John Deere 850

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Apr. 24, 2023 12:11 am

They tell me the mower deck weighs 500+lbs. Wow!
BC8F5F05-2B8C-4C50-AC68-8AC5260FCE2C.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.3MB | BC8F5F05-2B8C-4C50-AC68-8AC5260FCE2C.jpeg
FD354F8C-4A63-4ED2-9D1B-6282FAE0DB2A.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.1MB | FD354F8C-4A63-4ED2-9D1B-6282FAE0DB2A.jpeg
7FFB63CE-0DE3-4E40-879F-54514A27D36D.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.3MB | 7FFB63CE-0DE3-4E40-879F-54514A27D36D.jpeg
54417561-99A8-492D-9D3A-33AD0FDA3E0A.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.4MB | 54417561-99A8-492D-9D3A-33AD0FDA3E0A.jpeg
6D54D410-4D33-47C7-ADEC-5E0FAE5ABB73.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.4MB | 6D54D410-4D33-47C7-ADEC-5E0FAE5ABB73.jpeg
I think the hour meter said 860ish hours on it. Engine does turn over. Ordered a new fuel shut-off and filter assembly for $50…they wanted $30 just for the plastic bowl and paper filter element…so I just ordered the entire block assembly. Figured I’d start there since the fuel bowl was split, likely deteriorated by the sun and age. The fuel tank is clear empty so we’ll add some fuel to flush it out then put the new bowl and filter in place. Then we’ll see if we can get fuel to the injector pump and then on to the injectors. Should start from there. Put air in rear tires and load it up.

Once this one is loaded up and the Beaver as well, it’s on to the CAT 939 crawler loader then the JD 450C crawler loader. I know how to operate them and have for a few decades, but never really worked on them. This is a lot of fun for myself, my son, and my dad. Once I get these crawlers up and running I’m going to go over some safety with my son and put him in the seat for some seat time moving dirt and loading trucks.

I hope I can straighten the hood on the JD 850. Will likely tar this one completely down and do a full restoration…over time…as money allows. Lots of time, little money… :lol:

Hope I can find a free download on the operating and service manuals. I’ve heard the service manual is $400+ from John Deere. Ouch!!

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Apr. 24, 2023 12:43 am

Someone likes pain. LOL That thing is what, 40 yrs old?

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Apr. 24, 2023 1:14 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Mon. Apr. 24, 2023 12:43 am
Someone likes pain. LOL That thing is what, 40 yrs old?
Are you suggesting no one should like you because you’re old? :lol:

By the way, some of the best things in life and the best people I knew/know of were/are older.

It and another were free. :yes:

Scott in nwct
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ 671SU w/Efm S-15 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice anthracite lehigh
Other Heating: Peerless oil boiler

Post by Scott in nwct » Mon. Apr. 24, 2023 6:25 am

Great tractor. My brother in law has the ag. Version with bucket. Has a lot of power in a small package. The only thing I don’t like is the lack of foot room for my size 12 boots. They seem to get caught up between the pedals and shifter. Good luck with it. Scott

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Apr. 24, 2023 7:19 am

Billy, make sure you grease EVERYWHERE ya can find on all those treasures, check PTO/trans oil-Yep, ya might want to put some air in the JD tires!! :lol: Sometimes we forget the simple stuff-- on tires--when I first picked up my Wheel Horses--tires looked/were real rough--I bought a couple-3 cans of fix-a-flat & that worked for a few years till I could buy some new ones--lots cheaper then new tires + like I said--it worked for a few yrs. YEP, you got a gold mine there!!! :clap: 8-) ;)
Last edited by freetown fred on Mon. Apr. 24, 2023 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Mon. Apr. 24, 2023 7:20 am

Whoa'there Hoysseee!!!! That's a 'Texas size lawnmower'!!!!!
I recommend an engine oil/filter change and the hydraulic oil/filter change, and flush the radiator. If you like green, polish it. The Yanmar diesels are great on fuel mileage, and plenty of power. Nice tractor, enjoy!
Cheers

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Apr. 24, 2023 7:56 am

All points noted and on the list. Will double check all fluids before starting and once started will run long enough to get on the trailer and off, then the real fun starts…replacing all fluids, greasing, etc., and coming up with a plan of attack to eventually make her look new. Just hope I can straighten that hood…they’re $500 from what I am seeing. Ouch!

