Foot Issues . Suggestions?

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Thu. May. 21, 2015 3:28 pm

so I figured this would be a good forum to talk to you guys about this and see what suggestions you may have .

I have what I believe to be overpronation but here's the issue : the official way to solve this problem is to put insouls or buy special shoes . But these orthapedic solutions cause the problem to be even worse with my feet. I have an arch when I'm looking at my feet off the ground but as soon as I step on my feet the arch collapses and the side of my foot bulges . So with these insouls and shoes they always put the extra hard support where the arch is causing my feet to be painful as all the pressure goes to where my arch is .

My question is does anyone have any other options they think ? If I walk bear footed or run barefoot then my feet seem to be ok but all of these products to help my feet end up hurting them. I went to a paediatrist in 2013 and I bought $350 insouls that were supposed to help but I couldn't fit them in but two pairs of shoes I owned and he most important was my work boots which I couldn't fit them in and my foot comfortably.

I really don't know who to go to or where to start . Everyone is telling me to get these supports with giant rolled arches and motion control shoes but those all seem to make it worse .

labman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman mk II
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by labman » Thu. May. 21, 2015 3:47 pm

As someone that has suffered for 30+ years with foot problems, I suggest you find a GOOD doctor. Try looking at an orthopedic surgeon, like my local one that has a podiatrist on staff. That way you have other options to consider.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2

Post by Smokeyja » Thu. May. 21, 2015 3:55 pm

labman wrote:As someone that has suffered for 30+ years with foot problems, I suggest you find a GOOD doctor. Try looking at an orthopedic surgeon, like my local one that has a podiatrist on staff. That way you have other options to consider.
That is true . Maybe I will call the orthopedic surgeon and see if they have a recommendation. I'm having trouble standing up for even short periods of time at work now and I'm always having to sit down often because of my feet and I'm only 33 . I can't imagine later down the road .

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Thu. May. 21, 2015 4:00 pm

Sorry too hear of this issue. ..it's been an issue for me as well since I was in the military. ...at 45 I still have not found a solution. ...

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Thu. May. 21, 2015 4:36 pm

johnjoseph wrote:Sorry too hear of this issue. ..it's been an issue for me as well since I was in the military. ...at 45 I still have not found a solution. ...
My issue started after boot camp in the military when I was 22 . But as the older I get the worse it seems to get . It will get better for a time and then hit me hard and last a while.

Whatever info I find I will be sure to pass it your way. I am trying avoid surgery at all cost .

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Thu. May. 21, 2015 4:42 pm

Smokeyja wrote:
johnjoseph wrote:Sorry too hear of this issue. ..it's been an issue for me as well since I was in the military. ...at 45 I still have not found a solution. ...
My issue started after boot camp in the military when I was 22 . But as the older I get the worse it seems to get . It will get better for a time and then hit me hard and last a while.

Whatever info I find I will be sure to pass it your way. I am trying avoid surgery at all cost .
The biggest problem I have is boots..through the six years in the military and my current job they cause alot of my issues. ...being bare foot seems to be the answer. ..lol

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. May. 21, 2015 4:59 pm

You can walk or run barefoot just fine, but not with shoes. It then follows that some aspect of a shoe is a problem. A shoe has a stiff sole that does not allow the foot to flex easily, especially when new. A tennis type sneaker is very flexible and easy to try. The word shoe means footwear that comes up to and maybe a bit above the ankle. An oxford ends below the ankle. One or the other might be better. You have probably already tried different footwear, but it is finding out exactly why a shoe bothers you and barefoot doesn't.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Thu. May. 21, 2015 5:20 pm

franco b wrote:You can walk or run barefoot just fine, but not with shoes. It then follows that some aspect of a shoe is a problem. A shoe has a stiff sole that does not allow the foot to flex easily, especially when new. A tennis type sneaker is very flexible and easy to try. The word shoe means footwear that comes up to and maybe a bit above the ankle. An oxford ends below the ankle. One or the other might be better. You have probably already tried different footwear, but it is finding out exactly why a shoe bothers you and barefoot doesn't.
I will take a photo and show you or possibly a video . You will understand exactly what I mean if you don't mind seeing my foot lol.
johnjoseph wrote: The biggest problem I have is boots..through the six years in the military and my current job they cause alot of my issues. ...being bare foot seems to be the answer. ..lol
I have to wear safety toe boots every day and boots fit my feet better than any shoes out there . They give good ankle support . The problem I have is once my foot applies pressure it spreads out wider than the soul and all the pressure bears down on the arch area .

I've spent a lot of money in boots and insouls over the years . I've started drawing what design boot/shoe I think would work best .

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. May. 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Take a look at Earth shoes. Whatever shoe is comfortable you can always externally apply a steel toe that you make, for use at work.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Thu. May. 21, 2015 5:59 pm

So are you saying you have fallen arches aka, flat feet? Ive always had flat feet and all Ive ever had any luck with is extra wide boots. and some times if Im on concrete for extended periods Ill wear an ankle support; not for the ankle but the thing helps support your foot so it doesnt squish out as bad. Kinda like support hose for varicose veins in your legs. They are $10 so its worth A try......

Waldo

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. May. 21, 2015 6:06 pm

I wear extra wide shoes, a little too long, with no arch. A good pair of sandals can't be beat for me, but I did find 2 kinds that fit me with protective toe, Sketchers work shoes, and reebok work shoes. I like the reebok better but they cost more. Not that either will work for you but they works for me. I'm flat footed and have a few problems.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Thu. May. 21, 2015 6:19 pm

Have you thought about having someone make you your shoes. You know a real cobbler. Here's one from NY - http://customcobbler.net/ - maybe there is someone local to you that can help you. Other than that I don't have a clue where to send you. Good luck, Lisa

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Thu. May. 21, 2015 8:09 pm

waldo lemieux wrote:So are you saying you have fallen arches aka, flat feet? Ive always had flat feet and all Ive ever had any luck with is extra wide boots. and some times if Im on concrete for extended periods Ill wear an ankle support; not for the ankle but the thing helps support your foot so it doesnt squish out as bad. Kinda like support hose for varicose veins in your legs. They are $10 so its worth A try......

Waldo
Any suggestions on the ankle supports you wear ?
And yes I have flat feet .
lowfog01 wrote:Have you thought about having someone make you your shoes. You know a real cobbler. Here's one from NY - http://customcobbler.net/ - maybe there is someone local to you that can help you. Other than that I don't have a clue where to send you. Good luck, Lisa
I've thought of that but haven't really searched and I think it's a good idea so I'm going to search a little harder . I would love to sit and meet with a cobbler and see what they can do for me . God Knows I've spent enough money on shoes that don't fit me the way I want them too.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Thu. May. 21, 2015 8:10 pm

image.jpg

.JPG | 164.5KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 127.3KB | image.jpg
Well there is my ugly left foot. The bulging part is circled in red . The left foot gets the most weight I guess as I'm slightly taller on my left side .
Last edited by Smokeyja on Thu. May. 21, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Thu. May. 21, 2015 8:13 pm

Consider exercises for flat feet. Its amazing what proper stretching and muscle building can do. Try searching for exercise's for flat feet .
Example
http://www.boldsky.com/health/diet-fitness/2011/e ... 80911.html

Return to “Health”