How to get rid of a family of skunks ?

Old-Duckman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Electric heat pump, wood pellet insert

Post by Old-Duckman » Tue. Jul. 07, 2020 7:29 pm

I have a concrete slab porch poured over flag stone. It is old and has been undermined by various animals over the years. Last year I concreted over the large openings which stopped the ground hogs. This year new openings were made and this evening when I looked out the window by the porch I saw 6 skunks by the porch. I saw some entering and leaving through an opening in the stones.

If it was one I would have shot it but I knew I could never shoot all 6 without several of them spraying.

What can I do to get rid of this skunk family ? I have no problem killing them (I'm not a bleeding heart). The 6 I saw were all the same size, rather small. I would assume that there is at least a mother skunk that I didn't see...but if not, 6 is enough !

Please help !

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jul. 07, 2020 8:01 pm

You got a problem my friend-----live traps--set i few------------you're gonna get sprayed no matter what--I'm sure some idiots would suggest baitin them--then they'll go back underneath & die & you'll have the DEATH stink--ORRRRRRR call DEC & let them deal with it--personally that's what I'd try first.--good luck with it! :)

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Jul. 07, 2020 8:23 pm

Just throw some mothballs in there. They'll pack up and leave and take there smell with them.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jul. 07, 2020 8:35 pm

Having a skunk spray outside the house is way better than having one die underneath. I usually light 'em up with a spotlight and a 12 gauge.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jul. 07, 2020 8:39 pm

Mothballs might work but not always. Dont be cheap if you do that, use a couple boxes.

You do not want a dead skunk left under your home. i have one under my living room floor which has a shallow crawl space. real humid weather I can very lightly smell skunk and I know its been there at least 23 years. At one time I thought of trying to pull it put but figured it would make it worse if I did it wrong.

If you live trap them you can kill them with a pole using acetone in a syringe. Ive mostly done that when they were in foot hold traps but have done a lot and they seldom spray. There are videos online. But 6 of them plus momma? Not sure I'd try that close to a house.

I'd probably waste a night and watch from a distance until they leave and plug the hole. Make sure you see momma leave and the little ones. Then after you are sure no more are under there (after plugged) as you will hear them, dig a trench along the cement and bury a roll of steel to keep them out permanent.

little ones play close together. i got 4 small ones with one shot from my shotgun a few years ago, maybe 20 yards away. If you shoot any either burn them right there or cover with gas and then dirt and it will stop most of the smell. If they spray a big area your gonna smell them a long time. If you must shoot them, try to get about 12 feet away with a shotgun and drill it dead center in its back, not towards its front shoulder, dead center. dead instantly and the spray goes into the ground as its back is broken and cant lift its tail. Shoot it in the head and your gonna have stink a long time, most of the time.

Dont live trap and relocate them. It can spread disease and just makes them someone elses problem. Rabies can live in a skunk quite a while before they have symptoms. Kill them or live with them on your property.

They are actually a very gentle somewhat slow moving animal. if they just didnt smell so bad I'd love having them around.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Tue. Jul. 07, 2020 10:05 pm

Could you flood the hole, live trap and or use rat ice?

Old-Duckman

Post by Old-Duckman » Wed. Jul. 08, 2020 8:35 am

Thanks for the replies, I guess I’ll try the mothballs first. From what I understand it is best to do it at night when they have left...making sure mama is out too.

I can see them from my one window, they are about 15 feet away. Were there only one or two I’d just shoot them but I’m not Doc Holliday, there would likely be multiple sprays but only one or two funerals!

I’ll give the mothballs a try tonight if I see the exodus...I’ll post an update when I have something to report .

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jul. 08, 2020 8:44 am

I've tried moth balls to no avail---I'd still call DEC & let them deal with it due to the rabies factor--why send them to someone else with that threat?

Old-Duckman

Post by Old-Duckman » Wed. Jul. 08, 2020 9:00 am

I’m not sure what DEC stands for. You are in New York, I’m in PA, I don’t know what government agency could or would assist me.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Jul. 08, 2020 9:43 am

I had the same non-luck with mothballs as Fred, but its worth a try for sure.

Just an added note, if you catch momma in a trap the others will hang around her long enough to plug the hole. Or watch and when they leave plug the hole like Ive said.

Are there still states that will deal with these problems? (im assuming that is what DEC is?) Here its all private business except certain things like diseased or neglected animals and beaver control.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jul. 08, 2020 10:14 am

OK---call your Game Warden--DEC is Dept. of Environmental Conservation--don't get much more gamey then skunks!! LOL
Old-Duckman wrote:
Wed. Jul. 08, 2020 9:00 am
I’m not sure what DEC stands for. You are in New York, I’m in PA, I don’t know what government agency could or would assist me.

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Thu. Jul. 09, 2020 8:26 pm

i think a claymore.. will work. when they leave and are about 20 feet out plunge the plunger. Just be sure its aimed low enough, seeing how they are small, blast concussion will roll them another 20 further out. :drool:

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Thu. Jul. 09, 2020 10:25 pm

Old-Duckman

Post by Old-Duckman » Fri. Jul. 10, 2020 2:13 pm

Just checked locally, I can get 25 pounds of dry ice, in 5/8” pellets for $20. The man said put it in the den in as many entrances you can find and cover it over. He said it should not cause them to spray as they basically fall asleep. Of course then they will decay under there...could be nearly as bad a smell..?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Jul. 10, 2020 2:40 pm

Yes, it will stink. You want them out, not decaying in place.

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”