Horses day 4

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. May. 10, 2023 1:39 pm

Just lettin them get used to their new home. Couple weeks should cover all that. Now we're also lettin em get used to me & the old lady. Gotta give her credit, she's real good with horses. Gonna try a few pix --- wish this old fool luck!!!! :roll: :lol: Most impt. is gettin them comfortable comin to to us. Which we could not do when they 1st got here---PROGRESS--slow but sure. :clap: :lol:

Attachments

IMG_0001 - Copy (2).JPG
.JPG | 64.3KB | IMG_0001 - Copy (2).JPG
IMG_0003 - Copy (2).JPG
.JPG | 58.8KB | IMG_0003 - Copy (2).JPG
IMG_0004 - Copy.JPG
.JPG | 58.4KB | IMG_0004 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
.JPG | 59.3KB | IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0002 - Copy (2).JPG
.JPG | 64.8KB | IMG_0002 - Copy (2).JPG

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Wed. May. 10, 2023 1:53 pm

Good looking pair, FF........they will keep you busy this Summer!!!
Cheers

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. May. 10, 2023 2:17 pm

Thanx D. :)

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Wed. May. 10, 2023 2:24 pm

Mints and a head pat. Friends forever.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. May. 10, 2023 2:39 pm

Cute kids right there.

You don't even need treats...but it could help.

Never been around horses much. Would love to work with them, especially a couple young ones...that way I could work my mojo from the ground up. :lol: I don't have any mojo...just ask my wife. :lol:

I like watching different trainers to see what I can learn from them. Always found something to learn from each one. Monty Roberts, Pat Perelli, Clinton Anderson, and several others I used to watch when I could. Interesting how some of it ties right in with working with dogs. Using some of the knowledge I've learned of dogs and watching horse trainers on television I once got a strange and skiddish dog to come to me from a distance...each time she'd look at me I'd turn and go the other way. If she didn't have her attention on me I'd whistle her, then turn the other way as soon as she looked at me. Closest she ever got to me was 50 yards. The rest of that time I worked her she was 100+ yards out to about 300. I'd whistle her, get her to stop and give me a split second look and I'd turn the other way...even disappear behind trees...all while I was on a zero-turn lawn mower. I eventually got her to work back towards me, then I'd leave her alone for awhile and she'd wonder off again. I finished mowing and seen her several hundred yards away at a neighbors house milling around being a dog. Whistled her, got her attention, turned the mower around and drove it into the barn and sat there. Never seen this dog in my life. Here she come right through the barn door and walked up to the mower to sniff my shoe. She turned around walked over to the barn door and laid down. I said to myself, "old girl I've got you and you don't even know it". I walked over to her, straddled her, stroked her back one time head to tail and I walked away from her headed to the house where my dad had been watching the entire time. She got up and walked by my side all the way to the house and sat down beside me and let my dad pet her. He said, "son I don't know what you just did, but I've been watching you work her nearly an hour and half that way and had I not seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it". Ended up she was an obvious stray that became my son's best friend until she dies of a heart attack at supper time right beside our dinner table.

All I did...wasn't me...but something I'd watched several horse trainers do with skiddish horses...pressure and release...and by gholly it works with dogs too. That's what got me interested in wanting to try working with some horses and learning from some good horse people.

Closest thing I have to that isn't exactly a trainer. My neighbor 1.5 miles down the road is 23 time bronc riding champion Shawn Minor. Look him up...

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. May. 10, 2023 2:59 pm

That what I did for 5 yrs. Billy. Yep, I've watched Shawn perform---He's GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's done with all that if I remember correctly. That's a beat ya up activity. Like so many things---I'm sure payin for all that now in my GOLDEN YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Wed. May. 10, 2023 6:40 pm

Very cool…

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. May. 10, 2023 7:43 pm

Do you work them long enough to do plowing and field work or just get them close?

Had a young coworker who rode bulls every chance he got. He'd come to work hardly able to walk but real excited and couldnt wait to do it again. Not for me but fun to watch, rodeos I mean.

Benny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker lite- house. Reading- garage
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Benny » Wed. May. 10, 2023 7:54 pm

Awesome Fred, looking forward to lot’s more pics

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Wed. May. 10, 2023 10:02 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. May. 10, 2023 2:59 pm
That what I did for 5 yrs. Billy. Yep, I've watched Shawn perform---He's GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's done with all that if I remember correctly.
I don’t know if he is or not, but I imagine he has because of his age by now. I hadn’t seen him to talk to him in about 6-8 years. I do see him and his family in their Copper Cowboy truck (which is looking pretty ragged) occasionally going down the road. I literally can drive to their house in less than two minutes. I haven’t had a chance to talk to him since our boys went to school together 2nd-3rd grade. Kole and Levi are near same age, Kole being slightly older. I never did get to see Shawn perform and by the time I knew who he was he’d won most of his titles. I grew up with his wife Tara. She was one year ahead of me in school. My parents knew her mom, and her grandparents knew my grandparents and went to the church where my grandpa pastored for decades. She comes from a good family and her grandparents were saints.

Did you mean you rode bronc’s for 5 years? I’d say riding anything like that is hard on the body, for sure.

They pulled Kole out of elementary school so they could travel, but he and Levi still speak when they see each other which isn’t often because of their schedules.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Wed. May. 10, 2023 10:09 pm

One of my good friends about 26 years my elder (now deceased) grew up around work horses…big black Percheron. His dad raised them, worked them, and sold them.

My uncle had a good mare out of cutting horse stock…Elderberry Ace daughter I believe.

That’s the extent of me being around horses, but I’ve always had a particular fondness for them…especially work horses and big work mules.

How long will you have them?

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. May. 11, 2023 12:53 am

Tomorrow : Horses day 5

Next day: Horses day 6

Next day....Horses day 7

etc.

Welcome to " Days of Horses' Lives " will the horses eat hay tomorrow, stayed tuned for the next episode

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”