New Record, 44 Bottom Plow Pulled By Steam

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Thu. Sep. 23, 2021 6:16 pm

Outstanding post...thanks for sharing.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Sep. 24, 2021 9:13 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Thu. Sep. 23, 2021 4:37 pm
For some reason my phone is saying the site isn’t secure. Sure would like to read more about this. Will try in computer tomorrow.

Sir William and my son would have made a great pair. My son, since age 4, has studied about steam tractors and steam locomotives since before he was old enough to read. YouTube has been a great tool during rainy and cold days for kids willing to spend time learning rather than playing video games. He understands the minute workings of the mechanicals and the designs like no other young kid I’ve seen. Anyone have any old antique or new sweepers/vacuums needing repairs? He can fix them...since he was young. He can fix your truck or car, and tend your coal stoves too. He’s wanting to restore an old base heater. We’ll get to that eventually, when we find one.

According to my son, now 15, he says no modern engine can compare to steam where torque is concerned. He says, “steam power has enough power to turn the earth backwards if there’s enough weight to put the traction to the dirt.” :lol:

I wish Steve and Paulie lived closer to us. It’s untelling what the three of you could get into. He’d be that much the better for it cause ol’ Dad here can only show him so much.
I’d say you need to move up to Cleveland area. Then we could rig a gang of you two, Paulie, Art, McGiever and myself. I’m saying there’s no tellin what might occure.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Sep. 24, 2021 9:54 pm

That would be awesome...getting together, that is. Not sure about moving to Cleveland , though I could be persuaded to move around Port Clinton area. Then I could fish and duck hunt and not have to travel to do it.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Sep. 24, 2021 10:15 pm

Here's the video about making that monster 150.

Used to have a steam engine come through here on it's way north for the fall color tours into the Adirondacks. When we'd here the whistle down the end of the valley the kid who worked from me a I would bolt out of the shop and run over to the tracks. A few times it stopped here to pickup water. That gave us a chance to walk around up close and the stand there as it took off. Impressive how easily it moves those many tons with just opening the throttle a little !!!!

Paul

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. Sep. 25, 2021 8:35 am

They still run a fall excursion out of Chattanooga with an old steam engine. You can hear the whistle for miles. I have been up close to it as well. Impressive machines!

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”