Weight Loss Adventure

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Oct. 11, 2015 10:29 am

KLook, my lazy kidneys are likely a side benefit of having Lyme disease,just 1 of the many benefits.We have chosen to go with a natural treatment,herbal stuff to aid the kidneys with their work.The results are amazing as my kidneys are in the best shape they've been in for at least 2 yrs. Of course I am still dealing with the energy draining benefit of Lyme too.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Oct. 11, 2015 10:59 am

Taking a stab at Yanche's question I would say the difference is in how the calories are determined. A calorie being a measure of heat it will be different when used in the body as a form of low temperature burning utilizing a catalyst rather than the method used in a lab. This would make the lab result erroneous since the lab uses a method differing from that of the body.

I think Larry answered the question though as meant.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sun. Oct. 11, 2015 9:24 pm

Thanks Windy, I have been bitten and treated with antibiotics some years back. I don't think my overall feeling poor and bad sleep is Lyme as I ran 3 guys into submission on the ball court today. Still, I am going to be tested again. Something is just not right, and most would not complain if they were as agile and quick as I am at 55.
Hope the natural treatments continue to work for you.

Kevin

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Oct. 11, 2015 9:45 pm

KLook , Lyme is something that one never gets rid of,it can be put into "remission", but any trauma or stress in ones life can awaken it in all its fury. Some folks have a good enough immune system capable of keeping the Lyme in check. My system obviously needs extra help.Sudden weight loss or gain can be symptoms of Lyme too.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Mon. Oct. 12, 2015 11:06 pm

Yanche wrote: OK now for a little teaser... What's the difference between a food calorie and a physics calorie? A physics calorie is the amount of energy need to raise 1 gram of water 1 deg C. What the hell does this have to do with food? I'll let a few post some guesses or opinions. I was curious and found the answer. Along the way, I was surprised how many registered nutritionist I asked didn't know. To be fair the answer was in their first year text book that they misplaced or long ago forgot about.
The food calorie story....

The method used for calculation of the energy in foods is called the Atwater system. Developed in the late 19th century by Wilbur Atwater at Weslayan University. He was a professor of chemistry and wanted to know how much energy there was is food. So he measured it. It's remarkable what he did. He fed humans food and measured how much work they could do. They peddled a bicycle connected to a generator producing electrical energy. But the human also breaths, a significant amount of that food energy is used for breathing. So he invented a respiration calorimeter, a room in which the bicycle was housed. By measuring the breathing output of the human and the electric power generated he could calculate the energy in various foods. See the photo below of the room (photo take from a USDA public document). To a chemist (also physists and engineers) energy is measured in calories (metric system). So it was natural for Atwater to classify foods by calories. Think of it this way, water is heated to make steam, steam runs the steam engine, the engine does work. In the metric system we would use calories not BTU's the describe the amount. The convention calories has struck even though the US doesn't use the metric system. It's also true that food calories are really 1000 times larger. Correctly written with a capital C.

Atwater also measured All the output of his human test subjects. Yes the pee and poop too. Converted the output to energy. Found there was lots of other output when eating beans. :-) His original late 1800's paper is here: http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/IND43645383/PDF

Now you know the full story behind food calories. A century or so is rather a small amount of time to really understand a particular science topic. Newtonian physics had been around since the 17th century, it's well understood. We are still learning food science and how our bodies really react to the food we eat.

Attachments

Atwater_Lab1.jpg
.JPG | 126.6KB | Atwater_Lab1.jpg

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Nov. 24, 2015 9:49 pm

:alone: 176# this a/m,i was hoping to drop to 175 b4 winter when I usually pick up to 10# more till spring. So how did the OP do up to now ? b4 you start adding a few with Thanksgiving & the Christmas meals ?

Return to “Health”