D-Day 77 yrs later

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jun. 07, 2021 12:09 pm

A day late, but in remembrance of all those Patriots gave their lives--prayers to them & their families.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Mon. Jun. 07, 2021 4:05 pm

I bet few people took a moment to recognize the significance of the day. Soon the last WWII veteran will have passed away. Then the last Korean War vet will follow a decade later. Sad beyond measure but I thank them for what they did.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Mon. Jun. 07, 2021 6:37 pm

I remember a bunch of them.......

Kevin

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jun. 07, 2021 8:22 pm

There was only 1 vet that made it back there this year for the gathering.

Eisenhower sure caught slack about not attacking quicker but he did it right, waiting until he had overwhelming force ready.

Ive posted this before but we always have new members. This is the complete radio program that was taped that day as news trickles in. It is many hours long. Not much info at first. Really a nice piece of preserved history of that day.

Edit, crap, link doesnt work but I can attach the 1st hr so did that. It is on the archive .org site if you want to listen to more. There are about 24 hrs all together.

LeoinRI
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fonderies de Lion
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: J.S. Peckham Chicago #10, Weso, Our Glenwood 111, Sougland Excelsior 183

Post by LeoinRI » Tue. Jun. 08, 2021 9:56 am

Thanks for the broadcast link.
My Dad left Weymouth, England on July 8 at 09:10 and arrived at Ste Mère Église the following day. During the crossing both engines stalled. The remainder of the fleet left them behind. After a few hours and an overflight by a German spotter, he convinced the crew to allow him to investigate. After cleaning the clogged fuel filters the engines were started. Three months later he met my mom.....

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Tue. Jun. 08, 2021 10:49 am

My Dad was in Naval special ops and commanded an eight man ops team that went ashore with the Army rangers on the first assault wave on Omaha Beach. The were a demo team that were supposed to blow the tank barricades on the beach. They didn't make it. They took a mortor round and 4 members died and 4 survived to be rescued from the beach hours later. My dad was one of them. His back was pretty torn up but he manage to stay behind some floating wreckage to shelter from the enemy machine gun fire. Just one of the many heroic acts that took place on that beach on that day. The aspirations of our nation and our men and woman during that time to preserve the free world is something that should be recognized by this generation and all future generations that freedom does not come free.

Thanks for reminding everyone about June 6, 1944 FF.

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”