Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Sep. 04, 2022 12:33 pm

warminmn wrote:
Sun. Sep. 04, 2022 12:03 pm
Possibly, possibly not. Everything is claimed to be safe. Very few chemicals are and there has to be chemicals in the construction of the panels or wires. Will they leech onto the soil? Time will tell. Perhaps when they take a stray bullet from a coyote hunter they will. Still, why use good land for the panels? Im talking large solar farms, not someone putting them up for their own use or in city solar farms. The reason is subsides. If it wasnt for subsides they would not put them up on good cropland as it wouldnt be economical, and then the question of growing things under them wouldnt matter.
Cadmium was the one I remember reading.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Sep. 04, 2022 1:10 pm

warminmn wrote:
Sun. Sep. 04, 2022 12:03 pm
Possibly, possibly not. Everything is claimed to be safe. Very few chemicals are and there has to be chemicals in the construction of the panels or wires. Will they leech onto the soil? Time will tell. Perhaps when they take a stray bullet from a coyote hunter they will. Still, why use good land for the panels? Im talking large solar farms, not someone putting them up for their own use or in city solar farms. The reason is subsides. If it wasnt for subsides they would not put them up on good cropland as it wouldnt be economical, and then the question of growing things under them wouldnt matter.
When I said, “…at this point in time (real-time in history)” … I was meaning that large solar farms likely only take up a single digit %, perhaps even less than 1% of farm ground. Almost nothing. Yet nearly all farms, likely totaling over 95% of them, use some form of chemicals.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Sep. 04, 2022 2:02 pm

I hate spray also. I get tired of being downwind from them after they spray all summer. If there was a way to grow crops without weeds and diseases in a quantity large enough to feed us it would sure be nice. But nobody wants to pull weeds anymore and diseases and bugs seem to be brought into our country quicker than we can kill them, usually from the china area it seems like. And nobody would like the higher prices for groceries either if crops werent sprayed, meat included. Its a no win thing.

It does help when small growers sell veggies locally. Many of them are organic or close to it. But corn, beans, wheat, etc, it is just too difficult.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Sep. 04, 2022 10:13 pm

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Sep. 04, 2022 10:24 pm

the solution is to grow your own food and buy local. Save up for hard times like your elders did generations ago.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Sep. 06, 2022 9:52 am

lincolnmania wrote:
Sun. Sep. 04, 2022 10:24 pm
the solution is to grow your own food and buy local. Save up for hard times like your elders did generations ago.
Been doing that for half a century.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Sep. 06, 2022 10:36 am

A lot of people are.

Just about every town here in CNY now has a Farmer's market day and they seem to be well attended.

In recent years we've seen an increase in road-side farm stands here in CNY and eastern NY when we travel between houses. And we stop at several each trip. Some are off our normal route, and we only found them by taking back roads to make the trips more interesting.

Plus, going by how expensive and how some stores even have limits on how many cases of canning jars and lids customers can buy, a lot of people have been getting into canning than just a few years ago. Glad that just by luck, we stocked up on canning supplies a few years back.

Paul

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Sep. 06, 2022 3:00 pm

We got about 10 cases of canning jars before the prices went up. Have six cases of quarts and 2 cases of pints to fill yet this season.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Wed. Sep. 07, 2022 8:19 pm

I take advantage of the market forces to fill the freezer. Just bought a whole 10lb Ribeye for 5.29LB and a Whole 15 lb Shortloin (T.bone steak) For $3.99 lb .
Wal mart in contrast charges as much as $20 Lb for ribeye. And $12 for Tbones
Chicken parts ,drums and thighs can be had for 50 to 60c lb by 40 lb box. Smaller amounts cost from $1.50lb to $2.00lb in supermarkets. And that is now after all the price runups over the last few months.

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 8:07 pm

I just bought a quarter beef for 2.50/# plus $125 for processing. Cheapest I've paid in 8+ years. The pork I raised cost more than that.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 8:14 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 8:07 pm
I just bought a quarter beef for 2.50/# plus $125 for processing. Cheapest I've paid in 8+ years. The pork I raised cost more than that.
Right because there is a temporary glut in the market with so many ranchers reducing herd sizes because of drought and feed prices. So down the road that fact will drive prices up as there will be a shortage of beef for as long as it takes to build up the herd numbers again. They cant bounce back from low herd numbers as fast as pork and chicken producers.

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 8:57 pm

k-2 wrote:
Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 8:14 pm
Right because there is a temporary glut in the market with so many ranchers reducing herd sizes because of drought and feed prices. So down the road that fact will drive prices up as there will be a shortage of beef for as long as it takes to build up the herd numbers again. They cant bounce back from low herd numbers as fast as pork and chicken producers.
You are correct in general, our local small town guy just hasn't realized yet what it is costing him to raise it. :D

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 9:03 pm

I figure,loosely mind you, the pork I raised cost around 2.88/# per the hanging weight. Actual final cuts probably put it at 3.30/#, give or take. That's just buying the pigs, feed and processing. I used local farmer feed mill feed and scraps. I don't know how to do it any cheaper.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Fri. Sep. 09, 2022 8:15 am

waytomany?s wrote:
Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 9:03 pm
I figure,loosely mind you, the pork I raised cost around 2.88/# per the hanging weight. Actual final cuts probably put it at 3.30/#, give or take. That's just buying the pigs, feed and processing. I used local farmer feed mill feed and scraps. I don't know how to do it any cheaper.
That does not allow you anything for your labor correct?

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Fri. Sep. 09, 2022 8:34 pm

k-2 wrote:
Fri. Sep. 09, 2022 8:15 am
That does not allow you anything for your labor correct?
Right, bare costs. And I didn't count the pipe and fittings or the old hose I cut up for the homemade waterer. The scrap larch leftover from this years raised bed project used to make a feeder. Had to make a feeder after they destroyed the second half plastic barrel I was using. Oh, and I didn't count the $50 tsc sh*t fork. $50 friggen dollars for a fork.

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”