.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Jun. 27, 2015 10:57 am

You are suffering from Dunlaps disease, which is when your belly dunlaps over your belt.

I would urge you to take it slow, one pound a week. That means just one slice of bread or its equivalent less and 100 calories of additional exercise per day which the new job will probably supply. By going slowly you will accommodate yourself to the new regimen without much pain and will be able to maintain it as a new way of life.

Losing too fast can effect your health and if too severe a diet it is too easy to abandon it. You are looking for a permanent solution, not a quick meltdown and then put it all back again.

Don't stress magic foods but instead eat a wide variety for best nutrition.

I wish you all the best in this trial.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Jun. 27, 2015 11:00 am

I see McDs is offering bigger burgers.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jun. 27, 2015 11:05 am

Its harder to lose weight when you enjoy cooking, and love eating it. Saying this to a chef may sound silly, but stop eating in restaurants, at least on a regular basis. In their goal to make good tasting food, it usually has the ingredients of obesity, unless your idea of a good feast is a salad bar. I ate fast food and restaurant crap daily for many years, but not anymore. You will do much better by making your own meals, and stop snacking! :D

Good luck and I hope you meet every goal!

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sat. Jun. 27, 2015 11:09 am

It is like working at the 'Chicken Ranch'....you have to maintain control....oops, bad example, I suppose...... People spend billions on getting the weight off and more in surgery to make it go away, but EACH of us controls what we eat, and each of us suffers the consequences of that lack of control or benefits from its successes. Slow and steady ALWAYS wins the race, so go easy on the reduction, and it will last....don't try to do a 90 day 50 lb reduction...1 or two pounds a week, sometimes '0' pounds a week. Glad it is happening for you, and any others who are so inclined. :dancing: :up:
I know of a 'Thousand Pound Man' 33, locally, and the ambulance was a 'Ramp Truck', and the EMTs had to chain saw a piece of exterior wall out to move him. No chopper service to acute care, they brought in a giant military chopper from Michigan to do the lift...took a couple days to arrange. The cost? Never revealed...he is now down to 465 lbs. No, you can't make this up, it was for real. Lots of sober faces, no laughing or jokes. The USAF chopper was on a 'training mission'...... THAT situation changed many lives, hopefully for the better.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Jun. 27, 2015 3:13 pm

Hey Mike, I admire your effort to take off some weight. I could stand to do the same. I'm at 237 and don't wanna start replacing my wardrobe. Seems like everything is getting kinda snug lol.

A good rule of thumb is instead of counting calories, make the calories count. In other words, be picky about eating stuff that is good for you. And drink lots of water. It really doesn't take much to get things going the right direction. A small change over time, like Franco said :)

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Jun. 27, 2015 4:56 pm

Good luck! and stick with it. I have a couple friends that lost quite a bit of weight, it's all attitude, good nutrition and exercise. :)

I've taken up running in the past year, 3-6+ miles a week when I can get out. I know it's not much, but still helps the body. I've lost a little of weight, not overweight, but not ideal weight. I did my first 5K the other day for this year with my company at our local Corporate challenge and finished 119/300+ I was very happy, there were some extremely fast runners. I was very happy with my time tho.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Sat. Jun. 27, 2015 5:01 pm

I suggest you educate yourself about the way our bodies can lose weight. Understanding the medical science is important in determining the long term outcome. For many yo-yo dieting becomes the norm and the weight loss becomes a illusive dream. The biology of how the body uses our fat reserves is important. It's just not as simple as calories in vs. energy calories expended. You can't exercise yourself to your desired weight. It just doesn't work. For success you must put your body in a state where it's using your body fat for energy to sustain itself. This means dieting but in a special way which puts the body in ketosis. See: http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/what-is-ketosis

It's important to be medically supervised while in ketosis, and take the proper supplements to assure your other body nutrition needs are met. The Ideal Protein plan uses this method. See: http://www.idealprotein.com/ca/ideal-protein-weig ... oss-method. It's not the only diet plan that uses the ketosis/protein method but I've had very good long term success with it. All are somewhat expensive, but certainly less expensive than the medical costs of being overweight. Good Luck

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Jun. 27, 2015 6:14 pm

Keep It Sensible Simple. At 5' 10.5" my max was at 192#,this occurred in the winter time,the last few yrs I have held about 180-185 during the summer,185-190 during the winter. Last spring I decided to eat less & dropped to 175, my lazy liver & kidneys slow me down drastically over winter & I was back up to 185,currently at 180.No special diet or special counting, I eat lots more veggies then I used to . I still eat mashed potatoes & gravy with fried chicken,just eat smaller portions. I do not eat "low fat " ,i am not trying to starve myself,i do not want my body to think I am starving & start storing fat to prevent starvation. To lose weight one must eat at least 3 meals per day,cut the sugar &&&&& NO DIET SODA OR OTHER DIET PRODUCTS !!!! DIET crap with the rat poison sweetener will actually make one gain weight,besides being bad for ones health.No sense to making weight loss complicated which in turn makes many folks give up. Use more willpower,eat good healthy foods in smaller portions & do not skip any meals. If you get hungry between meals,eat some protein food, a small piece of meat or small piece of cheese,etc. The best,single thing to do for losing weight is a commitment to NO FOOD in the 3 hrs before going to bed...... NO midnite snacks,no ice cream right b4 going to bed,guaranteed easiest way to lose a few pounds. :)

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Jun. 27, 2015 9:31 pm

I can't thank you guys enough... I'll make an exception for coalnewbie, your suggestions are excellent and all are valid. My initial changes have been, no 4 slices of toast and a half stick of butter, I hate margarine and dropped the soda but we do like zero calorie natural flavored seltzer water must look into that one! More walking and at a more brisk pace for the cardio.
Monday I'm going to the fitness center for my first, (in a long time, work out and swim. If I use the fitness center 8 times/month the hospital pays the monthly membership :)
My nemesis is the late night eating as mentioned. I can't eat a meal while cooking in the restaurant, the smells and little tastes ward off the hunger until I get home and the stomach starts to growl and I can easily have a couple sandwiches and watch the boob tube...time for either replacement items or make time to eat at work some how.
I'm thinking of writing down everything I eat just to see if makes me stop and think about it.
I love food my all time favorite food is fresh, homemade, out of the oven bread! I bake sourdough bread, french bread, rustic breads, and challah bread and believe me I can make a half a loaf disappear making sauce!...maronna mia :cry2:

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Jun. 27, 2015 10:37 pm

Don't try to be a hero and go overboard and fail. Keep most of your practices but just a bit less. Try some olive oil instead of butter on some of that delicious bread. If you are not hungry do not eat just because it is time to, smaller portions will satisfy you after awhile. Sometimes it is easier to eat nothing rather than a small bit which just stimulates appetite more.

One pound a week is 53 pounds a year which should satisfy you. If you fall off the wagon do not be discouraged and you should reward yourself once in awhile.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Jun. 28, 2015 9:13 am

You'd be surprised how much crap is in your colon weighing you down :)

Eat 35-40 grams of fiber and 2-3 liters of water every day and you'll need a cigarette after a restroom visit :eek2:

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Jun. 28, 2015 9:40 am

scalabro wrote:You'd be surprised how much crap is in your colon weighing you down :)

Eat 35-40 grams of fiber and 2-3 liters of water every day and you'll need a cigarette after a restroom visit :eek2:
Most folks over 40 yrs old are not eliminating enough food waste from their system. Eat prunes,more veggies,more salads,less highly processed food,eat healthy.!!

Return to “Health”