Broken trailer axle

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 4:26 pm

A62693A8-2C5B-4BA8-9CD5-9DEFAC92B821.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.3MB | A62693A8-2C5B-4BA8-9CD5-9DEFAC92B821.jpeg
48F5A07C-3117-4093-97F7-C97FFEF0C8D4.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.2MB | 48F5A07C-3117-4093-97F7-C97FFEF0C8D4.jpeg
No idea what this axle would have rated at, but for 5 years it hauled 3600+lbs of water several times a week until I put all new bearings in. Then of course the tires splayed and then the axle cracked. That axle actually had an “S’ curve in it 5+ years ago when my dad bought the trailer, so I figured at some point in time I would be putting a new axle under it.

I would like to put in a 3500-6000lb axle under it (6000lb is better) but likely won’t find one in 6’ length. May have to settle for 3500lb axle.

Current wheels hub opening is 2 1/4”.

Lug nut spacing if I measured from the right place, c-2-c of lug nuts (5 lug) measured from center of top lug to center of third lug was 4 1/4”.

Springs c-2-c is 58 1/2”.

Outside hub to outside of other hub (where wheels touch each hub) is 72”.
Last edited by Hoytman on Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 4:59 pm

IMG_3551.MOV
.MOV | 130.9MB | IMG_3551.MOV
Hopefully you guys can see this.
Trailer is actually just below enough to haul a nice sized zero turn mower and a couple push mowers. Plenty of room for my 450 gallon water tank I use to haul water.

It’s a tilt trailer too, but I can’t use that feature because the guy who built it designed it wrong.

Even driving my John Deere 214 up on it to the front, which weighs nearly 650-700, me and my boy (xtra 450 lbs.) still have to stand on it to get it to go down. So that part is about useless, so I bought a set of ramps for it.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 5:33 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 9:46 am
YEOSERS , keep your head up Bill.
Been meaning to ask, you don’t have water on your place ?
Time to put down a 2” drive point well and put a pitcher pump and dog house over it the rental on a compressor and drive head will be paid back the first year you don’t do all that hauling and tearing stuff up.
2 cents worth from a long ways away of course
steve
It’s tough at times.

Three wells caved in since 1954. Part of the problem is the well drillers keeping doing the same thing and keep getting the same results. They drill down to 40-45 ft and then only case half that distance, which is crazy if you ask me.

I have a 2800 gallons cistern that I basically turned into a large holding tank. I need to hook my gutters back up to go into the tank. Just takes a $20 piece of pipe and a new way to filter the water, which would be easy. I plan to do this, but wife wanted cleaner water from town for cooking. Don’t know why…she never used it for that. Buys for water I gallons for that. Here I thought she was a farm girl too. Uh huh…

Anyway, I was going to put a new well in and the permit requires a holding tank. So, that meant no rain water allowed in, plus the old filtration system for the rain water had went bad so I pulled that all out 5 years ago when I resealed the inside of the cistern. The entire cistern my grandpa built. He was 165 lbs soaking wet and this fat bay can barely get down inside. The plan is to tear it all out someday and fix it so a fat boy can make future repairs or just fill it in.

Lots of rock here is the problem, but I’d love to add a small pitcher pump…to the well casing cover. LOL! I will do that whenever I can get the well drilled. Not sure I could drive a drive point down with all the rock in this yard, but I’m sure I could with an industrial compressor and hammer drill. Plus the fill my grandpa put in the yard to build it up. The creek used to be up against the back patio, literally only feet away. Grandpa hauled in all sorts of fill to create a shallow back yard which is now about 35ft from patio to the wall he built for the creek which is 6 tall. Creek bottom is about 10 feet lower than my patio. All that fill is on blue clay and shelf rock. What we call the upper yard isn’t much better. Maybe could drive one there somewhere. At some point I will try that.

I have a spring down on the creek bank that I’d like to tap into and pump water up to the house. Also have about 90 linear feet of house and garage gutters (one side of the house/garage) not counting the shed, to catch roof water. So I have options.

Trailer is 9’x5’.
Last edited by Hoytman on Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 6:11 pm

At this point I’m looking to put a new axle under it.

Good prices on 3500lb and 6000lb axles here. Some that I would need are out of stock.
https://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/3500-lb-Capacit ... c_523.html

If anyone knows of other good places with decent prices by all means speak up and/or give me a link.
Last edited by Hoytman on Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 6:39 pm

You can see two holes near the end of the trailer. I have a rectangle bar that goes back there just like the one you see in the front. Allows for two layer loading if I need it.
C1D5A16E-3CE1-4AC3-A7E4-E3C52ECFA40B.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.5MB | C1D5A16E-3CE1-4AC3-A7E4-E3C52ECFA40B.jpeg
Entire trailer needs painting but not until I no longer need it to haul water with. Hopefully sooner than later.

Pully for a hand wench, or an electric. Hand crank mounted where rusty spot is on the tongue. I have it, but took it off because it was in the way of the old dolly and the rope was bad.
A468367F-D5D2-4441-A7D9-524C2C6D68A1.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.6MB | A468367F-D5D2-4441-A7D9-524C2C6D68A1.jpeg
Spare tire used to mount on the board, but it was a bad spot for it. Came off while driving down the road. Thankfully no one was around when it came off. I’m going to mount it on the front bar on the bed of trailer.

082517B2-AF05-4042-A374-981D87EC79DB.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.6MB | 082517B2-AF05-4042-A374-981D87EC79DB.jpeg
I have some wooden side rails for it, but plan to make some solid wood rails for hauling bulk items like mulch and coal.
9655E61F-053C-492A-B498-93C8A119634A.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.6MB | 9655E61F-053C-492A-B498-93C8A119634A.jpeg
Back of trailer tapered for tilting. Also new LED taillights.
9344497B-8F60-412F-85D4-56EEA3C00382.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.5MB | 9344497B-8F60-412F-85D4-56EEA3C00382.jpeg
I have to put a new dolly on it as the old one broke.

