Farm the Sun... And have crops too...

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Apr. 25, 2023 5:34 pm

nut wrote:
Tue. Apr. 25, 2023 5:24 pm
WE had some of that going on around here to. One guy spread transformer oil on the dirt road in front of his house to keep the dust down. They caught up to him on the run and put him in jail. Another's gas station tanks were getting water in them. He would put the contaminated gas in barrels and take it for a ride. Another guy was putting barrels of chemicals in his unlined landfill in the middle of the night. It happens. I worry about legal chemicals in our food chain. Things like Round Up. It's in all of us now.
When I worked for another company, a large company with multiple facilities, I got a call from a manager of another location. He wanted to know what he should do with all these barrels of hazardous waste. LOL I asked him why did not address the issue as each barrel was full (keeping the place as a low-level HAZMAT producer which is easier to deal with v. having a zillion barrels and being deemed a large-level HAZMAT producer which is a nightmare). He said he had no idea, was recently hired. I told him he's in destination F ... and that he should get ready to bend over. The company was fined and learned a lession...my facility was OK, whenever a barrel got full, I dealt with it immediately to keep out place as a low-level HAZMAT producer. Both mine and the other facility produced equal amts of waste. Dealing with HAZMAT waste was just a perk at that job in addition to other minor things associated with the business.

Using oil transformer oil, full of nasty stuff, was not too smart. With water in gas, one simply pumps out the water from the bottom of the tank..one should not get more than a quart of gas from such a procedure. water and gas don't mix and the tanks are designed to have the water collect at the bottom where one can put a tube down to pump out the water.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Apr. 25, 2023 5:55 pm

I had a jerk pass me today with a huge chemical tank shooting juice out the side towards me, the side a cop wouldnt see. It does happen.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Apr. 25, 2023 7:04 pm

And micrioplastics. I think that's why we burn so well in the crematorium.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Apr. 25, 2023 7:12 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Tue. Apr. 25, 2023 5:13 pm
Way back, when I worked for a waste company, when a load of liquid waste would come into the facility we would test it for heavy metals. Those that failed the test were denied the ability to dump. Such loads were then dumped on the interstate via the driver opening his tank's drain value and driving around on the interstate on the east side of Chicago....this is the way.
On Long Island some of the mob got caught taking the big bucks to dispose of the hazardous waste, falsified the paperwork, and then mixed it in with home heating oil.

Paul

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Apr. 25, 2023 8:09 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Tue. Apr. 25, 2023 4:02 pm
Unless the composition of panels has changed, they leach out cadmium and another chemical that I cannot recall. Supposedly these chemicals contaminate the soil to the point that when the solar farm is decommissioned, the soil is unfit for crops for thousands of years. Been awhile since I've read up on it, maybe someone with a more current take on it can respond.
NOT GOOD!!! :no1:

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Apr. 25, 2023 8:10 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Mon. Apr. 24, 2023 11:00 am
I have wondered why more wind and solar equipment is not located in urban areas. They make small wind turbines that could be located on tall buildings. Solar can be mounted on rooftops. If the people in city’s think this stuff is so great they need to start in their own back yard.

This past weekend I went to a hockey rink in Massachusetts and the entire parking lot was full of solar panels mounted high on poles. It was easy to park underneath. In hot weather I think it would be nice to park in the shade.
Good post.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Apr. 25, 2023 8:27 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Apr. 25, 2023 7:12 pm
On Long Island some of the mob got caught taking the big bucks to dispose of the hazardous waste, falsified the paperwork, and then mixed it in with home heating oil.

Paul
Dilution is the solution to pollution.....old waste handlers' motto

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Apr. 26, 2023 8:16 am

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Apr. 26, 2023 8:28 am

I have no idea how accurate that article is but its interesting and im sure partly true, or more than partly. So sometime in the future when panels are removed from farmland it will be farmed again, producing food that we will eat. And the plants will suck up the harmful leaked goodies left from solar. Its looking less green to me all the time. Kinda makes roundup look like a heath drink ;)

I have no desire to eat food produced under panels.

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Apr. 26, 2023 8:35 am

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Apr. 26, 2023 8:28 am
I have no idea how accurate that article is but its interesting and im sure partly true, or more than partly. So sometime in the future when panels are removed from farmland it will be farmed again, producing food that we will eat. And the plants will suck up the harmful leaked goodies left from solar. Its looking less green to me all the time. Kinda makes roundup look like a heath drink ;)

I have no desire to eat food produced under panels.
That article references an article he wrote 3 years earlier. I ran out of time to link that one. This article is based on tests by HBR, I believe that's what it was. Last time I was researching this stuff articles kept disappearing. We have a local dentist who is fighting an installation near his home. The list of dishonest tactics used by the companies is huge. He also swears Google hides or deleted critical news articles. He has gone to printing everything he finds, just for proof of it's existence.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Apr. 26, 2023 9:28 am

Interesting. What it may come down too, is if the metal/chemical is in the panels theres a chance it could leak or leach out. Maybe it will, maybe it wont. Trusting the people making money from something is rarely wise no matter what the product is.

The land filled windmill blades, Im not real concerned about those other than the eyesore and the room they take up. Who knows, maybe someone will figure out a way to use them in building construction or something else, to at least lessen the number of them. But people do really have to look further into the future on any of these things they are calling green, what to do with them when they are junk.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Apr. 26, 2023 10:03 am

"And none of this even addresses the biggest threat facing solar power today, which are revelations that perhaps both key raw materials and the panels themselves are being made by forced labor in Xinjiang province in China. "

China must have different labor laws than the US. Go figure. One can show their objection by not buying products from such "forced labor".

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Jun. 13, 2023 9:57 am

"East Texas Solar Farm Contamination"

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Tue. Jun. 13, 2023 10:40 am

Erosion is a byproduct of building anything. It's nice to know you care about the land though. Imagine trying to build the interstate highway system today. It would never get out of the gate with all the permits and wet land mitigation.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Jun. 13, 2023 2:37 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Tue. Jun. 13, 2023 9:57 am
"East Texas Solar Farm Contamination"

The people said they support solar (at 5:00 into the vid)...one arguing against it should say that they do not support it. Politicians will only hear that they support it and then go deaf after that.

They should say that solar farms makes deserts out of the land that they are put onto making solar unacceptable.

If arguing against something never say anything positive about it..

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”