Power of Attorney for My Mother

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Feb. 17, 2015 10:39 pm

You're More Than Welcome,RD33 ! You've earned It ! I'm simply,deeply embarassed that I missed this way back in October of last year! The same hard-headed and stubborn drive to be free and independent can possibly provide dividends if You can somehow Show Her that She's not being put out to Pasture. My Heart goes out to You,Your Wife,and yes,Your Mom ! Again,Thanx for being a Good Son ! :up:

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 9:26 am

I just went through this stuff. I asked the attorney if there's anything I should get done. He said "Power of Attorney, and Health Proxy". He also recommended "assistant power of attorney, and assistant Health Proxy". We never needed either BUT, if needed, they were in place. Saves a lot of legal B.S.. A living will is another thing to think about. As long as the patient is competent, they can make there own medical calls. The health proxy makes the decisions if patient is not able to make them for themselves. The Power of Attorney can legally sign papers.

rubicondave33
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite

Post by rubicondave33 » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 4:02 pm

We have both now. Mom won't hear of a will, she said its too morbid. I guess she doesn't want to confront her own mortality. We do have her finances in good order now though. Hanging in there!

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 4:23 pm

Seems like a lot depends on your Mom's mental competency and level of responsibility. In other words, will she continue to let you guide her, or will she go out tomorrow and borrow another $10K and run up credit card debts? You might want to "lock" her credit bureau files and reduce credit card limits, same as you would in case of identity theft.

Getting a POA is easy, getting guardianship or whatever it's called it not. Be alert for signs of deterioration. With my MIL, we were very fortunate in that she had enough periods of clarity to recognize her own periods of fuzziness, and she initiated the POA and turned over the finances to us before she got in trouble.

Return to “Health”