This one should be sound mechanically with the low hours. Too bad she’s sat outside at least a couple years, no way to know for sure how long, but at least that long.

There may be others that join the JD and Beaver. I’ll just have to wait and see.

Do you guys have any tips on degreasing and pressure washing besides keeping a strong nozzle away from paint and decals and covering electrical components?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Apr. 24, 2023 8:36 am

Im not much of a tractor mechanic but 40 years is young and its a JD so always has good value. The easiest way to save money while working on it is to stay out of the John Deere Parts Dealer stores. Too expensive there. Watch auctions including online auctions for parts (the hood). And ebay might have manuals a lot cheaper than you mentioned.

Tires, unless you find good ones cheap at an auction you might as well buy new ones. Half worn out tires will need replacing again. New ones wont. Expensive I know, but thats my experience with tractor tires. Good luck.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Mon. Apr. 24, 2023 4:45 pm

Just putting this out there, I don't know what you know. Some tires are loaded with calcium. Be careful with the valves, they are known to snap off with little pressure. Part of reason I mention it is one tire looks ok. If you put air in one and other is loaded it changes load distribution going on trailer. Just thinking safety.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Apr. 25, 2023 12:41 am

Hoytman wrote:
Mon. Apr. 24, 2023 1:14 am
Are you suggesting no one should like you because you’re old? :lol:

By the way, some of the best things in life and the best people I knew/know of were/are older.

It and another were free. :yes:
Consider selling parts off of it ? That's what I did with my body. I'm a head in a jar now.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Apr. 25, 2023 4:10 am

waytomany?s wrote:
Mon. Apr. 24, 2023 4:45 pm
Just putting this out there, I don't know what you know. Some tires are loaded with calcium. Be careful with the valves, they are known to snap off with little pressure. Part of reason I mention it is one tire looks ok. If you put air in one and other is loaded it changes load distribution going on trailer. Just thinking safety.
I had considered the calcium when I first looked at the tractor months ago, but had totally forgotten about it, so thanks for the reminder.

I do know that one tractor (1910 Ford) she had, had tires/rims leaking a red substance, which was probably beet juice. Farmer friend the other day told me they used to use calcium but said most farmers (around here at least) are using beet juice or washer fluid to load tires with weight. Of course, washer fluid having alcohol in it and beet juice m is being sprayed directly on roads these days in winter and/or is mixed directly with road salt to treat roads.

Good tip.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. May. 02, 2023 5:18 pm

Put the new fuel shut off block in place. Cleaned the tank. Hooker up the hoses, bled the air out of fuel lines. Ignition switch will turn on lights, but won’t turn the starter over. Hmmm…time for the jumper. That’ll be a project for another day.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. May. 02, 2023 5:24 pm

Checked oil, it was running out. Hmmmnnn…better drain the oil etc.

About two quarts of clear water ran out of the oil pan (likely from rain getting into exhaust…not good) them came the oil.

Re-filled with oil, replaced oil filter. Poured in 1.5 gallon of diesel fuel…ready to start with jumper. Hit the jumper button once. BANG! Engine is locked up. NOT GOOD!!!

Time for a lengthy sit with k-1 and tranny fluid…fill her until she runs out the top.

May do that may not. May not even take the tractor now. I don’t know…

We’ll see…

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Tue. May. 02, 2023 5:32 pm

bill,
ugghhh!!!!!!...yukkk!!!!!!....etc.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. May. 02, 2023 7:35 pm

Not good at all. I guess theres a chance it will run after unstuck but I'd hate to bet it will run well. But only one way to find out. If you do get it running dont run it long then change the oil again. Theres gonna be rust crud in there to get rid of.

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”