My biggest complaint is the “C” channel side pockets are too small. They’re not wide enough or deep enough. That is, a 2” strap hook not a 3/8” chain hook won’t fit down through them. Have to strap to the outside which means the hooks fall out…even with my 1” straps the hooks won’t go down through. Sucks! The pockets needed to stick out further from the trailer side, or better yet I need to add a piece of 1/2”x 2” metal strap welded on the outside of the pockets front to back. Obviously, two pieces both sides like that because of the tries. The strap just gives more places to hook to, and more places for reflective tape for side markings at night too. Except for the new LED lights it’s hard to see at night.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 6:48 pm

Northern Tool used to have a lot of trailer parts and axles. Unsure if they still do or the prices.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 7:00 pm

warminmn wrote:
Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 6:48 pm
Northern Tool used to have a lot of trailer parts and axles. Unsure if they still do or the prices.
Oh yeah, thanks! I totally forgot about them.

I need a bigger and heavier trailer. LOL!

EDIT:
Just checked with them. They don’t offer very many sizes, and of course not what I need. Great suggestion though. :yes:

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Sep. 18, 2022 6:47 am

Google trailer axles, there's plenty of places that offer every axle you can imagine.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Sep. 19, 2022 1:55 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Sun. Sep. 18, 2022 6:47 am
Google trailer axles, there's plenty of places that offer every axle you can imagine.
I have been. Just thought maybe someone had a place or two they had dealt with and could give a referral. :yes:

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Sep. 23, 2022 10:43 pm

Not sure if It mentioned this or not. I may have posted about it already, so if I’m repeating myself please forgive me.

Y’all know the axle was broken on my dads trailer that I had been using to haul my water. Took the wheels off and one rim was completely cracked all the way around the bolt pattern. Ugghhh! That could have been a disaster.

Anyway…

Got the springs and axle off the trailer on Thursday. Was quite easy and only took me about an hour.

Dad decided he wanted to put new springs under it as well, so the entire underside will be brand new. Had a single heavy spring under it on each side. I’ll use them for something else later, but If think they made it ride hard and bounce all over when empty. The new springs have 5 leafs and should ride better and are heavier.

Dad already bought the new 3500lb Dexter axle w/2” camber. It’s already in the garage waiting for the rest of the parts to arrive and they are supposed to arrive Sunday.

Dad ordered two new springs as well that are 2500lb each with an entire spring kit minus the hangers…new hanger bolts, shackles, 2 u-bolt kits, etc., all for less than $400. Dad also ordered two new rims and two new trailer tires plus a new upgraded size 2” ball coupler for the tongue. Now everything we have will be 2”.

I just put new LED tail lights on his trailer a month ago and danged if I didn’t catch the wiring under the trailer with the grinder cut-off wheel and pert near cut the wiring in two, so it’s going to get all new wiring as well thanks to a slip of the wheel.

Shouldn’t take but a few hours to put the new springs and axle under it and get the tires on it, but I’m going to clean up some of the rust underneath and undercoat it.

All of that…
…meant that I had to call a guy to haul me a load of water already …$100…lasts about a week or a tad more depending how much clothes washing gets done…and it’s never done. :lol: I’m due for a second $100 dollar load, but wait…

So water hauling while the trailer was down was going to cost me. Enter a good friend of mine…

…he came into the wife’s office and said for me to contact him. Said he knew water hauling by the big truck was expensive and he had a way to help me.

Here was is offer…
1991 Texas Bragg pipe Top

http://www.texasbraggtrailers.com/product/pipe-sa/
0197A6C9-C29B-47B1-82D3-092E9B809B99.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.8MB | 0197A6C9-C29B-47B1-82D3-092E9B809B99.jpeg
Tilt trailer…3500 lb axle w/ brake plates so I can put brakes on it later if I choose, 2” ball, new jack, and I have a nice large Sycamore rough sawn board to make a tailgate that he threw in on the deal.

It’s built well, but not as heavy as my dads homemade trailer, which will be my water hauling trailer. This new to me trailer will haul water (half tank loads) until I get dads trailer put back together. Then the new trailer will haul mowers, and lighter loads.
970EB5F5-7BD0-4323-9BA5-DA33F5A94423.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.7MB | 970EB5F5-7BD0-4323-9BA5-DA33F5A94423.jpeg
Come winter I will restore this trailer in the garage.

So I gathered a little money, borrowed half from my boy, and I bought this trailer for what the guy was going to haul me 5-6 loads for. Made more sense to go this route than just give my money away and not have anything to show for it.

I am certain my friend would have let me borrow this trailer had he had it licensed. Instead he gave me a great deal on a trailer that around here is bringing about $1300 used. Rural King wanted $3300 for a new 2000 lb axle trailer.

It needs all new lights and wiring which won’t cost much, maybe <$60.

I just ordered two brand new trailer tires for it because I caught a nail in the way home…would you believe it. Just the way things go for me. LOL! Tires will be here Saturday.

Keep in mind all of this interrupted me buying coal which will come after I get dads trailer put back together. Spent the coal money on the new trailer. LOL! I can’t win.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Nov. 30, 2022 5:52 am

I had some problems with a trailer a year or so ago. I bought it new and the paint underneath was never good. I had 2 bent axles probably from overloading, a broken spring mount, the inner fenders were rusting out, and there was other rust working at the metal so I wanted to stop the rust and fix the trailer. It is wise to shop for axles. I bought Dexter axles from a local welding company that builds trailers for half the cost I would have paid elsewhere. I had to wait several weeks/month to get them but I didn't care.
[media] [/media]

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”